• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are there any audible differences or improvements between this DAC and some dacs on the absolute top of the scoreboard?

I don't care much about functions or aesthetics, but I want to see if spending extra for a D70/D90 can be a good improvement on what aspects...

usern

Are there any audible differences or improvements between this DAC and some dacs on the absolute top of the scoreboard?

I don't care much about functions or aesthetics, but I want to see if spending extra for a D70/D90 can be a good improvement on what aspects...
You pay for functions and aestethics. More outputs costs more (XLR + RCA), more inputs costs more (SPIDF coax, optics). Bigger enclosure costs more. BT and its codecs, MQA, powersupply all add to the cost. But they all sound transparent, practically same. Don't buy D10B for amp with only RCA inputs though.

Veri

Master Contributor

It doesn't get much better than D10B. Unless you seriously need something of the bigger brothers, probably not worth the cost IMO. DACs are not complicated ;) stack aesthetics also matter to many people though.

Toku

Major Contributor
I thought D10s has such feature and it is builtin ESS DAC chip. Am I wrong?
You are misunderstanding about the D10 series products.
The D10 series is a product made for a specific application and does not have the same functions as other DACs.
Choose a DAC other than the D10 series for the application you envision. That's the shortcut to making you happy.

tmo

so cool to see this kind of value for a DAC. :eek:

can anyone recommend an amp to go with this?

HDavidson

dddddd.jpg

Last edited:

miofu

You are misunderstanding about the D10 series products.
The D10 series is a product made for a specific application and does not have the same functions as other DACs.
Choose a DAC other than the D10 series for the application you envision. That's the shortcut to making you happy.

I'm misunderstanding D10 series? So why other D10 series models have such a function?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...how-to-make-topping-d10-act-as-a-preamp.3687/

Here on linux, access from amixer:
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=1970

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I've read whole topic on http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=1970&page=2
So those guys are thinking that are using hardware, but thay not? :D
Alsa with hwplug option does not provide any software volume.
There are three scenarios:
1, The player has functionality to change volume via digital processing on computer.

2, The OS/driver talks to XMOS to change volume in XMOS chip which is USB bridge.

3, The DAC itself has volume control which changes registers in the DAC chip.

First two are possible with D10/D10s/D10 balanced.

The result at the DAC analogue output can be identical if either process itself is done cleanly.

In fact, when doing measurements all attenuation is done in the AP software via ASIO. There's no measurable degradation comparing to change volume on DAC itself. At least for all PCM sources.

jawbfl

They look really good! For a moment I thought they were the ones shipped with the D10B and was mistakenly impressed :p
Me too at first, but that cable looks as flexible as a Mogami so it won't be cheap.

deprogrammed

I miss the coax in. So will many others.
One reason I bought the D10 is the coax out. Used it to connect my PC to a receiver.

jawbfl

lol! i knew something was up.

my question still stands though. :)

Good concept but I doubt Topping would make it, D10, D10s never had a companion amp.

hyperknot

There are three scenarios:
1, The player has functionality to change volume via digital processing on computer.
2, The OS/driver talks to XMOS to change volume in XMOS chip which is USB bridge.

How does the XMOS chip change volume? Just adjusting the digital signal before the DAC?
Would an audio player have higher quality volume control compared to the XMOS chip?

Top Bottom