• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Im really wondering between this(+D30pro) and RME ADI-2 DAC FS V2.

Both are transparent and there would be no audible difference i suppose, but still we are all here for better (measuring) products, be it placebo or not.

Im a bit of a purist so the EQ features would be nice to have, but maybe wont be used as much at all. And the DAC Portion of the RME is a bit weak for my taste (especially dynamic range) , when you can have better products for less money.

Maybe I gotta roll a dice.. :p

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

Both are transparent and there would be no audible difference i suppose, but still we are all here for better (measuring) products, be it placebo or not.

Im a bit of a purist so the EQ features would be nice to have, but maybe wont be used as much at all. And the DAC Portion of the RME is a bit weak for my taste (especially dynamic range) , when you can have better products for less money.

The dac in adi2dac is only comparable to d10s. I really feel like how is it still like this. No matter how much better the other end gets you'll still get compared to this end.

Last edited:

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor

RME PEQ only has 5 bands which is deal breaker for me.

Tatteredmidnight

The dac in adi2dac is not even as good as d10s. I really feel like how is it still like this. No matter how much better the other end gets you'll still get compared to this end.
Having a quick look at the measurements, the DAC in the RME seems to be at least as good as the D10s, and at the point of inaudibility. Where do you find it to be so deficient?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Having a quick look at the measurements, the DAC in the RME seems to be at least as good as the D10s, and at the point of inaudibility. Where do you find it to be so deficient?
?I never said it's bad. It's just that no matter how much better you get you still get compared to it. Regardless of it being 10 times the price (5 compared to a stack).
The PEQ functionality is probably the only thing that's making the difference.

respice finem

Major Contributor
The points where the RME may be preferable IMHO (count me biased because I'm using one):
  1. You get a DAC, preamp and HPA in one.
  2. You may configure a complete "minimalistic" setup with it: for headphones and for active monitors, all conveniently remote controllable.
That said, and presuming a considerable price difference, an apples and oranges comparison anyway.

jawbfl

It's convenient and the important issues as to why one would want to use a balanced cable/headphone are solved just as well as when a real balanced amp were used. Topping is not the only one using SE outputs on balanced connectors instead of fully balanced.
1: There is no common return wire
2: Output voltage (and gain) are higher than most other SE amps.
3: No converters needed, just plug and play. One could say it is missing a 2.5mm TRRS connector ....

I understand Topping isn't the only one doing it, SMSL for example is doing the same, it's not about the power of balance or SE, it's just simpler for the consumer to have a clear convention:
- If it has 4.4 or 4pin XLR output it's truly balanced
- If it has 2 3pin XLRs inputs it takes balanced in
- If it doesn't have preamp don't put a passthrough
- Else have 6.35 out and RCAs in, simpler, clearer, cheaper

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The points where the RME may be preferable IMHO (count me biased because I'm using one):
  1. You get a DAC, preamp and HPA in one.
  2. You may configure a complete "minimalistic" setup with it: for headphones and for active monitors, all conveniently remote controllable.
That said, and presuming a considerable price difference, an apples and oranges comparison anyway.
Yeah. I have adi2pro. You just cannot compare. Almost the opposite of everything.

Shazb0t

So what's the MSRP of this planned to be?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I understand Topping isn't the only one doing it, SMSL for example is doing the same, it's not about the power of balance or SE, it's just simpler for the consumer to have a clear convention:
- If it has 4.4 or 4pin XLR output it's truly balanced
- If it has 2 3pin XLRs inputs it takes balanced in
- If it doesn't have preamp don't put a passthrough
- Else have 6.35 out and RCAs in, simpler, clearer, cheaper

Except there isn't a clear convention.
Tyll once invented double 3-pin XLR for balanced stereo.
Then 4 pin-XLR became a 'standard'
Also for portable they invented 2.5mm TRRS jacks
Sony launched an inbetween for 6.3 and 3.5 (4.4mm TRRRS Pentaconn) and were smart enough to include balanced and added extra ground so SE and Bal is an option.

For Stereo we are stuck with TRS jacks. These jacks are also used for mono balanced in & out connections, mics, line level, instruments.
For audio 3.5mm TRS became a standard until someone started adding mic+remote and added a ring but same shape. There are 2 different 'standards' in this where those idiots swapped ground and mic/remote connections.
There are even some rare folks who wanted to use 3.5mm TRRS for balanced. no success because of the more common mic/remotes.
Then we have the Pentaconn as well for SE.

So there isn't a convention.

All what matters is you can connect your headphones and they work properly. It really doesn't matter if it is balanced or has a single return wire.
The balanced cable will have the same benefits from a TRS out as XLR4 even when the signal is not balanced.
This amp does this, handy for those that want this. The more an amp has the more universal it can be used.

Behind the A30 it says PRO. Pros use TRS jacks, XLR, sometimes RCA (when only present) and the A30Pro takes them all and also home audio used XLR and RCA. The TRS jacks on the rear are clearly marked Balanced and L and R. Those that plug in their headphones haven't read the manual.

I would agree that the rear-outs should clearly state they are pass-throughs when it does not double as a pre-amp. That is confusing indeed.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Except there isn't a clear convention.
Tyll once invented double 3-pin XLR for balanced stereo.
Then 4 pin-XLR became a 'standard'
Also for portable they invented 2.5mm TRRS jacks
Sony launched an inbetween for 6.3 and 3.5 (4.4mm TRRRS Pentaconn) and were smart enough to include balanced and added extra ground so SE and Bal is an option.

For Stereo we are stuck with TRS jacks. These jacks are also used for mono balanced in & out connections, mics, line level, instruments.
For audio 3.5mm TRS became a standard until someone started adding mic+remote and added a ring but same shape. There are 2 different 'standards' in this where those idiots swapped ground and mic/remote connections.
There are even some rare folks who wanted to use 3.5mm TRRS for balanced. no success because of the more common mic/remotes.
Then we have the Pentaconn as well for SE.

So there isn't a convention.

All what matters is you can connect your headphones and they work properly. It really doesn't matter if it is balanced or has a single return wire.
The balanced cable will have the same benefits from a TRS out as XLR4 even when the signal is not balanced.
This amp does this, handy for those that want this. The more an amp has the more universal it can be used.

Behind the A30 it says PRO. Pros use TRS jacks, XLR, sometimes RCA (when only present) and the A30Pro takes them all and also home audio used XLR and RCA. The TRS jacks on the rear are clearly marked Balanced and L and R. Those that plug in their headphones haven't read the manual.

I would agree that the rear-outs should clearly state they are pass-throughs when it does not double as a pre-amp. That is confusing indeed.
People really do need to read manuals. They exist for a reason.
And it really wasn't only once that people use balanced to SE adapter on balanced outputs. Doesn't get loud enough, it turns off when I turn it up....

jawbfl

And it really wasn't only once that people use balanced to SE adapter on balanced outputs. Doesn't get loud enough, it turns off when I turn it up....
I wouldn't blame them to be honest, when you buy a computer you know what each port is for without reading the manual (USB, Ethernet, HDMI, etc) when the industry mixes and matches connectors that's an issue IMO.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Do you think it makes any sense to buy A30Pro or A90 if I have RME ADI-2 DAC FS? :D
No, unless somehow you need more power, which seems highly unlikely.
Totally agree. Even on this forum people complain about the complexity of various amps/DACs (the ADI-2 comes to mind). A once through the manual will nearly always answer any questions.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't read. I need to be told. No, screamed at.

Anyways, aboot that compression driver amplification :D Would A90 be a good choice instead of this tiny little box?
If thermals are the issue, can I put it in the freezer? Or drill holes?
When do you open up for custom stuff?

Too much potential in your skills to let it go to waste on those headphone-people with damaged hearing.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Above a certain degree of complexity, even experienced users need to consult a manual sometimes with gear like DSPs and such. A good example the RME ADI-2 DAC - you can use it without reading the manual, but you won't be able to use some interesting options this way. Same goes for modern AVRs.

ninetylol

Exactly. Im a bit irritated by a lot people being angry for this product not having the features they want it to have. With this reasoning same people are angry that they bought a ferrari, when they actually wanted a Bugatti. Buy your Bugatti then, but dont blame an awesome product because you "dont like the ventilation holes" . Like what the Fuck. I dont get this rising negativity on the Internet the last few years.

jawbfl

USB yeah... 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 in "x" versions... Or HDMI 1.0, 2.0, 2.1, HDCP i've lost track of... ;)
Mostly backward compatible, but you still know what's what from a picture because there are conventions.
Not the case here, you see A30Pro photos you think A90, but it's an L30 with more ports.
To be clear I'm talking in general about people who don't do much research, for most people in ASR they know what's what, I just want more companies to be transparent like JDS, if you only do SE be upfront about it.

No you don't.
Yes I do.

Top Bottom