• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

wacomme

OK. Should I wait to see what the A90D has to offer or just buy the A90 and DO100 now?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Any headphone amp similar to the a90 with a bit more power and gain for harder to drive headphones?
Outside of electrostatics and the Raal ribbon, cannot think of any reason why one would need more power than what the A90 can supply.
Why do you actually NEED that ??

wacomme

I probably don't NEED it. I just want something that will be somewhat future proof. I have electrical inferences issues off and on. Thus, I want balanced inputs for my desktop powered speakers. In reality, the DX3Pro+ will suffice since with some wire adjusting and using just one surge protector for all of my desk electronics, the interference noise is now gone (for now). And for a small desk (47" x 27") a combined AMP/DAC is probably better than two units. BUT, I would like more power, prefer balanced, and just want a separate AMP and DAC.

I believe the DX3Pro+ would drive my Sundara and 560S headphones just fine. And if or when I buy hard to drive headphones, or NEED balanced inputs, I suppose I could buy something new at that time. So why spend $600+ for the DO100 + A90 when the $200 DX3Pro+ fits my current needs? I suppose I should save myself $400; I guess there isn't a NEED for something more.

wacomme

Would the L30/E30 be any better than the DX3Pro+? Is it worth the extra $100?

reasons

Outside of electrostatics and the Raal ribbon, cannot think of any reason why one would need more power than what the A90 can supply.
Hifiman Susvara and Abyss DTC. A little more power for some overhead and future proofing.

wacomme

Has it been confirmed that the A90 has grounding issues? And what is the Raal ribbon issue? I can’t find anything about it.

wacomme

Hifiman Susvara and Abyss DTC. A little more power for some overhead and future proofing.
I’m circling back to the A90, A90D, or the A30Pro.

If my DAC has a preamp, is there any advantage of the A90/A90D over the A30Pro?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
According to the ASR measurements of the Abyss here, it needs 1.03V with a 49 Ohm rating to reach 94db sound levels. The HE-6 needs an even higher 1.25V with a 50 Ohm rating.

But according to Amir, you don't need anything more than the A90 to drive them to beyond satisfactory listening levels.

And to add, according to online nomenclature, the HE-6 runs a abysmal 77 db/mV sensitivity, 50 Ohm impedance. BUT at 94dB SPL, it only needs 51mW of power !

Push that power draw 10 times and you are still barely past 0.5W !

Why would you need anything more than 3W / Channel at 32 Ohm for that kind of power draw ? Which even on the conservative side of things, scale down to over 1.5W / channel at 50 Ohm load.

As for the Raal, its the SR1a :

Last edited:

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No effort is too great to cover that ugly, black, unused XLR socket...
20220602_152929.jpg

Bow_Wazoo

So either my new A90 is defective,
or I pushed it to its power limits with my HE6SE v2.

From about 9 o'clock position, high gain, and EQ with 8db bassshelf,
I have regular dropouts in the sound...
If I turn down significantly, there are no problems...

cheapmessiah

So either my new A90 is defective,
or I pushed it to its power limits with my HE6SE v2.

Try the bass shelf from 0 dB with increments of 0.5 dB to see how high you can go before it hits the current limiter

Bow_Wazoo

It's actually the amplifier that shuts down.
I heard a relay switching.
Hard to believe, but apparently the A90 has too little power for what I'm doing. Now I am at a loss.

Last edited:

cheapmessiah

It's actually the amplifier that shuts down.
I heard a relay switching.
Hard to believe, but apparently the A90 has too little power for what I'm doing. Now I am at a loss.

That is both great and bad at the same time.

You might need a Burson Audio engineering solution:

images

solderdude

Grand Contributor

I figure it is the DC protection kicking in not clipping or over current protection.
Add a steep 10Hz high-pass filter as well and you will probably be rid of the cut-outs.
A bass shelf will also increase frequencies below 16Hz which should not be there in music anyway.

Bow_Wazoo

Neutron Player even has a subsonic filter for it.

So : 10hz, Q 0.71 ?!

Screenshot_20220606-130853_Neutron Player.jpg

Bow_Wazoo

With this setting the problem is unfortunately not yet solved...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With this setting the problem is unfortunately not yet solved...
Just checking, what dac at what output setting/level into which inputs on the A90?.

Top Bottom