• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

respice finem

Major Contributor
Exactly. Im a bit irritated by a lot people being angry for this product not having the features they want it to have...
Which features are sometimes there, but using them would require RTFM. My "favorite" are folks who buy a potent AVR, put it into an "airtight" lowboard, and then whine around in the comments because of thermal shutoffs. So, well, you don't need to RTFM, but you sometimes should...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Mostly backward compatible, but you still know what's what from a picture because there are conventions.
Not the case here, you see A30Pro photos you think A90, but it's an L30 with more ports.
To be clear I'm talking in general about people who don't do much research, for most people in ASR they know what's what, I just want more companies to be transparent like JDS, if you only do SE be upfront about it.

Yes I do.
Think again. And actually read the thread. I don't want to argue.

Veri

Master Contributor
I just want more companies to be transparent like JDS, if you only do SE be upfront about it.
JDS literally doesn't do anything balanced. No 2.5mm, no 4.4mm, no XLR, nothing. Quite difference from the SP200/SH-9/A30 Pro example where there are connectors in front but no additional power output. Again, does that really matter though when the SMSL SP400 is truly balanced with less gain, and a bunch of people complaining SP200 is louder than it?

One should carefully read the power specs. That seems to be the most important.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Behind the A30 it says PRO. Pros use TRS jacks, XLR, sometimes RCA (when only present) and the A30Pro takes them all and also home audio used XLR and RCA. The TRS jacks on the rear are clearly marked Balanced and L and R.

Do you know if there is a reason TRS/XLR connectors aren't used more frequently? Is it just considered a 'pro' thing?

0216211112_copy_918x565.jpg

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Do you know if there is a reason TRS/XLR connectors aren't used more frequently? Is it just considered a 'pro' thing?

View attachment 112940
It's quite expensive and hard to get first of all. And it's been a conventional thing that combined connectors have preamp in them. And internally usually wired differently. TRS being Line in and XLR being Mic in. And TRS needs to be compatible to TS and that's for high impedance instrument input. The reason TRS is used much more widely is because it saves space, a lot of space. And when there's enough space why not just use XLR. Cables are cheap and easy to find.

jawbfl

JDS literally doesn't do anything balanced. No 2.5mm, no 4.4mm, no XLR, nothing. Quite difference from the SP200/SH-9/A30 Pro example where there are connectors in front but no additional power output. Again, does that really matter though when the SMSL SP400 is truly balanced with less gain, and a bunch of people complaining SP200 is louder than it?

One should carefully read the power specs. That seems to be the most important.

I don't see the point in having all these ports when the input/outputs are all SE that's simply my point, 4pin XLR should be L-L+R-R+ but this is wired LGRG AFAIK. Same goes for the back XLRs which are wired to the RCAs, the outputs are also wired directly to the inputs. I'm sure this is a great product I'm just annoyed by the bloat, waste and confusion. If I'm mistaken please correct me.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I don't see the point in having all these ports when the input/outputs are all SE that's simply my point, 4pin XLR should be L-L+R-R+ but this is wired LGRG AFAIK. Same goes for the back XLRs which are wired to the RCAs, the outputs are also wired directly to the inputs. I'm sure this is a great product I'm just annoyed by the bloat, waste and confusion. If I'm mistaken please correct me.
You are not making any sense. And you clearly have not read anything. Go read the thread. You have become the exact issue I was talking about. You are giving basically no respect to the people involved in designing the device.

jawbfl

You are not making any sense. And you clearly have not read anything. Go read the thread. You have become the exact issue I was talking about. You are giving basically no respect to the people involved in designing the device.

This is what Amir said:
NOTE: there is no pre-amp functionality here. The rear connectors are pass through for convenience. Also, the output is only unbalanced and connectors are there for convenience, not more power.

If I got something wrong please correct me, I mean no disrespect and I don't think I did, unlike your short comment "No you don't", criticizing products isn't disrespect to the designers in my book.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This is what Amir said:
NOTE: there is no pre-amp functionality here. The rear connectors are pass through for convenience. Also, the output is only unbalanced and connectors are there for convenience, not more power.

If I got something wrong please correct me, I mean no disrespect and I don't think I did, unlike your short comment "No you don't", criticizing products isn't disrespect to the designers in my book.
Read again.

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I for one will be happy being able to use my more luxurious 4,4mm cable. Thanks!

jawbfl

Read again.
Please point to my mistake, I have no intention of undermining you or Topping, is the 4XLR out balanced like in the Magnius or A90 for example? are the inputs balanced like those as well?

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Please point to my mistake, I have no intention of undermining you or Topping, is the 4XLR out balanced like in the Magnius or A90 for example? are the inputs balanced like those as well?
Mate, no ill intent, but your question is answered in the same post you quoted before. Its internally unbalanced, but you get more power like you could wish for (which is the only benefit of balanced anyway)

jannek

I'll try to sum things up:

- balanced XLR Input is true balanced --> no ground loops with XLR

- TRS Outputs are also true balanced, but only passthrough for convenience, no preamp function

- Passthrough works only when Input switch is set to "off", not at the same time with using the amp

- for this reason the TRS outputs don't double as inputs

- ground lift switch is for breaking ground loops with RCA inputs

- all Outputs on the front are internally SE, NOT balanced.

- The 4.4mm and 4 pin XLR are there for convenience and avoiding adapters when using balanced headphone cables

- power of all outputs is identical and more and cleaner than with most balanced amps.

Did I get everything right?

Last edited:

shmandles

Would it be safe to stack the E30 on top of the A30Pro since the E30 will cover some of the vents of the A30Pro?

jawbfl

Thanks @jannek that's actually very helpful, I was wrong about the 3pin XLR inputs being unbalanced they get transformed to SE. I was right about inputs though it's not balanced.

@ninetylol I wasn't discussing the power, all my questions were about ports and how confusing they are.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The XLR inputs are balanced. If you just spent one minute you could get that information in searching in this thread. I was asked many many times about the related questions. And Amir of course did a great job at adding the notice.

The input pass through function is very well implemented in variety of devices. Even the previous old A30 no pro and the A50(no s). As well as the THX 789 and 887. It's just a little clarification that was needed.

The headphone output sockets are wired together. XLR and 4.4mm have a bit better distortion performance in the development. And it's just so much more convenient when you have have headphones with different cables. Also some headphones come with 4.4mm cable so they can use that. This is done on many amplifiers before like Neurochrome HP-1, Benchmark HPA4, SMSL SP200, SH9, TCA HPA-1. Amir only said outputs are SE, he didn't mention inputs in that second sentence.

JDS you mentioned does not have any balanced products in the first place. You then said A30pro is L30 with more redundant INs and OUTs. This blew my mind. And this is where I sense the disrespect.

On to the USB HDMI etc. They are the exact opposite of a good example. I couldn't believe anyone who remembers the specification for each version and naming would say such thing. Hence I said you didn't. It's not like plugging in A30pro will make your headphones blow up. It's all compatible. And you get the every last bit of juice of the amp. I don't see any issue. If any it's better than actually differential signaling where you could use the wrong adapter and potentially damage the amp. The power is as much as THX 789 in true balanced output. So this is absolutely fine in any way you look at it. And I was being very transparent about it since the first couple of page. That's why I told you at least to read through the thread a bit. You can't just look at a device and know how it works internally. It never worked that way.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'll try to sum things up:

- balanced XLR Input is true balanced --> no ground loops with XLR

- TRS Outputs are also true balanced, but only passthrough for convenience, no preamp function

- Passthrough works only when Input switch is set to "off", not at the same time with using the amp

- for this reason the TRS outputs don't double as inputs

- ground lift switch is for breaking ground loops with RCA inputs

- all Outputs on the front are internally SE, NOT balanced.

- The 4.4mm and 4 pin XLR are there for convenience and avoiding adapters when using balanced headphone cables

- power of all outputs is identical and more and cleaner than with most balanced amps.

Did I get everything right?
Exactly.

jawbfl

The XLR inputs are balanced. If you just spent one minute you could get that information in searching in this thread. I was asked many many times about the related questions. And Amir of course did a great job at adding the notice.

The input pass through function is very well implemented in variety of devices. Even the previous old A30 no pro and the A50(no s). As well as the THX 789 and 887. It's just a little clarification that was needed.

The headphone output sockets are wired together. XLR and 4.4mm have a bit better distortion performance in the development. And it's just so much more convenient when you have have headphones with different cables. Also some headphones come with 4.4mm cable so they can use that. This is done on many amplifiers before like Neurochrome HP-1, Benchmark HPA4, SMSL SP200, SH9, TCA HPA-1. Amir only said outputs are SE, he didn't mention inputs in that second sentence.

JDS you mentioned does not have any balanced products in the first place. You then said A30pro is L30 with more redundant INs and OUTs. This blew my mind. And this is where I sense the disrespect.

On to the USB HDMI etc. They are the exact opposite of a good example. I couldn't believe anyone who remembers the specification for each version and naming would say such thing. Hence I said you didn't. It's not like plugging in A30pro will make your headphones blow up. It's all compatible. And you get the every last bit of juice of the amp. I don't see any issue. If any it's better than actually differential signaling where you could use the wrong adapter and potentially damage the amp. The power is as much as THX 789 in true balanced output. So this is absolutely fine in any way you look at it. And I was being very transparent about it since the first couple of page. That's why I told you at least to read through the thread a bit. You can't just look at a device and know how it works internally. It never worked that way.

Thanks, this is quite helpful.

I specified earlier that I know Topping isn't the only one doing SE in XLR and 4.4, I'm just not a fan of that, I'm sure some will find it useful but for me I used to associate those with balanced amps. Thus my point about JDS not bothering with XLR, I just find that clearer for consumers but each manufacturer makes his choices no disrespect. I take back my statement about L30 since this have balanced inputs and measures better.

If my point wasn't clear about computer ports, I wasn't talking about specs but usage, as I said I associate XLR and 4.4 with balanced systems so when I see it I expect the amp to be so, else it's a bit confusing and misleading, that's just my opinion and I respect your point of view about convenience.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks, this is quite helpful.

I specified earlier that I know Topping isn't the only one doing SE in XLR and 4.4, I'm just not a fan of that, I'm sure some will find it useful but for me I used to associate those with balanced amps. Thus my point about JDS not bothering with XLR, I just find that clearer for consumers but each manufacturer makes his choices no disrespect. I take back my statement about L30 since this have balanced inputs and measures better.

If my point wasn't clear about computer ports, I wasn't talking about specs but usage, as I said I associate XLR and 4.4 with balanced systems so when I see it I expect the amp to be so, else it's a bit confusing and misleading, that's just my opinion and I respect your point of view about convenience.
You don't lose anything thinking it's Balanced output tho. And in fact by definition it can be considered as Balanced. Balanced is defined as matched line impedance. In audio band it's indeed matched especially. That's why THX always call these balanced which to me is a little bit of stretch but technically correct.

Top Bottom