• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

miofu

Reminds me of DAW audio quality wars. It's just math. Doesn't matter if it's done in your CPU or XMOS chip.
From article you mentioned: "(...) 32 Bit floating point calculations (...)"
so in this case DAC (as device) would need do conversion from audio integer to float in XMOS and then back to integer for DAC (chip), I thought DACs internally work with integers only.

Of course I wouldn't hear those difference anyway, it is just a talk, and we are

wgh52

Hello Folks

this DAC looks extremely attractive to be used in my application! The caveat ist the limitation to USB Input which makes it unusable, I need SPDIF or AES3 Input. If anyone would propose a modification or external solution I'd be extremely grateful!

Thanks and Regards,
Winfried

Veri

Master Contributor
Hello Folks

this DAC looks extremely attractive to be used in my application! The caveat ist the limitation to USB Input which makes it unusable, I need SPDIF or AES3 Input. If anyone would propose a modification or external solution I'd be extremely grateful!
Sorry, really not feasible. It is a budget balanced DAC that has no s/pdif receiver or logic for that. You can't mod it. If you need digital inputs, there are other balanced DACs out there. See for example https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...et-balanced-dac-to-pair-with-smsl-sh-9.19497/

shoto

Sorry, really not feasible. It is a budget balanced DAC that has no s/pdif receiver or logic for that. You can't mod it. If you need digital inputs, there are other balanced DACs out there. See for example https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...et-balanced-dac-to-pair-with-smsl-sh-9.19497/
ESS 9038 series chips have internal SPDIF receiver... do you always make statements with things you dont understand? it is spreading misinformation...

it is feasible with spdif converter for i2s input in D10s. I could not do it but it has not hard for some diyer

@wgh52 if you ask on diyaudio.com some can help you

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
ESS 9038 series chips have internal SPDIF receiver... do you always make statements with things you dont understand? it is spreading misinformation...
He said 'or logic'. So yeah he's not wrong.
ESS spdif receiver is a messy situation. I don't want to talk too deep about that.

shoto

Do you think can it work with spdif converter for replacing i2s signal from the USB receiver?

for above... he said receiver because he is not sure, it is bad idea to guess on these things I think.

Last edited:

Bel Canto

What an interesting thread this is? Topping release a budget balanced dac with USB only input. No external power, no other inputs and a great $139 price. Been reading 15 pages of people wanting to use it single ended, add spdif inputs, volume controls and the rest.
Very entertaining and frustrating at the same time!!

shoto

It is a budget balanced DAC that has no s/pdif receiver or logic for that , you can't mod it.
this is what you said

it is really not feasible or doable unless you mod the whole thing
now you say this after mistakes were corrected ...

this is good because he asked for mod, you can explain to us how.

you show again you can not admit a mistake as in other thread... it only creates confusion for others.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
this is what you said

you show again you can not admit a mistake as in other thread... it only creates confusion for others.
You can't mod it.

Veri

Master Contributor

Look, you can't take the D10B as-is and make it work. It may not be impossible for someone very knowledgeable but for any normal person you can't just tweak it to make it work. That was my point. John confirmed that. If you want to ask DIY experts advice this is not really the forum for it, try diyaudio.com ... and that is hardly the kind of path I would steer a normal consumer on. Just buy something that works. That's the last from me on this, not sure why you keep quoting me, if you think you can easily change D10B design you're wrong.

miofu

Some of you guys are really like b... fanboys. Topping products are just products, you don't have connect them with your emotions, and advocate some company against your business. Consumer business is to get more at lower price.
While most of discussion here may look funny, but it just means that typical topping buyer never seen balanced connection in TRS, you wont get most of that questions on pro audio forum. Balanced TRS is just typical in pro market.
The question of whether it is possible to connect D10B via SE adapter is meaningful question.
Another thing is how "company" responds to this: "You can't do this. Do do this, no"
I thought this forum is somewhere between audiophile nonsense and electronic forum, we look at those measurements believe that are reliable and want know more about technicals.

For example for me D10B would be perfect device with digital volume control on front panel, that what Im looking for.

raif71

Major Contributor
1627708429556.png

Neat balanced stack and sounds as good as any balanced stack :)

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It arrived. A bit of panic because I was expecting it in September; cables in a weeks time. Anyway managed to quickly get some XLR M to F cables. The device to right of the D10 with the bad flaring (I'm a terrible photographer) is a RPI 4 in a Argon 40 case. The Amps are March Audio P451s.
1627788338283.jpeg

raif71

Major Contributor
It arrived. A bit of panic because I was expecting it in September; cables in a weeks time. Anyway managed to quickly get some XLR M to F cables. The device to right of the D10 with the bad flaring (I'm a terrible photographer) is a RPI 4 in a Argon 40 case. The Amps are March Audio P451s.
View attachment 144792
You connected the adapters to the xlr M to F cables, right? Must have been quite extended at the back of D10b, right?

Top Bottom