• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

Berdugo

Hi. What's your country or the plug of the cord? We just checked all the current A90 units. All have tight fit. So you should be alright if you get a new unit.

Ok so I really feel dumb right now. Actually, my cord was NOT inserted enough, yet I thought so in the beginning. I can't believe I made that mistake, maybe I was afraid to force too much. Sorry for wasting your time. Now everything is alright, I can enjoy music without freaking out. Thanks for your help.
Regarding ground loop issues, I tried an adapter which allows to not connect the earth and now all background noise is gone. Now, is it really unsafe even if my DAC is grounded and I use RCA ? I also use an iFi Groundhog that I plugged from one of the RCA output of the A90 to one of my power sockets.

Veri

Master Contributor
For A90
1. A90: HPA > XLR > H ?
2. i use hd800s with 4.4 balance jack plug, what different between jackplug 4,4 vs xlr plug ?View attachment 79106
3. Volume Knob, how much volume should i use on A90?
View attachment 79107

For D90
1. how to setting d90? just turn on and forget it ?
2. how to use bluetooth on d90?
3. for play mqa music , this is automatically or should have a specific setting?
Have you trying reading the product manuals? I mean all your questions are about the basic functionality....? How much volume you should use, whatever you want? Isn't that the point of a volume control on an amplifier?
4.4mm and XLR is both balanced connection, doesn't matter which you use end result is the same.

GeorgeWalk

hi, finally my topping a90+d90 mqa arrived, i have a little question,
which one the best setting for using on headphone?

For A90
1. A90: HPA > XLR > H ?
2. i use hd800s with 4.4 balance jack plug, what different between jackplug 4,4 vs xlr plug ?View attachment 79106
3. Volume Knob, how much volume should i use on A90?
View attachment 79107

For D90
1. how to setting d90? just turn on and forget it ? I set mine to "DAC" mode. Turn it on an forget it.
2. how to use bluetooth on d90? Use the remote to select "BT" and then pair it with your device.
3. for play mqa music , this is automatically or should have a specific setting? I don't have MQA, I can't help.

gwarlek

Does anyone know if xlr and rca on the back are outputting the signal simultaneously? Currently I have active monitors connected via xlr and rca go to a sub-woofer from my DAC, but I am looking for changes while still keeping this combo working.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Makers producing locking XLR's when in reality we need locking power plugs. RME did this right with a slight turn of a barrel power connector, you basically secure the thing for good.

These square-ish style connectors are only good if you can get the power cable completely seated deep to where the wall of the device is touching the thickened part where you hold onto the cord. These that don't go in all the way make no sense to me.
+1 vote for power cords that "click" and lock into devices as the standard. Could one just buy an after-market plug like this tho?
Locking Power Cable

ripvw

Forum Donor

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice! I like this pic in particular:
1598127555043.png

3125b

Major Contributor
I like Benchmarks honesty:

"NOTE TO HI-FI CUSTOMERS
If you are a hi-fi customer, beware of the pseudo-scientific false claims of overpriced and under-performing hi-fi cables. Avoid these "hi-fi" cables and equip your system with the finest professional cables available. We offer our professional cables in lengths and types that are appropriate for home hi-fi systems. You will save money while getting the very best performance available."

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, somebody use a90 for planar? I have lcd2c and curious how deep and wide soundstage?
Thx.
Works fine powering all of my planars, don't know about no width and depth though. My headphones sound about the same as with any other clean powered amp, just louder because this thing is a beast of an amp, if I turn up the volume to silly levels.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
sorry for the trivial question, using two headphones at the same time can create problems with the A90?

I doubt it. But dont forget the ones connected to the XLR will have twice the voltage going to them as the ones via single ended plug. So put the higher impedance cans on the XLR output and even then you will probably have mismatched volumes.

I doubt it. But dont forget the ones connected to the XLR will have twice the voltage going to them as the ones via single ended plug. So put the higher impedance cans on the XLR output and even then you will probably have mismatched volumes.

I'm interested in being able to keep two headphones connected, to try them out, without burning the amplifier

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm interested in being able to keep two headphones connected, to try them out, without burning the amplifier
I wouldn't worry. Maybe @JohnYang1997 can just clarify that running 2 sets of phones off the A90 should not be an issue for the amp. I don't believe so. Nothing exotic for the phones is there? 2 sets of HE6 or anything else a bit challenging?

I wouldn't worry. Maybe @JohnYang1997 can just clarify that running 2 sets of phones off the A90 should not be an issue for the amp. I don't believe so. Nothing exotic for the phones is there? 2 sets of HE6 or anything else a bit challenging?

My headphones are: Sennheiser HD 600 (balanced cable), Beyerdynamic DT 1990, AKG 371, Hifiman 400i and Beyerdynamic DT 880 pro BE, max 300 ohm...

YSC

Major Contributor
Kind of resurrecting old thread, but any idea why not to incoporate a chip relay based volume control just like the Benchmark or Burson amps do? it would make channel balance and noise performace even better with minimal cost increase to the unit no? It sounds to me that will be even more cost effective than hand matching pot channels for this sake?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Kind of resurrecting old thread, but any idea why not to incoporate a chip relay based volume control just like the Benchmark or Burson amps do? it would make channel balance and noise performace even better with minimal cost increase to the unit no? It sounds to me that will be even more cost effective than hand matching pot channels for this sake?
Space and cost and no.

Top Bottom