• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10s USB DAC and Bridge Review

Toku

Major Contributor
one of the deciding factors for me between the E30 and D10s was the 'auto select input' feature on the E30

i'll have a chromecast and computer on it, and with the auto select, i can just start sending tunes to the chromecast, and since my amp is always on, it should just start playing

however, i was reading about the E30 CS chip issues/change and am now leaning toward the D10s, does it have auto select/auto sense input?
D10s input is USB only, output is RCA and S/PDIF (OPT & COAX) simultaneous output only
There is no automatic selection function.
The D10s is a product that integrates USB-DAC and USB-DDC (digital-to-digital converter) functions.

Last edited:

Jazz3006

D10s input is USB only, output is RCA and S/PDIF (OPT & COAX) simultaneous output only
There is no automatic selection function.
The D10s is a product that integrates USB-DAC and USB-DDC (digital-to-digital converter) functions.
So, does this mean I can drive both the RCA and the COAX outputs at the same time? I've been trying to find a USB DAC that will also allow me to integrate a sub via an additional COAX output.

Toku

Major Contributor
So, does this mean I can drive both the RCA and the COAX outputs at the same time? I've been trying to find a USB DAC that will also allow me to integrate a sub via an additional COAX output.
Yes, that's right.
It can output to COAX and OPT at the same time as RCA.
However, you can output to COAX and OPT only when the USB input is up to PCM 192kHz. Bit rates higher than this and DSD cannot be output.

Jazz3006

Yes, that's right.
It can output to COAX and OPT at the same time as RCA.
However, you can output to COAX and OPT only when the USB input is up to PCM 192kHz. Bit rates higher than this and DSD cannot be output.

"DSD cannot be output" meaning that it won't work at all, or meaning that it will only output at a lower rate on those channels? Would it maintain quality output in the RCAs, even if it drops bitrate some on the sub? I'm VERY new to all this, so trying to figure out what matters and what doesn't. I have an Aiyima A07 and JBL A130s. I love the combo, but the DAC from my monitor isn't great based on measurements. I'm just trying to understand if I can use the COAX to feed the sub and the RCAs for the speakers.

Toku

Major Contributor
"DSD cannot be output" meaning that it won't work at all, or meaning that it will only output at a lower rate on those channels? Would it maintain quality output in the RCAs, even if it drops bitrate some on the sub? I'm VERY new to all this, so trying to figure out what matters and what doesn't. I have an Aiyima A07 and JBL A130s. I love the combo, but the DAC from my monitor isn't great based on measurements. I'm just trying to understand if I can use the COAX to feed the sub and the RCAs for the speakers.
When playing DSD, neither OPT/COAX works at all. It is not output. Similarly, OPT/COAX does not work at all for playback exceeding PCM192 kHz.
D10s does not have a file conversion function.
From OPT/COAX, only PCM44.1kHz to PCM192kHz of the signals input from USB are output without conversion.

Jazz3006

When playing DSD, neither OPT/COAX works at all. It is not output. Similarly, OPT/COAX does not work at all for playback exceeding PCM192 kHz.
From OPT/COAX, only PCM44.1kHz to PCM192kHz of the signals input from USB are output without conversion.
So, am I correct in believing this basically just means I will lose the sub when listening to very high-bitrate music?

Sorry for the quick sidetrack, but would I be better off just using a passthrough sub amp than trying to make this convoluted plan work?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
D10s does support DSD output on coax and toslink.

Toku

Major Contributor
So, am I correct in believing this basically just means I will lose the sub when listening to very high-bitrate music?

Sorry for the quick sidetrack, but would I be better off just using a passthrough sub amp than trying to make this convoluted plan work?
Yes, the OPT/COAX output works only for PCM 44.1kHz to 192kHz playback. Other than that, it is blocked and is not output.
Please build your system after understanding this behavior of D10s.
I use the D10s OPT/COAX output as a test signal for the OPT/COAX input of other equipment.

The explanation was leaked.
However, DSD64 (DSD2.8MHz) DOP can be output from OPT/COAX.
I have never tried it in DOP mode.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
The D10S is c.£82 at AliExpress. The EX5 is c.£260.

If the new balanced can be had for £100, then any amp £150-£200 is ballpark. The SMSL SH-8S is currently £170.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Maybe they will time it with an amp launch. The D10B with balanced TRS is to be paired with another future product from what I gather...

Either that or supply problems?

I hope so. I’ve said before, a budget DAC with balanced outs makes just a little less sense when there’s no budget headphone amp with balanced inputs.

What might these be called? How much? The Topping D10B and A10B stack? £125 + £150?

Last edited:

virtua

The D10b was just officially announced on facebook.

Here's a picture of the post for people who don't have/use Facebook

D10 Balanced.png

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
The D10b was just officially announced on facebook.
I've been waiting for the release since it was introduced at L7 Audiolab.
It's a month behind the original schedule, but I have a feeling that it will be released later this month.
What I especially expect from the D10b is a real balanced output using a transformer.
It is different from the balance circuit that outputs inversion using an OP amplifier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom