• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A50s Headphone Amplifier Review

kkeretic

Has anyone noticed the unit gets pretty hot if you leave it on with no music playing? I put my amp on top of my dac as well. I try and turn it off when I leave my desk. If I forget and come back its like a hand warmer :p

Hm, my A50s barely warms up a bit if I leave it on. Practically the same as the old A50.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My knowledge of cables tells me that quadstar only works with balanced signals and directional cables for audio (even more for unbalanced signals) is almost snake oil...for unbalanced audio signals a nice coaxial cable with double braid shield do a wonderful job. Better than that just a conformable cable - I may being talking BS
Thanks man, i bought some coaxial 75ohm cables to test your idea. Maybe those multi core cables are more prone to rfi and a good old coaxial can solve.

Bow_Wazoo

yes, as soon as you plug in the plug, you hear a relay switch.

Btw. Unbalanced is working

Bow_Wazoo

I'm fed up and will sell all the topping things. my reaction may be exaggerated. but i'm just glad my utopia wasn't harmed.

4udio

is it normal for the A50s to get so damn hot?
Mine unit becomes very hot when attached to P50 power supply but that is not the case when on provided power supply. I don;t know why but it seams something is not 100% compatible in this combo. I have D50s + P50 + A50s stack. Problem with heating makes my stack unusable so I've put D50s + P50 in leaving room and SU-9 + A50s (excelente combo) for headphone listening.

kkeretic

My A50s is dead.
Using the Ballanced Output it's just giving one loud noise.

OMG :rolleyes:. I've been using mine intensively for about three weeks now and everything works great for now, it is barely warm even after several hours of usage. Been using a balanced output since a week ago and at the beginning it turned itself off twice time when left idle. Didn't happen again since. Planned to get another one instead of L30 to replace my second A50. Or even A30 Pro when it arrives. But now I'll definitely wait to see how things develop. Hope this is just an exception. And glad to hear it didn't ruined the headphones.

Veri

Master Contributor
OMG :rolleyes:. I've been using mine intensively for about three weeks now and everything works great for now, it is barely warm even after several hours of usage. Been using a balanced output since a week ago and at the beginning it turned itself off twice time when left idle. Didn't happen again since. Planned to get another one instead of L30 to replace my second A50. Or even A30 Pro when it arrives. But now I'll definitely wait to see how things develop. Hope this is just an exception. And glad to hear it didn't ruined the headphones.
He could have received a DOA (dead on arrival) unit if the balanced out had never output anything other than noise. Unfortunate, but reasily replaceable.

Bow_Wazoo

No Bud,

until that time, i only used the balanced output ...

Bow_Wazoo

2010 here...

P50 is sold.
D50s is going back to Jeff B.
A50s straight to China.

ADI will replace them

kkeretic

Thank you.
So I can't use it as a Preamp, but only as a headphone amplifier and that's it ?

Yes, as an headphones amplifier or switch to pass the signal to some integrated amplifier, another preamp or another headphones amp. I like that 'coz I can pass the signal to my second headphones amp.

Top Bottom