• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A70 Pro HP & Preamp Review

Rate this preamplifier and headphone amp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 11.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 277 82.7%

• Total voters

pioterd

I'm curious what kind of headphones people got, that have experienced the hd dc abnormal error.
Hi. I’m following a little that topic and this case with error of A70pro. Seems like it is connected with overheating due to providing relatively high current (mAmpers) to headphones. So if you want to “test it”, take some 50ohm or less planars, with relatively low efficiency (preferably less than 101dB/V or 95dB/mW), turn on high gain and go high with volume (but not to maximum, do not risk to damage headphones with too much voltage!). Among cheap headphones, fostex T50rpIII could be good for such tests or more demanding and expensive headphones like HE6se, HE560. I saw people reporting errors even with DT990pro (low efficiency but high impedance). HD660S2 are easy to drive. Edition XS require some current (very low impedance) but are very efficient so I’m not sure if are good for tests. But, this amplifier A70pro is overkill for most headphones on the market so… it should work flawlessly. I do not even understand why errors are “allowed” by the company - in FAQ there are potential errors and how to deal with it. Why shall I waste my time on products which are put on the market with already known errors?

Last edited:

Pulsarre

Hi. I’m following a little that topic and this case with error of A70pro. Seems like it is connected with overheating due to providing relatively high current (mAmpers) to headphones. So if you want to “test it”, take some 50ohm or less planars, with relatively low efficiency (preferably less than 101dB/V or 95dB/mW), turn on high gain and go high with volume (but not to maximum, do not risk to damage headphones with too much voltage!). Among cheap headphones, fostex T50rpIII could be good for such tests or more demanding and expensive headphones like HE6se, HE560. I saw people reporting errors even with DT990pro (low efficiency but high impedance). HD660S2 are easy to drive. Edition XS require some current (very low impedance) but are very efficient so I’m not sure if are good for tests. But, this amplifier A70pro is overkill for most headphones on the market so… it should work flawlessly. I do not even understand why errors are “allowed” by the company - in FAQ there are potential errors and how to deal with it. Why shall I waste my time on products which are put on the market with already known errors?
I think I'm the only one reporting that error with a DT990, and all of my listenings with the Edition XS was flawless... That doesnt mean it could have happened later on tho.
If it is overheating, then there should be a very big flaw in the internal disposition of heatsinks since my unit was, well, pretty cool.
Coming from a L30 that felt insanely hot, I was even surprised by the little amount of heat I've felt with the A70 pro...

And I have to fully agree on the "it should work flawlessy", and this no matter the headphones used.
The FAQ registered that HD DC Abnormal error, but the fixes suggested were, well, useless in my case. But I have to agree with them on the fact that a FAQ is a nice touch, if the product has a registered failure that might be solved by the end user, then the fixes should be provided.

Sjofelumsk

Well I think it's weird to put "workarounds" in a flagship amp FAQ for potential problems concerning overheating and errors. Shouldn't be like that. That said, I can't understand why Topping won't address their customers. Is it safe to buy the A70 Pro these days? Will it fail or will it work fine? What causes it to break down? What are what doing to mend the problems? They need to get on it, now. There's no official word, none

It's really bad tbh.

I'm still considering the A70/D70 Pro. If I'm not comfortable within a couple of weeks, I'll rather go for the A90D/D90SE

Someone mentioned the amp might even break headphones? I love my LCD-X and Arya Organic way too much to plug them into a potential doomsday machine

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm using Expanse (previously Stealth) on low gain. Sometimes with classical recording I put the volume really high and never experienced any problems.

Sjofelumsk

I'm using Expanse (previously Stealth) on low gain. Sometimes with classical recording I put the volume really high and never experienced any problems.
It's a high gain problem as far as I'm aware so running low gain shouldn't cause any issues

I wouldn't need to use high gain on my headphones so I'd probably be fine. That said I'm not investing money into something that "might" break down. I want a fully working product. Just knowing it might be flawed is a huge turn off, I'd literally lose sleep over it

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's a high gain problem as far as I'm aware so running low gain shouldn't cause any issues

I wouldn't need to use high gain on my headphones so I'd probably be fine. That said I'm not investing money into something that "might" break down. I want a fully working product. Just knowing it might be flawed is a huge turn off, I'd literally lose sleep over it
It's probably not gain per se that is causing the problems.
Just some bad soldering or/and bad parts that with high power requirements are failing.

Sjofelumsk

It's probably not gain per se that is causing the problems.
Just some bad soldering or/and bad parts that with high power requirements are failing.
Yup. And high gain will potentially trigger it to fail. Looks like noone really knows the cause of these issues though.

My local Topping dealer told me they'd have the A70 Pro restocked mid September, and they were currently out of stock due to "component shortage" - don't know if I'll give it a shot or not. Worst case scenario I'll just exchange it or get a refund from my dealer. A90D is still a viable alternative, but I think the A70 Pro would pair really well with my LCD-X

shrimp_dude

Hi shrimp_dude,

I know you don't mean this in a derogatory manner but let's avoid the term Chi-fi as it can have negative connotations for such companies. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. ;)
No problem, did not know that was a rule here. I used it in the sense that we have been (for many years now) getting interesting/good gear out of China with some obvious cost cutting and issues that crop up, along with the difficulty in after sales support... nothing derogatory. Anyways duly noted.

jmillar

Both sound great, but SP400 more dark and dense, more low frequencies and A70Pro very light and very bright, slightly less bass.
If both are transparent they should sound similar. My A90 and RME sound alike.

Vantavimeow

Are these failures linked to using alternative dacs instead of the d70 pro?

Pulsarre

I think the korean community has reported issues with low gain, not high as I experienced, I could be wrong tho
Are these failures linked to using alternative dacs instead of the d70 pro?
There has been photos of D70 pro + A70 pro stacks, with the amp stating that error, so I highly doubt the problems come from there. It doesnt makes much sense anyway.

That's the trouble with not buying the best stuff in the first place. You often have to resell much lower to get rid of the inferior device so just tack on the difference to what you paid for the better device making it an even worse deal. Believe me, I've done that many times. Dummy me. It ends up being a horrible rental agreement is all.....
My Grandfather used to say that the most expensive way to go is to buy cheap because inevitably the cheap product will
fail and you will then have to purchase the more expensive quality product. I have found this to be the case on more than one occasion. Good advice is timeless..

marcom22

My Grandfather used to say that the most expensive way to go is to buy cheap because inevitably the cheap product will
fail and you will then have to purchase the more expensive quality product. I have found this to be the case on more than one occasion. Good advice is timeless..
But the preamp of your grandfather doesnt have the performance of A70.........

RWEI

Is there someway to distinguish the A70 I get is from new or old product line in future,Like product code or something?

Vantavimeow

Is it the new or old batch that have issues? I just got the combo from shenzenaudio but I'm only powering meze 109s currently but the thought of spending so much on a possible future lemon is worrying.

Top Bottom