• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s USB DAC and Bridge Review

usern

They are pretty close on your measurements, is there one you could recommend more ?
I would go for Atom DAC+ since I experienced USB / computer noise from D10s. Perhaps it's less likely to happen with external power supply with Atom DAC+ or if it does happen through USB input, you can use optical input which should eliminate this noise. D10s has optical output not input so you can't use that.

FTB

Thanks for the input, it's what I read in the past, risk of noise when USB-powered.
Strangely I don't see that noise in Amir's measurements except a bit more of THD after 2 KHz (oh well, 0.005%) when the Atom stays put at 0.002%
But I guess this is valid for the measurement material AudioPrecision and the noise risk exists with my consumer grade computer.

meleeli

Anyone know the difference between the pulse transformer in this picture and the Murata 78601/1JC that is in some pictures of the D10s internals? Seems there's some variance between units in this regard.

IMAG0089.jpg

charleski

Major Contributor
Anyone know the difference between the pulse transformer in this picture and the Murata 78601/1JC that is in some pictures of the D10s internals? Seems there's some variance between units in this regard.

IMAG0089.jpg
This will be a coupling transformer for the coax S/PDIF output. Both units have an identical Vus spec (20nsec), so they're functionally identical.

Tangband

Major Contributor
This will be a coupling transformer for the coax S/PDIF output. Both units have an identical Vus spec (20nsec), so they're functionally identical.
Yes , and that coupling transformer is a good thing, making the Topping D10s galvanic isolated from the dac . Many spdif sources with digital output dont have that transformer at all. Before that coupling transformer, my guess is that Xu208 takes care of USB packet noice at 8 KHz ( as all computers suffers from ) and delivers low jitter.

I think the xu208 also takes care of the volume control with dithering , but maybe JohnYang1997 can explain further?

Last edited:

jst

Will something like this degrade Sound Quality ? I want to output my D10s to both my Azur and my Aiyima A07 at the same time, so I don't need to switch. Does it have any difference if I use one amp at a time or if I use both amps at the same time, is something divided or degraded or not ?

Or is it better to use a switch like A/V selector / Audio selector, but that would mean more cabling and signal going thru this selector's circuitry.

6164E7e+AHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Will something like this degrade Sound Quality ? I want to output my D10s to both my Azur and my Aiyima A07 at the same time, so I don't need to switch. Does it have any difference if I use one amp at a time or if I use both amps at the same time, is something divided or degraded or not ?

Or is it better to use a switch like A/V selector / Audio selector, but that would mean more cabling and signal going thru this selector's circuitry.

6164E7e+AHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I use the same product. The purpose of use is to input the same source to different devices and perform A / B comparison tests.
I don't think this branch plug itself will affect the sound quality, but it may interfere with each other depending on the devices connected in parallel.

jst

I use the same product. The purpose of use is to input the same source to different devices and perform A / B comparison tests.
I don't think this branch plug itself will affect the sound quality, but it may interfere with each other depending on the devices connected in parallel.
Yea I just read someone blew a fuse connecting his system with sub using rca splitter. Come to think of it, turning on both system will kinda bridge each other's input. I wonder if D10s - RCAsplitter - AiyimaA07+WharfedaleSW300sub will work fine or end up in the same fate >_<

brotakul

Question: is the D10S capable of outputting signal both through the DAC (analog) and passthrough on the SPDIF connection at the same time? If not, what happens in such configuration? Does one output type has priority over another?

Toku

Major Contributor
Yea I just read someone blew a fuse connecting his system with sub using rca splitter. Come to think of it, turning on both system will kinda bridge each other's input. I wonder if D10s - RCAsplitter - AiyimaA07+WharfedaleSW300sub will work fine or end up in the same fate >_<
I think such cases are extremely rare, but be careful.
However, if the other party's device to be branched and connected is a general RCA unbalanced input, there is no need to worry.
I researched the Wharfedale SW300 Subwoofer, but I don't think there is a problem because the input impedance is 10kΩ with 2ch-RCA input. However, after branching the output of D10s into two systems, never connect the L-R of one line directly in parallel to make it 1ch.

Reactions: jst

Toku

Major Contributor
Question: is the D10S capable of outputting signal both through the DAC (analog) and passthrough on the SPDIF connection at the same time? If not, what happens in such configuration? Does one output type has priority over another?
All D10s outputs are output in parallel at the same time. There is no priority selection.
Therefore, analog output and S/PDIF (OPT/COAX) can be output at the same time. However, since the range that S/PDIF can handle is from PCM44.1kHz to PCM192kHz, no higher sampling rate and DSD will be output. (DSD64 can output DOP)

klase

Greetings all,

my setup is:
PC foobar >usb> DAC D10s >rca cable> Bada amply

when i start playing the dsd64 file, at the beginning after i click on the file there is a boom sound and then there is no sound at all even though the foobar player is still running normally and the number on the DAC shows 2.82DSD.

this problem does not occur when playing other files.

is there something wrong with my settings?

help pls

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-15 113317.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-15 113317.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot 2021-10-15 113345.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-15 113345.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Screenshot 2021-10-15 113410.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-15 113410.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 142

charleski

Major Contributor
Greetings all,

my setup is:

when i start playing the dsd64 file, at the beginning after i click on the file there is a boom sound and then there is no sound at all even though the foobar player is still running normally and the number on the DAC shows 2.82DSD.

help pls
DSD native mode only works for a direct USB connection. Try altering the Playback Method in the dsd_asio panel to use DoP.

Toku

Major Contributor
Greetings all,

my setup is:

help pls
Is DSD2.8 the only one that can't be played? Or is it the same symptom for all DSDs?

HDavidson

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-15 113410.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-15 113410.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 114
  • asio.jpg
    asio.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

SergeD

Something weird happened today. Everything works as before right now but still want to share.
When I came back to PC after an hour of absence and turned on the music there was no sound at all. Despite being flustered a bit I started troubleshooting step by step. Rebooted PC in case if Windows is going crazy after some update, still no sound. Connected L30 to another dac and fortunately an amp was working fine. I thought D10s has died on me for a moment, but display was working and showing correct samplerates. Checked all software settings a couple of times. Connected usb cable into another port and sound appeared again. Then connected cable into the usual port, which was being used before, and it works also.
Pointless post since everything is resolved for now but maybe someone could have a hint about what could this be, so I could prevent some problems. But this request is also dumb since there are no clairvoyants here most likely.
Thank you for your post sir! I actually sent one of these back to amazon and bought another due to the same issue. Just swapped USB ports and its working again. I love it so much I cant thank you enough for saving me from going to something else.

Top Bottom