• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s USB DAC and Bridge Review

jeffbook

pma

Major Contributor
Just arrived. Looks excellent just out of the box. I have Win8.1 so I installed V4.86 drivers. Below is the link to my short review with some measurements

Good job, @JohnYang1997 and colleagues!

I usually do not speak much about sound but now I will. The sound is very good, with perfect resolution, tight bass, transparent in midrange and clean in highs. My best digital source so far. And unforgiving, nothing hiding.

BTW, I measured output noise as 2uVrms, 20Hz - 22kHz unweighted. S/N 120dB @22kHz unweighted.

Last edited:

Jim777

Forum Donor
Just got one to replace a MF V-DAC II. When I first plugged it in with the supplied USB cable in the front of my computer, I almost returned it because of the USB/computer noise (didn't sound like a ground loop). Then I switched it to the RCA and USB cable of my old DAC (which uses one of the rear USB ports) and the issue went away! So this might be a reminder that not every USB port on a computer is the same (especially those front ones), unless it was one of the cables.

usern

So this might be a reminder that not every USB port on a computer is the same (especially those front ones), unless it was one of the cables.
I wonder if the "audio USB ports" on motherboards attempt to address the USB computer noise

Jim777

Forum Donor
I wonder if the "audio USB ports" on motherboards attempt to address the USB computer noise
Looks like it cleans up the power, so it might be a safe bet with USB-powered devices such as this.

Conversely, the front ports have internal cables in the box that are probably just asking for trouble.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Looks like it cleans up the power, so it might be a safe bet with USB-powered devices such as this.

Conversely, the front ports have internal cables in the box that are probably just asking for trouble.
It's more likely to be useful with dongles rather than full size DACs like the D10s. Full size DACs have the space available for good power regulation, so they should be immune to the expected range of noise on USB power. Dongles have limited space so are more likely to have some degree of compromise.

Jim777

Forum Donor
It's more likely to be useful with dongles rather than full size DACs like the D10s. Full size DACs have the space available for good power regulation, so they should be immune to the expected range of noise on USB power. Dongles have limited space so are more likely to have some degree of compromise.
I'll just reiterate that I was having computer-noise issues with the front USB port (but I changed cables at the same time so not 100% that's it).

Tom09

Is it possible to use the USB input of the D10S to connect it to a phone and use the phone as media source (not as power source) to avoid a device that is Bluetooth capable?

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is it possible to use the USB input of the D10S to connect it to a phone and use the phone as media source (not as power source) to avoid a device that is Bluetooth capable?
I have a D10s that takes USB from my Mac, forwards PCM down optical to a E30 to decouple grounds between my audio system and my Mac. To test this for you I just plugged my iPhone into the D10s using the Apple USB Camera adapter and it works just fine. Even has enough juice to power the D10s off the iPhone, but I imagine battery will drain quickly. I'm sure you can do this on Android also if that's your phone.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It should work if you use a powered USB hub, although in practice this might depend on the phone. If it's a reasonably modern phone with a type C port and support for the Power Delivery standard you can use it with a Power Delivery capable hub to power both the DAC and the phone. Phones with micro-B sockets will need an OTG adapter or cable, and probably can't be charged by the hub. There are also 'Y-cable' adapters that may or may not work as they don't follow the standard.

Tom09

Good to know, thank you. But I made one mistake. I ignored the fact that the D10S does not have an additional power supply. It gets it's power only via USB port :D

spede

Just got this and wow, i can hear usb mouse movements trough headphones if amplifier is turned high enough.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Just got this and wow, i can hear usb mouse movements trough headphones if amplifier is turned high enough.
I've had that with 5 different DACs. I use the D10s to solve this problem since it does USB > optical, but unfortunately that means you need 2 DACs. I just got a miniDSP Flex, and it's the first and only DAC I've had that does not pick up the CPU noise off the computer when plugged directly in via USB.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I've had that with 5 different DACs. I use the D10s to solve this problem since it does USB > optical, but unfortunately that means you need 2 DACs. I just got a miniDSP Flex, and it's the first and only DAC I've had that does not pick up the CPU noise off the computer when plugged directly in via USB.
I haven't had this issue with my pc... My topping DX7 doesn't have the issue but neither does my SMSL xUSB.
What are your pc specs?

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
I haven't had this issue with my pc... My topping DX7 doesn't have the issue but neither does my SMSL xUSB.
What are your pc specs?
I don't know what voodoo magic combination of computer plus USB devices it takes to make CPU noise manifest itself thru the USB ground, but I have 2 different generations of MacBook Pro that both exhibit this behavior with the same USB chain (12" from 2015 for work and a 16" from 2019 that's mine). There is a 34" ultra wide monitor, ethernet, logitech cam, keyboard, wireless mouse, not to mention the laptop's built-in devices that are part of the usb bus. It could be anything. I forget if the Mac does it all on it's own, but it doesn't matter to me since I need everything else anyway. I also tried on of those dumb iFi iDefender+ USB filters and it didn't work either.

I've never been able to get rid of it, trying all sorts of things, other than using the D10s (or other media converter for usb to optical) until I got the miniDSP. I'm shocked it somehow doesn't get the ground noise that's plagued every other DAC in my system.

spede

Tried to eliminate USB noise but no luck. For some reason its much more apparent on SP200 amplifier ( more power?), with Loxjie p20 i only hear some hum at max volume but no mouse movement, with SP200 usb noises are just next to my max volume, annoyingly close to it.

- Tested all ports USB 2.0, 3.0. 3.1 USB C with adapter
- Plugging amp and pc to different power sockets
- PCI-E usb extension card
- Used my monitor as USB Hub
- different USB cable

None of them fixed problem, seems like time for new dac with no USB power.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My D10B gets only a very low level (like -110 dbFS) 8 khz and 16 khz bleed thru on one of my 2014 Macbook Pro USB ports. It gets nothing from the one on the right hand side. And never anything bleeding thru you can hear. I get nothing off of a Lenovo gaming laptop from about 2015 over any of its ports.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Not my forum, not my rules but I personally question the point of posting about anything not related to audio on this site.

But given that is allowed here, anything non audio related that is known to be devisive isn't, IMO, appropriate for posting.

Which rules out most of the #ologies, economics, finance, current affairs, climate etc etc
I don't follow... Did you mean to post in this thread?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't follow... Did you mean to post in this thread?

Ffs. What a shambles. Yes!

Top Bottom