• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s USB DAC and Bridge Review

artsky

For those using D10s with Tidal, is it normal that I can still control the volume using the Windows volume control even when Tidal is set to exclusive mode and D10s is highlighted in the volume control?

krumpol

@artsky:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/coreaudio/endpoint-volume-controls
Applications that manage exclusive-mode streams can control the volume levels of those streams through the IAudioEndpointVolume interface. [..] If an application displays a volume control that uses the IAudioEndpointVolume interface to control the volume level of an audio endpoint device, that volume control should mirror the endpoint volume control displayed by the system volume-control program, Sndvol.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
Will the upcoming topping D10 Balanced have switchable filters? Since we now have conclusive information on which ESS filters reduce out of band THD the most (see the thread: The New King), namely the fast linear, fast minimum, and hybrid phase filters, it would make sense either to choose one of those filters or to let users select the filter themselves.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will the upcoming topping D10 Balanced have switchable filters? Since we now have conclusive information on which ESS filters reduce out of band THD the most (see the thread: The New King), namely the fast linear, fast minimum, and hybrid phase filters, it would make sense either to choose one of those filters or to let users select the filter themselves.
The d10 is a budget dac, I can’t imagine that switchable filters will be of interest to its target market. I personally want the manufacturer to choose the best configuration so I can plug in and forget about it.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
The d10 is a budget dac, I can’t imagine that switchable filters will be of interest to its target market. I personally want the manufacturer to choose the best configuration so I can plug in and forget about it.

How much more expensive would it be to provide those filters.

I suspect $0.00 per unit.

Perhaps $0.01, I need to check.

But yes, I totally agree. The manufacturer, if it can only offer one, should choose the best.

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor

I'd be fine with a fixed configuration as long as the manufacturer chose the optimal filter, in this case Linear Phase Fast. But as it stands, l7's measurements seem to indicate that the D10 Balanced is using the default ESS apodising linear phase filter, which is not optimal (the THD+n ratio vs frequency measurement bears this out).

artsky

Is D10s "Dolby Atmos certified"? I can play Dolby Atmos music using Tidal thru the D10s and I am just using a stereo soundbar.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'd be fine with a fixed configuration as long as the manufacturer chose the optimal filter, in this case Linear Phase Fast. But as it stands, l7's measurements seem to indicate that the D10 Balanced is using the default ESS apodising linear phase filter, which is not optimal (the THD+n ratio vs frequency measurement bears this out).
There's more to it. Filters can also affect frequency response and CCIF IMD. People don't like slow filters while they have no real negative. Another correct filter has too early roll off of 18khz. I would choose flatter frequency response over thd+n any day of the week. I'm changing it but it will still ended up in a train wreck due to some people.

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
There's more to it. Filters can also affect frequency response and CCIF IMD. People don't like slow filters while they have no real negative. Another correct filter has too early roll off of 18khz. I would choose flatter frequency response over thd+n any day of the week. I'm changing it but it will still ended up in a train wreck due to some people.

I was somewhat surprised when wolf published the THD+n measurements for the filters and they showed that the more textbook ones had worse THD+n performance than the more FR linear Linear Phase Fast filter, which theoretically speaking has a less correct cutoff. But at least now all of this information is publicly available and clearly demonstrated. No matter what choice you make people will complain, so might as well make the one backed by data. Free performance gain.

Godfix

Oi pessoal

Gostaria de saber se este Topping D10s seria uma boa combinação com meu amplificador JDS ATOM. Fones de ouvido: Fidelio X1s e HD6xx

jeffbook

Oi pessoal

Gostaria de saber se este Topping D10s seria uma boa combinação com meu amplificador JDS ATOM. Fones de ouvido: Fidelio X1s e HD6xx

Eu uso o JDS Atom com meu D10s e meu HD6xx. Funciona muito bem.
(from Google Translate)

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
So my decision D10s/L30 or D10xx/A30pro is dependent on price for A30pro (to be known soon) and availability of the balanced D10...

I'm still waiting, and still in a similar position to you.

If the new 'balanced' D10 is (UK prices) £120 instead of the D10s's £100, that's great. But it's worthless unless you amp has balanced inputs.

Cheapest recommended headphone amp with balanced inputs is (UK) £200+. The A30pro is over £300.

The Schiit Magnius is £210, but not a great bet if you're using standard out, and only gets a 'recommended' from Amir with balanced outs.

Unless there's a product I'm missing, there appears to be a big gap in the market here, and the D10b's worth (excellent DAC for those on a tight budget) doesn't make a lot of sense when, to use it at all, you have to pay almost x2 the price of an L30.

Godfix

[QUOTE = "Yorkshire Mouth, post: 804780, member: 15123"] Ainda estou esperando e ainda estou em uma posição semelhante à sua.

Se o novo D10 'equilibrado' for (preços no Reino Unido) £ 120 em vez dos D10s £ 100, isso é ótimo. Mas não vale a pena, a menos que seu amplificador tenha entradas balanceadas.

O amplificador de fone de ouvido recomendado mais barato com entradas balanceadas é (Reino Unido) £ 200 +. O A30pro custa mais de £ 300.

O Schiit Magnius custa £ 210, mas não é uma grande aposta se você estiver usando uma saída padrão, e só recebe uma "recomendação" de Amir com outs equilibrados.

A menos que esteja faltando um produto, parece haver uma grande lacuna no mercado aqui, e o valor do D10b (excelente DAC para aqueles com um orçamento apertado) não faz muito sentido quando, para usá-lo em tudo , você tem que pagar quase x2 o preço de um L30. [/ QUOTE]
-

Acabei de adquirir o JDS Atom e estou inicialmente satisfeito com ele.
Testei diretamente na saída de fone de ouvido do notebook e usando um Meridian Explorer Dac v1.

Superando D10s deve chegar na próxima semana.

datrumole

one of the deciding factors for me between the E30 and D10s was the 'auto select input' feature on the E30

i'll have a chromecast and computer on it, and with the auto select, i can just start sending tunes to the chromecast, and since my amp is always on, it should just start playing

however, i was reading about the E30 CS chip issues/change and am now leaning toward the D10s, does it have auto select/auto sense input?

Top Bottom