• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING A70 Pro

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, this seems like an end-game product for sure

Not too long ago the D90/A90 was considered "end game".
Now these products are "end game" and most likely next year their newly released products will be "end game".

But what really is "end game" when it comes to DACs and HP AMPS?
You can't get more transparent than transparent which a DAC most likely less than half the price already delivers.

As for the power... how many people actually need more than 5W, let alone 10W+
Of course, I get it that big numbers sell, and it is (sadly) fact that many people mainly decide based just on the amount of watts in can output.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Now these products are "end game" and most likely next year their newly released products will be "end game".

You can't get more transparent than transparent which a DAC most likely less than half the price already delivers.

Of course, I get it that big numbers sell, and it is (sadly) fact that many people mainly decide based just on the amount of watts in can output.
I don't think most need. But they'd rather buy the stronger one in case they one day purchase difficult headphones they will have it covered.
This also appears to be superbly clean for IEMs which of course not all of them are.

My own thinking is also about it as a pre amp for 2x LA90(D). How would that work?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Somebody at Topping should learn french.

1683618496946.png

audiofun

quite curious how they do the fft/uv/volume meter here. do they have an ADC inside to convert it to digital and then do the FFT?

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor

I know, this is another Topping, no EQ inside, it will autopurify itself by fire, it is Chinese...

But:

1 - This time there is a screen with a vumeter: "endgame"!
2 - I need 1 Watts for my high sensitivity speakers, 10W is a +10dB, yes!
3 - compatible with the Ext90 : ultimate preamp !!!
4 - @amirm will publish the test tomorrow and it is marvelous.

Trell

Major Contributor

I wonder what safety features the A70 Pro has to protect both the listeners ears and the headphones themselves, as this is one very powerful headphone amp.

threni

Major Contributor
I notice Amir's started putting "audible threshold" indicators on some of the measurements. Perhaps it would be possible to revisit the reviews and have an "end game" indicator where every measurement exceeds audible threshold of perfection to make it clear your choice between models is down to features and/or more or less subjective choices - it "looks premium" etc.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I wonder what safety features the A70 Pro has to protect both the listeners ears and the headphones themselves, as this is one very powerful headphone amp.
Same question could be asked when all the THX based amps started rolling out and selling in big numbers

Sure this Topping is more powerful but those early THX amps like classic Massrop THX 789 amp already do enough pack enough power to do damage if safety fucntions failed. And i don't recall reading about safety functions failing, certainly not in any important numbers over the years

I hope Topping have also learnt from their past amp issues also

So would expect lots of good protection

Still some common sense good practise is always good:

1. Turn on amp last (after DAC, sources)
2. Before you power off amp, turn down volume knob to low position
3. Turn off amp first (before DAC, source)
4. Don't plug/unplug headphones while amp is on
5. Turn amp on and off with headphones off your head to be extra safe

Very low risk if you follow these rules

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Same question could be asked when all the THX based amps started rolling out and selling in big numbers

Sure this Topping is more powerful but those early THX amps like classic Massrop THX 789 amp already do enough pack enough power to do damage if safety fucntions failed. And i don't recall reading about safety functions failing, certainly not in any important numbers over the years

I hope Topping have also learnt from their past amp issues also

So would expect lots of good protection

Still some common sense good practise is always good:

1. Turn on amp last (after DAC, sources)
2. Before you power off amp, turn down volume knob to low position
3. Turn off amp first (before DAC, source)
4. Don't plug/unplug headphones while amp is on
5. Turn amp on and off with headphones off your head to be extra safe

Very low risk if you follow these rules

Personally I think that RME does a nice job here with their DAC/Pro/2-4. They have a slow rampup of volume when powering on or switching output so that you can turn volume down.

I’ve found that feature useful on occasion.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Personally I think that RME does a nice job here with their DAC/Pro/2-4. They have a slow rampup of volume when powering on or switching output so that you can turn volume down.

I’ve found that feature useful on occasion.
Yeh that is nice but id still follow all the above rules

The RME is still using digital vol control

A coding glitch is possible, although unlikely

Top Bottom