• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

jdizzle

hey all
my a30 pro I bought when it came out seems to have stopped working?
The power LED is blinking and I'm not getting any sound. In the manual it says "blinks to indicate unexpected output"
I tried the obvious things, unplugging and replugging in everything. But it just keeps blinking and I get no sound.
Anyone have thoughts on what to do here?

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
hey all
my a30 pro I bought when it came out seems to have stopped working?
The power LED is blinking and I'm not getting any sound. In the manual it says "blinks to indicate unexpected output"
I tried the obvious things, unplugging and replugging in everything. But it just keeps blinking and I get no sound.
Anyone have thoughts on what to do here?
Does it happen without any headphones connected? If so, seems to be a hw fault. Needs repair or being exchanged by the seller.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I thought of getting a D10 Balanced for my A30 Pro but the input sensitiviy of the A30 Pro is only 2.7V on high gain.
Does this mean that the amp would clip with the 4.2V output of the D10 balanced?

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
I thought of getting a D10 Balanced for my A30 Pro but the input sensitiviy of the A30 Pro is only 2.7V on high gain.
Does this mean that the amp would clip with the 4.2V output of the D10 balanced?
I don’t think so. The balanced inputs should be adjusted for their nominal voltage

NexusOne

You said it depends on my use. Which is the problem if you manage the volume with the DAC? Clipping? Actually i have the Smsl D6. which volume position on the A30 Pro is bad? Which things should you avoid? More volume low gain or less volume and higher gain? What is correct? I would be very happy to see an A30 Pro with remote in future. This would be perfect.

usern

You will not be clipping A30pro with most headphones before the headphones blow up. But low and med gain do not clip at all according to Amir's graphs (at 4V input).

NexusOne

And do you know a good pre-amp to make a headphone-amplifier more powerful or is the A90Pro the cheapest way? My idea is Smsl D6 & SH9 and in future an A30Pro between them. Is this a stupid idea? Does loop through influence the sound of the last amplifier in this chain (more cables, interruption)?

usern

If you want very powerful amplifier with remote, then there is A90 Discrete for that. You have to use balanced headphone connector for maximum output though. A30pro does not have preamp functionality. What do you mean by using preamp to make headphone amplifier more powerful? Your SMSL D6 is good preamp for both SH9 and A30pro. It outputs standard line level voltages (2V RCA and 4V balanced TRS).

NexusOne

Yes, i know that the A30Pro is no preamplifier. The A90 is on the unbalanced output very weak. I meant that there is an amplifier which i could put before the SH9 to have more power with the SH9. But it seems that there is no possibility? The only thing i want is more reserves. Which brand is more robust with less defects? Smsl or Topping?

There are only very expensive amplifiers from Violectric or Burson. But the measurements from Burson are very bad. Are these measurements important or could the signature from Burson be better for some?

Actually i think I'll buy the A30Pro and use this one. But i will keep the SH9.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, i know that the A30Pro is no preamplifier. The A90 is on the unbalanced output very weak. I meant that there is an amplifier which i could put before the SH9 to have more power with the SH9. But it seems that there is no possibility? The only thing i want is more reserves. Which brand is more robust with less defects? Smsl or Topping?

There are only very expensive amplifiers from Violectric or Burson. But the measurements from Burson are very bad. Are these measurements important or could the signature from Burson be better for some?

Actually i think I'll buy the A30Pro and use this one. But i will keep the SH9.
The SH9 doesnt get your AT R70 loud enough? Isnt that your hardest to drive headphone?

NexusOne

Yes, that is true. Actually it is the headphone that needs the most power. A question: Is Tidal quieter that other streaming services? But also Prime and Netflix don't have the highest output level. That's the main problem. The R70x is loud enough but i have not much reserves and i think my Ifi Ican SE a was louder. Maybe here are users which own SH9 and A30Pro.

usern

I meant that there is an amplifier which i could put before the SH9 to have more power with the SH9. But it seems that there is no possibility?
No, it seems good amps from Topping and SMSL are pretty well optimised for standard line inputs (4V balanced for example) so that they will clip with high gain at nearly 100% volume. Do you use RCA or balanced cables to connect D6 and SH9?
Which brand is more robust with less defects? Smsl or Topping?
Hard to tell, I would just buy from a seller where you can easily deal with warranty issues. I had A30pro die on me first week of use and I sent it back to Linsoul and they refunded me. I bought it again from Amazon, because it's easier to send stuff in Europe there.

NexusOne

Maybe i should wait until I have a headphone which needs more power in future. Only the power, the good price and the old school design are good points. I use balanced cables. That was the reason why i upgraded from the Dacmagic (no balanced connection). The Topping has over 800 MW, the Smsl 200 MW at the same resistance level. Is it true that the SH9 @ full volume is 1/3 to 1/4 from the volume of the A30Pro?

abhishek

My Arya v2 can easily utilise 60% volume on high gain without any clipping on amp and headphone side, only my ear starts clipping for heavy bass, I guess d10b 4.2v will makes a30pro run out of power at high gain 70% volume rotation if you use power hungry headphone like suswara, remaining 30%volume rotates without increase in loudness or amp may shutdown.

Last edited:

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Just a novice’s question: A30 Pro has an input sensitivity of 2,7 Vrms on both SE and balanced inputs. It is connected to the D30 Pro in DAC mode (so D30 Pro is outputting max voltage, which is 2 Vrms for its SE output and 4 Vrms for its balanced output). Is it possible to clip the amplifier’s input stage if I connect both balanced?

Veri

Master Contributor
Just a novice’s question: A30 Pro has an input sensitivity of 2,7 Vrms on both SE and balanced inputs. It is connected to the D30 Pro in DAC mode (so D30 Pro is outputting max voltage, which is 2 Vrms for its SE output and 4 Vrms for its balanced output). Is it possible to clip the amplifier’s input stage if I connect both balanced?
The answer to this is already answered in this very thread page

So yes if you get closer to maximum volume pot range you can get it to clip.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
The answer to this is already answered in this very thread page

So yes if you get closer to maximum volume pot range you can get it to clip.
Thanks a lot for your answer. But i’m not concerned with overall clipping, but clipping the input stage (before gain and volume controls) due to the mismatch between max output voltage of the D30 balanced output (4 Vrms) and the A30 Pro 2,7 Vrms balanced input sensitivity. If this sort of clipping happens, I would hear distorted sound no matter the which gain and volume set.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks a lot for your answer. But i’m not concerned with overall clipping, but clipping the input stage (before gain and volume controls) due to the mismatch between max output voltage of the D30 balanced output (4 Vrms) and the A30 Pro 2,7 Vrms balanced input sensitivity. If this sort of clipping happens, I would hear distorted sound no matter the which gain and volume set.
No

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Could this voltage and sensitivity mismatch just be fixed with the EQ APO preamp?
The difference between 4V and 2.7V should be 20•log(2.7/4)= -3.4dB

Top Bottom