• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A50s Headphone Amplifier Review

Veri

Master Contributor
So the L30 has a tendency to fail and take the sundaras with it? that's not good...i think i might have to continue see if the a50s suffers from this issue as well
Reports of L30 having static electricity problems are only just now trickling in... probably because it's winter, dry weather, worse situations... but yes, perhaps for the timing being better to err on the side of caution.

Reactions: PSO

Maki

So the L30 has a tendency to fail and take the sundaras with it? that's not good...i think i might have to continue see if the a50s suffers from this issue as well
I've zapped the crap out of my a50s, it hasn't exploded yet. I actually zap all of my amps. I should probably get rid of that habit and find a better way of getting rid of static.

I've zapped the crap out of my a50s, it hasn't exploded yet. I actually zap all of my amps. I should probably get rid of that habit and find a better way of getting rid of static.
Ok so if I understand this correctly, the L30 and a50s shares similar circuitry, which suggests there's a possibility that the a50s could go bonkers as well...correct me if I'm wrong but the a50s is a fairly recent product release yea? I.e we may not have a long enough sample time to say it is completely issue free

Veri

Master Contributor
Ok so if I understand this correctly, the L30 and a50s shares similar circuitry, which suggests there's a possibility that the a50s could go bonkers as well...correct me if I'm wrong but the a50s is a fairly recent product release yea? I.e we may not have a long enough sample time to say it is completely issue free
The power supply is entirely different though. It's a nested feedback amp, there about ends the similarities.

The power supply is entirely different though. It's a nested feedback amp, there about ends the similarities.
so you're suggesting that the issues with the L30 is exclusive and the a50s doesn't share the same problem?

the thing is the Magni Heresy seems like a decent shout for the price but the cost to get it to Malaysia(i.e postage and customs) is pretty high...the local unauthorised resellers are selling them here above what the amp actually costs, it's about USD 8 to go from the heresy to the a50s...so the rationale was i might as well get the a50s

raif71

Major Contributor
the thing is the Magni Heresy seems like a decent shout for the price but the cost to get it to Malaysia(i.e postage and customs) is pretty high...the local unauthorised resellers are selling them here above what the amp actually costs, it's about USD 8 to go from the heresy to the a50s...so the rationale was i might as well get the a50s
Haha...welcome to ASR. I'm from Malaysia too and yes the local reseller charge an arm and leg for Schiit products. By any chance, did you find the reseller via Shopee?

Haha...welcome to ASR. I'm from Malaysia too and yes the local reseller charge an arm and leg for Schiit products. By any chance, did you find the reseller via Shopee?
Hey man yea nice to meet you...yea i found the reseller on Shopee? you know them or is that you? lolzzzz

Reactions: PSO

polestarBoi

Is it fine to run this amp always on? I also just heard a click (like the relay when it turns on) come from the amp twice in about 1 hour, the audio didnt cut out or anything tho and it wasn't running hot at all

polestarBoi

Ok it just did it again, this time the audio did cut off for like 0.5 seconds. Really weird

Anyone have a clue of what it could be or if I should be worried? The AMP has just 1 week of usage always on low gain and low volume on the pot

TomB19

Wiggle the headphone jack and see if it cuts out when you twist and wiggle it.

polestarBoi

Na that doesnt make it click at all, again did it for the 3rd day in a row. I'm starting to think it's something built into the amp itself because it does ittwice per day at about the same hour and 30-40 minutes apart between both relay clicks. @JohnYang1997 any clue what this could be?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Na that doesnt make it click at all, again did it for the 3rd day in a row. I'm starting to think it's something built into the amp itself because it does ittwice per day at about the same hour and 30-40 minutes apart between both relay clicks. @JohnYang1997 any clue what this could be?

The relay will click if the A50s loses power. Have you checked all the connections between your power outlet and the back of the A50s?

GeorgeWalk

Is the power supply not putting out enough current or overheating causing the voltage to sag?

polestarBoi

Is the power supply not putting out enough current or overheating causing the voltage to sag?
I honestly have no clue, it seemed fine to the touch temperature wise. It makes sense that it would be something like @Berwhale says
I've plugged it straight to the wall instead to the splitter where every cable goes to see if it happens again.

Cidious

Because the small know is a real bitch to operate on a daily I thought to order an elastic rubber thingy...

WeChat Image_20210120190015 (Large).jpg

Whoopsie! Works like a charm though!
WeChat Image_20210120190045 (Large).jpg

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So I find what my problem is. I bought my A50S to my mom house and the fm radio interference was gone. So where I live the radio station has too much of a strong signal it seems that even well shielded starquad directional cables seem to struggle rejecting

kkeretic

So I find what my problem is. I bought my A50S to my mom house and the fm radio interference was gone. So where I live the radio station has too much of a strong signal it seems that even well shielded starquad directional cables seem to struggle rejecting

What if you unplug the cable from A50s? Would you still hear the radio through the amp?

Top Bottom