• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A70 Pro HP & Preamp Review

Rate this preamplifier and headphone amp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 11.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 277 82.7%

• Total voters

Mosfet

The A70 Pro obviously has world class measurements and power to destory ones ears if not used correctly. For people that already have an A90, A90D, A30 Pro, etc. this isn't going to give you anything audible that you don't already enjoy with your current unit. The new display features may add a little value to some and if you need to use it as a preamp to connect a Hypex or Purifi Class-D amp for a desktop setup this would be perfect.

In my case, I have been waiting for years to upgrade my 5 year old Jotunheim 1. I wish I would have known about ASR before I got into the hobby many years ago as I would have never purchased it. Looking at Amir's review the Jot 1 measures pretty poorly. I still enjoy using it and it powers all of my cans HD600, HD650, ZMF Classic, Beyer DT770, etc. very well. However, I am curious to see how much "better/cleaner" the A70 Pro will sound vs. my old Jot 1. So if you are like me and haven't upgraded your headphone amp in 5 years this seems like it would be a noticable improvement? Hopefully?

Already have an SMSL SU-8 v2 (using XLRs) based on Amir's recommendation many years ago and that sounds amazing. I have level matched and listened to the SU-8 vs my built in AKM4490 in the Jot 1, and can't tell any difference between the two. Will definitely fail a DAC blind listening test between them.

This or the new Topping L70 seems to make sense for me as an upgrade. For the extra $150 for the A70 Pro it seems like a no-brainer, considering what many HiFi companies still charge for poor measuring gear. Do I need 8 watts @ 32ohms? No, but if I can get it for $499 I'll take it.

I'll bet that you won't be able to hear the difference between your "Jot 1" and the new Topping A70 Pro.

shuppatsu

I'll bet that you won't be able to hear the difference between your "Jot 1" and the new Topping A70 Pro.
I'll bet that *I* wouldn't be able to hear the difference. I'm just not very sensitive to distortion and don't listen all that loud. But I bet Amir could. From his review of the Jot 1:

Listening Tests
I did not bother with my usual level matched blind AB tests. Instead I just played some music and turned up the volume to detect distortion. WIth Sennheiser HD-650 there was fair bit of power but once you went past the 2:00 o'clock position on the volume control, you could easily hear the distortion setting in. Similar situation existed with Hifiman HE-400i. Neither could pass my test of loudness without distortion which admittedly means pretty high SPLs (sound levels). :)

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @amirm for such quick review and measurements.
One thing keeps me away from Topping pre/hp amp before is the relatively low input impedance. But, A70Pro has 20kOhm input impedance!! So, after read it from official site, I pull the trigger immediately! Will check how it sound compared with HPA4 when arrived.
I don't get the relevance of 20K input impedance to say 5K. or even 100K.
perhaps someone can explain it to me. Thanx.

MAK1975

Thanks for your help! Yes, another ASR member also confirmed this as well. I didn't know if there would be an audible difference as I don't have any other HE amp to compare it to and there have been so many new HE Amp/technologies (THX, Discrete, T'ang-ku-la:p) over the past 5 years since I bought it. It sounds like most of these technologies are a lot of hype vs actual audible performance. There are probably some other benefits on the new HE amps like lower operating temps that lead to longer product lifespan. Obviously small features like 12v trigger outs, digital display, flexible input selections, muting your headphones when using as a pre-amp for passive loudspeakers, etc. That being said are these features worth replacing my Jot 1? From a cost to performance prespective it doesn't sound like it. The Jot1 currently powers all of my headphones with more than ample headroom.

JRG123

Amazing performance, reasonable price. Plus, it looks gorgeous in gray
topping-a70-pro-headphone-amplifier-preamp-balanced-volume-r2r-black.jpg

Mosfet

Thanks for your help! Yes, another ASR member also confirmed this as well. I didn't know if there would be an audible difference as I don't have any other HE amp to compare it to and there have been so many new HE Amp/technologies (THX, Discrete, T'ang-ku-la:p) over the past 5 years since I bought it. It sounds like most of these technologies are a lot of hype vs actual audible performance. There are probably some other benefits on the new HE amps like lower operating temps that lead to longer product lifespan. Obviously small features like 12v trigger outs, digital display, flexible input selections, muting your headphones when using as a pre-amp for passive loudspeakers, etc. That being said are these features worth replacing my Jot 1? From a cost to performance prespective it doesn't sound like it. The Jot1 currently powers all of my headphones with more than ample headroom.

I own the Jotunheim amp as well. It gets along very well with all my headphones. While it might not 'measure' as well as the new A70 Pro, the only way to tell if there any real sonic differences is to perform a proper blind listening test between both amplifier devices.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I own the Jotunheim amp as well. It gets along very well with all my headphones. While it might not 'measure' as well as the new A70 Pro, the only way to tell if there any real sonic differences is to perform a proper blind listening test between both amplifier devices.
Which version do you own? I can tell you if it is the one here;

The difference should be immediate and glaring for any decently seasoned ear. Unless the music you listen to happens to be extremely old and low resolution; the amount of distortion in products under 90 SINAD is just too high where it becomes obvious to me nearly immedately. I have a Spotify playlist which helps to point these issues out which you can find without even doing a DBX test and then you can confirm what you were able to hear later with a DBX test.

MAK1975

Agreed. Just like with my 2 DACs. I cannot hear any audible difference between the built in AK4490 DAC in my Jotunheim vs. my SMSL SU-8 V2. I have volume matched them and can't tell them apart in blind AB tests. Failed the test everytime! I know the SU-8 measures better than the AK4490, but no difference to my ears! Appreciate the feedback. Better to put the $$ toward a new Hypex Class-D amp and pair of bookshelf speakers.:D

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Agreed. Just like with my 2 DACs. I cannot hear any audible difference between the built in AK4490 DAC in my Jotunheim vs. my SMSL SU-8 V2. I have volume matched them and can't tell them apart in blind AB tests. Failed the test everytime! I know the SU-8 measures better than the AK4490, but no difference to my ears! Appreciate the feedback. Better to put the $$ toward a new Hypex Class-D amp and pair of bookshelf speakers.:D
What Amp are you testing them with? What music sources? While your music might not be high res enough or your amp not good enough, it definitely has a difference in fidelity that will come out in better recorded music.

MAK1975

Which version do you own? I can tell you if it is the one here;

The difference should be immediate and glaring for any decently seasoned ear. Unless the music you listen to happens to be extremely old and low resolution; the amount of distortion in products under 90 SINAD is just too high where it becomes obvious to me nearly immedately. I have a Spotify playlist which helps to point these issues out which you can find without even doing a DBX test and then you can confirm what you were able to hear later with a DBX test.
I own the original Jotunheim 1 released in 2016. Looks like from Amir's 2018 test it measured an 84 SINAD. Not great compared to today's SOTA measurements, but audibily would I be able to hear any difference with something like a A70 Pro? That's why I asked the question due to low SINAD measurement.

MAK1975

What Amp are you testing them with? What music sources? While your music might not be high res enough or your amp not good enough, it definitely has a difference in fidelity that will come out in better recorded music.
Jot 1 headphone amp with HD600s. Roon server with parametric convolution EQ. Both DACs (SU-8 & Jot internal AK4490 DAC) playing the same tracks simultaneously via Qobuz streams. I personally can't hear any difference.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I own the original Jotunheim 1 released in 2016. Looks like from Amir's 2018 test it measured an 84 SINAD. Not great compared to today's SOTA measurements, but audibily would I be able to hear any difference with something like a A70 Pro? That's why I asked the question due to low SINAD measurement.
Definitely if driven by a DAC with more performance than that 84 SINAD.

The Fulla2 for example which has slightly more performance (in SINAD) and the Modi2 Multibit (around the same SINAD) vs the Jot was hugely different in terms of DAC output vs a SMSL M8 back in the day. The Topping DX7 definitely brought about a large difference at 107 SINAD (on the "new/current" format of testing). Any song that has things like Cymbals or Violin or even higher piano notes sounded muffled or would "clip" on the lower SINAD parts.
Electronic music often has wide frequency and dynamic ranges so it becomes the most apparent that the music sounds "muffled" or closed off with specific parts of specific songs easier to point out.
So part of how much of a difference you will hear does depend on what music you listen to. I found that like Mainstream rap (which I don't listen to really anymore) has a very poor dynamic range and its much harder to tell a difference between lower end products and SOTA products.

nagster

- the input imedance of the A70 Pro is 20 k, it's better than the 2 or 10 K of previous models, but still not fully universal, especially for some vintage analog components.- the input imedance of the A70 Pro is 20 k, it's better than the 2 or 10 K of previous models, but still not fully universal, especially for some vintage analog components.
Input impedance of the RME is 40 K, and in the golden age of hifi, the standard was 47 k.

Dear Topping engineers and commercials, please do these two last efforts to get quasi perfection.
Hmm, I think TOPPING performance is meaningless for "especially for some vintage analog components".
It is unreasonable for them, who fight with performance as their weapon, to conduct development considering them. Leave it to someone else.
There is no appeal in average and mediocre products with dispersed resources. Hopefully they will focus on improving performance and reliability and moving forward.

That being said, I think the performance is already near the limit. With nothing to do, they will start spending their time on improving versatility, convenience, and usability.

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Jot 1 headphone amp with HD600s. Roon server with parametric convolution EQ. Both DACs (SU-8 & Jot internal AK4490 DAC) playing the same tracks simultaneously via Qobuz streams. I personally can't hear any difference.
That makes sense if you are using the Jot headphone amp as the test. Both DAC's would be bottlenecked by the Amp itself which doesn't produce much over 90 SINAD at a normal listening volume.
I personally also have an SU-8S and I can confirm the quality is SOTA. To me it clearly sounds cleaner vs some other lower tier products I have tested through my testing program.

What tracks are you playing? What music do you listen to?
^This playlist has several tracks from different genre's that I have selected which have specific frequencies that highlight differences in performance or make it easier for you to hear the differences in performance.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Amazing performance, never seen these distortion-free graphs for an headphone amp. All that has to be done now is coming up with a headphone the really needs that kind of power.
It's not distortion free, just below the noise floor of Amir's AP (see plots below).
There are already headphones around that need that power to reach impressively loud levels.

7686104.jpg

AaronJ

I really do think this is the front end for my system I am looking for. Remote controlled relay step attenuation with perfect output. Massively powerful headphone. All the I/O I need (1 digital and 1 analog source). And a gorgeous display. There are very, very few products with a similar package in this price range. I think my Lyr+ may be on the chopping block.

Top Bottom