• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

Jbbanks

decided to get the D30 along with amp, everything sounds great so far. No more hissin high gain once I changed out the modi with the d30.

Attachments

• photo_2022-08-11_17-06-47.jpg
    photo_2022-08-11_17-06-47.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 185
  • photo_2022-08-11_17-06-47 (2).jpg
    photo_2022-08-11_17-06-47 (2).jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 182

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does anybody know the input impedance? Both single-ended and XLR

HBIII

I have a question about the specs of this amp. On the spec sheet it says the input sensitivity is:
  • SE IN: 60Vrms @ low gain, 12.6Vrms @ medium gain, 2.7Vrms @ high gain
  • BAL IN: 12.7Vrms @ low gain, 12.7Vrms @ medium gain, 2.7Vrms @ high gain
Why is the input sensitivity the same for low gain and medium gain when using balanced in? I was under the impression that the gain just amplified or attenuated the input signal, which would mean the low gain balanced should also have an input sensitivity around 60Vrms as well. What am I missing here?

Atanasi

Forum Donor
Why is the input sensitivity the same for low gain and medium gain when using balanced in? I was under the impression that the gain just amplified or attenuated the input signal, which would mean the low gain balanced should also have an input sensitivity around 60Vrms as well. What am I missing here?
The balanced input has a voltage limit and cannot reach the full output voltage at low gain.

HBIII

The balanced input has a voltage limit and cannot reach the full output voltage at low gain.
So then if you are using balanced in in low gain mode you will get clipping if you go above 12.7v but the headphone output will still be not be very loud? So does the L gain switch also attenuate the output signal and not just the input signal or something? Or when using balanced in is there no difference when switching between L and M gain? Still confused about why this would be the case when the gain switch should just be a simple input amplification/attenuation like every other piece of audio equipment and studio gear I have. The more I look into topping gear the more strange quirks it all has…

Last edited:

Atanasi

Forum Donor
So then if you are using balanced in in low gain mode you will get clipping if you go above 12.7v but the headphone output will still be not be very loud? So does the L gain switch also attenuate the output signal and not just the input signal or something? Still confused about why this would be the case when the gain switch should just be a simple input attenuation…
The amp may also have internal clipping depending on how it’s implemented, or significant overload may break the device. In this case the input voltage is also limited.

HBIII

The amp may also have internal clipping depending on how it’s implemented, or significant overload may break the device. In this case the input voltage is also limited.
Hmm. A little worrying since professional studio gear can get above 12.7V when it is at 0dbfs. I was hoping I could safely use this amp. Thanks for your responses!

Last edited:

NexusOne

Actually i use the Smsl Sh9. I am interested in the A30 Pro because of the power. Would you upgrade? The only problem is the A30Pro doesn't have a remote. Is it a disadvantage to change the volume with the DAC or is it always better to go with the full power of the DAC in the headphone amp or is there no difference between changing the volume on the DAC or headphone amp?

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually i use the Smsl Sh9. I am interested in the A30 Pro because of the power. Would you upgrade? The only problem is the A30Pro doesn't have a remote. Is it a disadvantage to change the volume with the DAC or is it always better to go with the full power of the DAC in the headphone amp or is there no difference between changing the volume on the DAC or headphone amp?
What remote feature would you want? Volume is handled by the D30 pro unless you run it in Pure DAC then your source would do volume.

usern

What headphones do you use that require A30pro levels of power? Are they too quiet with SH9?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
What remote feature would you want? Volume is handled by the D30 pro unless you run it in Pure DAC then your source would do volume.
Well this would depend on how he is using it. It is not good to lower the volume on the DAC under the 2 Volt or 4 volt (bal) threshold if you are using it with a headphone amplifier as it will cause additional distortion

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well this would depend on how he is using it. It is not good to lower the volume on the DAC under the 2 Volt or 4 volt (bal) threshold if you are using it with a headphone amplifier as it will cause additional distortion
It is a challenge with 3 volumes to deal with. I have my D set typically at -15 to -20 the A at about 3/4’s as that keeps the heat low. Then I use my source for fine control.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
It is a challenge with 3 volumes to deal with. I have my D set typically at -15 to -20 the A at about 3/4’s as that keeps the heat low. Then I use my source for fine control.
Just to maximize dynamics and reduce distortion due to digiral volume processing, I would max all the volume controls in the digital domain and play with amplifier's gain and volume knob to adjust the volume.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to maximize dynamics and reduce distortion due to digiral volume processing, I would max all the volume controls in the digital domain and play with amplifier's gain and volume knob to adjust the volume.
Yeah no can do. Genelec’s are active.

NexusOne

No. Actually i ony have Foster headphones, HD560S and R70x. They are easy to drive, only the R70x needs a bit more power. I tried the headphone output from my TV and I recognized that it is not much quieter than my D6 / SH9 combination. For instance. The Denon 5000 is on 60-70 on the first gain. I only want an amplifier with more reserves because in future i want to try planars like Hifiman and some of them need more power.

My case: I had the Dacmagic 100, so i needed an amplifier with a remote. I bought the SH9. I exchanged the Cambridge through the D6 with a remote. So there is no duty to have an amplifier with a remote. And a few days ago I discovered the A30Pro. It is 3-4 times so powerful.

The A30/D30 Pro is no fail construction. That's too hard to say. But a remote for the A30Pro instead for the D30Pro would be much better? You are more flexible because you can put the power from 0 to 100. Of course you could put the D30Pro on the highest setting (full volume, highest gain) but the sound quality suffer from it. Am i right?

A weaker volume level from the DAC with more amplification from the amplifier is worse than the highest level with less amplification. Is that correct? So it is always better to have an amplifier with remote. Reducing the volume with the amp is better than with the DAC.

But there is no amplifier with a remote with so much power. Or do you know pre-amps for the SH9? So the only solution is to keep the SH9 and to buy the A30Pro and to connect it with the D6 and with loop through with the SH9.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
So it is always better to have an amplifier with remote
Problem is that a remote for an analog amplifier stage volume implies a motorized one or a more complex resistor ladder with relays. Both approaches are more expensive than the humble volume knob. My experience with both analog and didital volume solutions is that I don't hear noticeable differences, so I think running a D30 Pro +A30 Pro, setting the right gain and maxing the volume knob on the latter, setting D30 in Pre mode and controlling the volume with its remote wouldn't decrease sound quality to noticeable levels, althogh teoretically is an inferior solution. But everyone has a different ear!

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The A30/D30 Pro is no fail construction. That's too hard to say. But a remote for the A30Pro instead for the D30Pro would be much better? You are more flexible because you can put the power from 0 to 100. Of course you could put the D30Pro on the highest setting (full volume, highest gain) but the sound quality suffer from it. Am i right?
I’m not entirely clear on your comments. But if I get it I would say no. You can run the D30 pro straight DAC in which case -0 full power but then you be running the A30 pro at a much lower gain. I’ve found from my year of use the A30 pro runs much nicer at higher levels. Typically 3/4 and it stays at a low temperature so I run the D30 pro at -15. That gives me lot’s of room on the remote to go up or down.

I suppose it depends on your use but I don’t want a family member connecting to a system at full power so I use the DAC with the pre amp mode.

There should be no quality issue with either at any volume.

Top Bottom