• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have black and A and D have the same knob.

Fordski

Stupid question:
Has there been a new revision at some point or do the silver and black version always have different knobs?

I just ordered a black one and immediately noticed that something is different...

See yourself:
View attachment 219514
I do remember reading a review online while researching the A30 Pro and there was mention of a change to the larger volume control. It was added later as people were complaining about the thinner one being harder to grip. My black one has the thinner one and I bought it about a month ago so it may have been older stock.

arichman

I have a Topping D70 DAC which I'm very happy with, but I'm using it in my main system which sits 10 feet away and I cannot read the volume setting. Am I right in thinking that the D30 Pro is the best measuring Topping DAC that has the hi vis orange read out? I do need the multiple inputs and remote, and I like the internal power supply as well.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I have a Topping D70 DAC which I'm very happy with, but I'm using it in my main system which sits 10 feet away and I cannot read the volume setting. Am I right in thinking that the D30 Pro is the best measuring Topping DAC that has the hi vis orange read out? I do need the multiple inputs and remote, and I like the internal power supply as well.
I think it is and there are a couple for sale in the WTS section AFAIK

Jbbanks

Just bought the the A30pro, going to get the D30pro soon. I currently have Audioquest Nighthawk Carbons, Fostex TH900 and Th-X00. Did I make a mistake in going the A30 stack route with my current headphones? I kept hearing Topping was the go to for EDM so I couldnt resist.

Im upgrading from a Shiit Heresey and Modi stack. 99% of my listening is EDM, Techno and Witch House along with gaming. The Nighthawk carbons and the Fostex headphones are absolutely stunning while playing Battlefield 5, its breathtaking even with the Shiit stack.

Veri

Master Contributor
its breathtaking even with the Shiit stack.
Well. The heresy is a perfectly fine amp. A30 Pro has tons and tons of power but if you don't need the additional power, chances are you won't really hear anything different..?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Well. The heresy is a perfectly fine amp. A30 Pro has tons and tons of power but if you don't need the additional power, chances are you won't really hear anything different..?
Well the A30 does have better sound quality. However I would agree with you that the heresy already has good enough sound quality that it would be very hard to tell the difference if not impossible while using that Modi DAC.
Just bought the the A30pro, going to get the D30pro soon. I currently have Audioquest Nighthawk Carbons, Fostex TH900 and Th-X00. Did I make a mistake in going the A30 stack route with my current headphones? I kept hearing Topping was the go to for EDM so I couldnt resist.

Im upgrading from a Shiit Heresey and Modi stack. 99% of my listening is EDM, Techno and Witch House along with gaming. The Nighthawk carbons and the Fostex headphones are absolutely stunning while playing Battlefield 5, its breathtaking even with the Shiit stack.
Honestly you should have updated your DAC first. As the Modi DAC is not really that great unless you have the newest one. Honestly buying the D30 pro would be the biggest upgrade for you at this moment.
Or honestly any of the other affordable competent DACs.

Jbbanks

Im getting some hissing from my heresey and it needs to be upgraded, I will get the D30pro along with the a30pro i picked up on head-fi classified. What I was concerned with is the a30pro being a downgrade soundwise for dynamic headphones. Im planning on getting into the IEM game as well and Iv seen that the a30pro works well with IEMs.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Im getting some hissing from my heresey and it needs to be upgraded,
Is this a hissing that developed over time or now you tried IEM's and notice hiss? I'm wondering about the Heresy because I bought a new one last week. It works great, runs slightly warm to the touch and it cranks a lot. It goes very loud and I think it has enough power to damage the Sennheiser HD 598SR headphones that I use. I never go to the driver damaging point but pretty close. I had software and hardware changes simultaneously. I got EQ APO and Peace EQ because the Realtek motherboard sound driver was not permitting the ASUS EQ to operate via USB output. I installed EQ APO and Peace EQ and was already outputting via USB to the JDS Labs Atom DAC+ the sound came on. I have more PEQ control now, peak level adjustments and much more gain on the PEQ gain controls. Overall it goes louder, sounds better and I don't worry about my expensive motherboard audio hardware failing from cranking it too much.

Jbbanks

Iv loved my heresey for a few years now, its goton alot of use, its time to upgrade it though. Its been an amazing little bang for the buck. Its more so there is alot of static that is noticeable when changing the volume. Yes I have cranked it, I dont think its a fault of the amp, iv just used it so much, its more I just want to upgrade. It still sounds amazing with all my headphones.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Iv loved my heresey for a few years now, its goton alot of use, its time to upgrade it though. Its been an amazing little bang for the buck. Its more so there is alot of static that is noticeable when changing the volume. Yes I have cranked it, I dont think its a fault of the amp, iv just used it so much, its more I just want to upgrade. It still sounds amazing with all my headphones.
Probably needs a squirt of contact cleaner and lubricant in the volume control.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Im getting some hissing from my heresey and it needs to be upgraded, I will get the D30pro along with the a30pro i picked up on head-fi classified. What I was concerned with is the a30pro being a downgrade soundwise for dynamic headphones. Im planning on getting into the IEM game as well and Iv seen that the a30pro works well with IEMs.
The A30 Pro is in no way a downgrade from the heresy. It was the top performing amp for quite a while.
Probably needs a squirt of contact cleaner and lubricant in the volume control.
Yes some of their volume controls really start to wear out quite quickly. My original magni 3 would have some scratching in one channel from the day I took it out of the box. I ended up just selling it
Is this a hissing that developed over time or now you tried IEM's and notice hiss? I'm wondering about the Heresy because I bought a new one last week. It works great, runs slightly warm to the touch and it cranks a lot. It goes very loud and I think it has enough power to damage the Sennheiser HD 598SR headphones that I use. I never go to the driver damaging point but pretty close. I had software and hardware changes simultaneously. I got EQ APO and Peace EQ because the Realtek motherboard sound driver was not permitting the ASUS EQ to operate via USB output. I installed EQ APO and Peace EQ and was already outputting via USB to the JDS Labs Atom DAC+ the sound came on. I have more PEQ control now, peak level adjustments and much more gain on the PEQ gain controls. Overall it goes louder, sounds better and I don't worry about my expensive motherboard audio hardware failing from cranking it too much.
Also will sound much better than your motherboard audio. The best motherboard audio implementations really don't have that much performance.

Jbbanks

I have not used IEM's yet.

Im planning on getting the d30pro to use with my A30pro, would there be a better DAC to pair with the A30pro? My understanding is the saying goes the DAC makes up 5% of your setup.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I have not used IEM's yet.

Im planning on getting the d30pro to use with my A30pro, would there be a better DAC to pair with the A30pro? My understanding is the saying goes the DAC makes up 5% of your setup.
I don't think there is specifically a better dock to use with it as the stack is paired. So aesthetically they will go together and the performance is still top chart.
There are objectively a few better devices but objectively I doubt that the performance difference is audible.

Jonne Haven

My A30 Pro gets HOT! Almost burning hot.

I'm running it on medium gain. I've read here about failures, does anyone have a unit that has lasted longer than 2 months?

Blessings,
-J

raif71

Major Contributor

I'm running it on medium gain. I've read here about failures, does anyone have a unit that has lasted longer than 2 months?

Blessings,
-J
My A30Pro is slightly more than a year now. I use the unit sparingly... I have others ... For me it's a rotational gear usage based on whims. :)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve been using a D/A30 pro stack for months with no issue. The A30 pro needs to be on top for ventilation because it does get warm. It has so much power though I can’t imagine ever running it to max.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Blessings,
-J
Using the Topping D30Pro/A30Pro stack daily since march 2021, just as fine now as it was out of the box.

1000ROUNDZ

Blessings,
-J
Been using my stack since end of APR 2021 on a daily basis without any issues. The stack also survived a move from the US to Europe without any issues.
It gets hot but nothing burning hot. I do have the A30Pro on top however.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Been using my stack since end of APR 2021 on a daily basis without any issues. The stack also survived a move from the US to Europe without any issues.
It gets hot but nothing burning hot. I do have the A30Pro on top however.
As a general rule; Amps should be on top as they typically generate more heat than DAC's.

Top Bottom