• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

TK750

Why not move the connectors to the left and use a similar display as on the D90LE with all the needed info ?
Perhaps to maintain consistency with the current A90? I like the dot matrix display etc but can totally understand why someone would prefer it the way you suggested

wacomme

I presume the price of the discrete will be less than the A90. I'm seeking a powerful balanced amp with a preamp that has remote volume control - something between an a30pro and the a90 with preamp and remote. This may be it! I hope the price is somewhat reasonable. I'll likely pair it with the 10Db and use it connected to my MacBook for headphones and desktop powered speakers.

Hoping it comes to market soon!

cheapmessiah

Considering the difference in price from the EX5 to the DX5 i wouldnt be surprised if the A90D was between $700 and $1000

wacomme

Considering the difference in price from the EX5 to the DX5 i wouldnt be surprised if the A90D was between $700 and $1000
If more expensive than the A90, then I've got to decide if I can live without volume control from the remote.

Does anyone know when the price of the A90 Discrete will be known?

mrbungle

Does the new EXT input of the A90D mean support for the Ext90? If yes, how does the switching between the 3 XLR inputs work? Remote only?

bahamot

I contacted the manufacturer through the seller a while ago.
A90, A90D... Selling price of the two devices is the same!!!

Perhaps the A90 will be discontinued...
wow more functionalities with the same price. Tempting ...

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I contacted the manufacturer through the seller a while ago.
A90, A90D... Selling price of the two devices is the same!!!

Perhaps the A90 will be discontinued...

Couple German retailers had a sale recently for the A90.. went for 399€ Instead of 499€

If the A90D is selling for 499€ , that would be really nice.

Hope quality control got better.. read my fare share of posts about issues with the A90 and D90SE

Had no idea there is a D90LE without MQA.

So D90LE + A90D would be around 1300€ if the A90D replaces the A90.

wacomme

I'm a noob. What's advantages, or disadvantages, are there of digital volume control over analog other than the ability to use a remote? I ask because I'm considering buying an A90 (or A90 Discrete) + D10b. I'm planning to connect my MacBook Air (M1) to HP and powered speakers. I would like to be able to control the volume of either HP or speakers via the amp volume dial (+ remote for the A90 Discrete). I would also like the volume setting for both HP and speakers to be remembered and set to the last respective setting when I toggle switch between HP and speakers. Is this possible with both the A90 and the A90 Discrete? Is it also possible to control either (or both) HP and speaker volume via the computer keyboard with computer - dac - amp - HP or speakers (via amp inputs, be they balanced or unbalanced)?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a noob. What's advantages, or disadvantages, are there of digital volume control over analog other than the ability to use a remote?

The main advantage is that digital volume controls (or some kind of ladder relay like I'd bet the A90D will have) generally have perfect channel matching. Potentiometers that don't cost a fortune have much looser tolerances and the balance can wander back and forth between left to right as you adjust the volume, especially in the lower third or so of the range. It's usually most problematic with sensitive headphones, though sometimes you can even have active monitors which are too sensitive.

The vanilla A90 already has 3 gain settings so it shouldn't be an issue unless you draw a particularly bad potentiometer. If I'm guessing the specs on the A90D correctly, it will guarantee that it's never a problem.

The vanilla A90 is all analog so it won't be able to remember a setting. It's possible that the A90D could do it, but we'll have to wait till they release more details to see.

The RME ADI-2 DAC will remember different volume settings for its headphone and line outs so that's option if the A90D turns out not to.

redstang

I'm a noob. What's advantages, or disadvantages, are there of digital volume control over analog other than the ability to use a remote? I ask because I'm considering buying an A90 (or A90 Discrete) + D10b. I'm planning to connect my MacBook Air (M1) to HP and powered speakers. I would like to be able to control the volume of either HP or speakers via the amp volume dial (+ remote for the A90 Discrete). I would also like the volume setting for both HP and speakers to be remembered and set to the last respective setting when I toggle switch between HP and speakers. Is this possible with both the A90 and the A90 Discrete? Is it also possible to control either (or both) HP and speaker volume via the computer keyboard with computer - dac - amp - HP or speakers (via amp inputs, be they balanced or unbalanced)?
Someone else may give you a more technical answer, but to me one advantage an analog volume control gives you is full volume range with less than a full turn of the knob. Some digital ones may do that too, but the thing I hate about by DX7pro is that I have to turn the digital volume knob SEVERAL times to change the volume significantly (so I normally use the remote for that). I also like the nice smooth feel to an analog volume knob (I hate clicky volumes, even if it does give you greater detailed control. One minor con to analog is that sometimes you may have a channel imbalance at near zero volume (which my Darkvoice has).

Note that since your DAC doesn't have a variable output and remote, then if you want the remote you'll have to get the discrete, or a different DAC like the E30/E50 etc. If you use a DAC as the volume control, then you just leave your AMP's volume set at the preferred gain and that's it. You can also use your computer if you set your AMP and your powered speakers the loudest level you want to go and then use your computer to adjust down from there.

Last edited:

wacomme

Note that since your DAC doesn't have a variable output and remote, then if you want the remote you'll have to get the discrete, or a different DAC like the E30/E50 etc. If you use a DAC as the volume control, then you just leave your AMP's volume set at the preferred gain and that's it. You can also use your computer if you set your AMP and your powered speakers the loudest level you want to go and then use your computer to adjust down from there.
What if I want to control both HP and speakers (via balanced inputs) with a volume knob (A90 or A90 Discrete)? Can I switch back and forth between HP and speakers and have the amp remember my last volume setting for the output device (be that HP or speakers)?

I presume I can do that with the A90 Discrete because the volume control is digital, but not with the A90. So what happens with the A90 volume when I switch back and forth between HP and speakers? I'm also considering the A30Pro + D10b. With the A30Pro pass through to the speakers, I won't be able to control the volume of the speakers with the A30Pro, but I can with my keyboard. Likewise, what happens to the volume when I switch back and forth between HP and speakers when using the A30Pro? I hear when switching from HP to speakers one needs to be careful to turn down the speaker volume since it's at 100%. Is this true?

redstang

What if I want to control both HP and speakers (via balanced inputs) with a volume knob (A90 or A90 Discrete)? Can I switch back and forth between HP and speakers and have the amp remember my last volume setting for the output device (be that HP or speakers)?

I presume I can do that with the A90 Discrete because the volume control is digital, but not with the A90. So what happens with the A90 volume when I switch back and forth between HP and speakers? I'm also considering the A30Pro + D10b. With the A30Pro pass through to the speakers, I won't be able to control the volume of the speakers with the A30Pro, but I can with my keyboard. Likewise, what happens to the volume when I switch back and forth between HP and speakers when using the A30Pro? I hear when switching from HP to speakers one needs to be careful to turn down the speaker volume since it's at 100%. Is this true

Not sure if the A90D will remember the volume level per output; would be a nice feature. I don't have the A90, but yes, I would be surprised if it could somehow retain the volume level per output.

From what I can tell the A30pro will act like a pre-amp and effect the volume on the outputs - unless it is turned off. When off it will still pass thru the line level signal. Better if someone who has it confirms that though.

Maybe what you really want is the DX5. That has everything. Balanced outputs you can connect to your speakers and set to either be pre-amped or line level so you can decide if you want to control it with the volume knob or your computer's volume. It would be less money and you wouldn't have to mess with a separate DAC and cables. Plus you get the remote.

wacomme

Not sure if the A90D will remember the volume level per output; would be a nice feature. I don't have the A90, but yes, I would be surprised if it could somehow retain the volume level per output.

From what I can tell the A30pro will act like a pre-amp and effect the volume on the outputs - unless it is turned off. When off it will still pass thru the line level signal. Better if someone who has it confirms that though.

Maybe what you really want is the DX5. That has everything. Balanced outputs you can connect to your speakers and set to either be pre-amped or line level so you can decide if you want to control it with the volume knob or your computer's volume. It would be less money and you wouldn't have to mess with a separate DAC and cables. Plus you get the remote.
I currently have the DX5 and don't like it. The performance is fine, though lacking a bit in power, but my primary gripe is that the volume knob feels cheap. Inherently, there's nothing wrong with the DX5, but I don't like it. I also want a separate dac and amp. I'm now thinking about the SMSL DO100 with either the A30Pro (about the same size to stack well together) or the A90/A90D. With the DO100 I should have knob volume control for both HP and powered speakers with either the A30Pro or A90/A90D. Though no balanced headphones (but balanced inputs), I'm gravitating towards the DO100 + A30Pro combo due to less cost. Is the A90/A90D worth the extra cost over the A30Pro?

redstang

I currently have the DX5 and don't like it. The performance is fine, though lacking a bit in power, but my primary gripe is that the volume knob feels cheap. Inherently, there's nothing wrong with the DX5, but I don't like it. I also want a separate dac and amp. I'm now thinking about the SMSL DO100 with either the A30Pro (about the same size to stack well together) or the A90/A90D. With the DO100 I should have knob volume control for both HP and powered speakers with either the A30Pro or A90/A90D. Though no balanced headphones (but balanced inputs), I'm gravitating towards the DO100 + A30Pro combo due to less cost. Is the A90/A90D worth the extra cost over the A30Pro?

Interesting. I don't like the clicky digital volume of my DX7pro, but the knob doesn't feel cheap. I would guess the A90D will probably feel similar. From reviews I've watched, seems like A30pro isn't really worth its price so I'd probably just go ahead and get the A90.

wacomme

From reviews I've watched, seems like A30pro isn't really worth its price so I'd probably just go ahead and get the A90.
How so? I've mostly seen rave reviews for the A30Pro, except for the heat and possible coil whine (some seem to have it, some don't).

redstang

How so? I've mostly seen rave reviews for the A30Pro, except for the heat and possible coil whine (some seem to have it, some don't).
Just that it's still just single ended and doesn't sound much if at all better than cheaper options. Yes, Topping gets mostly positive reviews, but for me, if I was upgrading from my DX7 I'd want to try something fully balanced and get the A90. I'd probably get an open box refurb from Apos for ~$400. As you already have the DX5, I imagine you won't notice much if any difference in the A30pro. Maybe a jump in power if you feel the DX5 is lacking.

reasons

Any headphone amp similar to the a90 with a bit more power and gain for harder to drive headphones?

Top Bottom