• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just ordered one from Apos.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Y
You connected the adapters to the xlr M to F cables, right? Must have been quite extended at the back of D10b, right?
Yes, but being 6.3 mm jacks they can take the weight. It was all I could get on a Sunday. I have 6.3 TRS to XLR male cables on order.

kchap

Forum Donor
I just ordered one from Apos.
I ordered mine through Amazon. I was using a Khadas Tone Board which performs well but I could not resist the D10 Balanced. The Khadas does generate a loud burst of noise during "power on" and "power off" so I need to be careful not to switch on the amps until after I switch on the RPI. The D10 mutes its output during power on and power off; an unexpected bonus.

The Khadas and another RPI will drive a HP amp when I replace my very old Stax SR-5.

Toku

Major Contributor
I ordered mine through Amazon. I was using a Khadas Tone Board which performs well but I could not resist the D10 Balanced. The Khadas does generate a loud burst of noise during "power on" and "power off" so I need to be careful not to switch on the amps until after I switch on the RPI. The D10 mutes its output during power on and power off; an unexpected bonus.

The Khadas and another RPI will drive a HP amp when I replace my very old Stax SR-5.
My D10 Balanced is now on a plane from China to Japan.
Until now, I used the SMSL M500 as the test equipment for the Balance connection, but like your Khadas, the pop noise of power ON/OFF was terrible, so I ordered the D10 Balanced this time. I will test it as soon as it arrives, but I just hope there is no pop noise.

nhs

I'm wondering if a RPI 4 is able to deliver enough power to the D10 balanced DAC and if the audio signals from the RPI will suffer while the Topping draws high current from it?

tcb123

I'm wondering if a RPI 4 is able to deliver enough power to the D10 balanced DAC and if the audio signals from the RPI will suffer while the Topping draws high current from it?
I have a RPI 4 with a D10 balanced DAC and it works very well.

Reactions: nhs

kchap

Forum Donor
It's a good point, it should be OK. I am using a 15W PSU and the only USB device is the D10. The D10 only needs 2.5W; let's be conservative and say 3W. I did have a version where I intended to connect a M.2 SATA drive and a DVD/CD drive. I decided I did not need those devices. If in the future I want to connect additional USB peripherals I would do some measurements first and possibly use a Y cable to provide additional power.

Reactions: nhs

raif71

Major Contributor
I have the 10s, I feel like buying 10b for the purpose connecting to ifi zen can..... dunno if possible.....

I already have the pentaconn 4.4mm male to 2XLR female jack cable so I can then use the adapters provided with the d10b, connect them together and then connect the d10b to ifi zen can.

1627820578817.png

How it looks like when Ifi Zen Can and the Topping D10b are stacked together

Last edited:

jawbfl

@raif71 how does it sound compared to other DACs you have?

jawbfl

Just the same as any other DAC. :)
Just what I expected from an ASR member .. sometimes I just need to hear some flowery talk.
Any reliability issues though?

raif71

Major Contributor
Just what I expected from an ASR member .. sometimes I just need to hear some flowery talk.
Any reliability issues though?
Haha...sorry to disappoint. I did talk flowery once but after I went through the sighted but volume matched test...the DACs do really sound the same. Having said that from my personal experience I do value DAC that have more power ie more than 2V out ot RCA and more than 4V out of XLR. They do make the amps that get these extra voltage have more volume headroom. That's what I experienced.

You can check my thread here

If you mean the reliability of the D10b, so far ok... It's USB behavior is a bit different from D10s/D10. One of my usb hub (to add external power to the DAC) seems not to work with this DAC but connecting straight to DAP does work... I have to experiment more why this is so.

Last edited:

jawbfl

Haha...sorry to disappoint. I did talk flowery once but after I went through the sighted but volume matched test...the DACs do really sound the same. Having said that from my personal experience I do value DAC that have more power ie more than 2V out ot RCA and more than 4V out of XLR. They do make the amps that get these extra voltage have more volume headroom. That's what I experienced.

You can check my thread here

If you mean the reliability of the D10b, so far ok... It's USB behavior is a bit different from D10s/D10. One of my usb hub (to add external power to the DAC) seems not to work with this DAC but connecting straight to DAP does work... I have to experiment more why this is so.
Good to know, my brain still refuses to accept that all good measuring DACs are equal. Any issues with ESD or something of the sort?

Fawzay

HDavidson

Got mine. First impressions, compared to version 1 - more space and dynamics. Characteristics, concept?

SNR -115dB vs 125dB

Diaphonie -115dB vs -141dB

Output impedance 100Ω RCA vs 88Ω XLR

archerious

Hmm this or D30 Pro.........

HDavidson

If you need a DAC only with a USB input and symmetrical outputs, this one meets all the parameters. Everything else is money thrown out the window. I listen to him more, I like him more.
TRS jacks are practical if the cable XLR is thick and twisted, TRS jacks can be rotated to relieve tension.

Lupin

Hmm this or D30 Pro.........
Depends on your use case and wishes.
Get the D10d if you just need USB in and balanced XLR out with no further frills.
D30Pro might be worth it if you need SE and BAL input/output with extra digital inputs and excellent pre-amp function.

Don't get the D30Pro just because it would sound better or anything..

Last edited:
Top Bottom