• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Top of the range Atmos soundbars - any experience?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you compare the Max with the smaller brother Ambeo Plus? The Max is too big for me, but i am considering the Plus for the TV and background music listening. I wonder how it compares to my current KH120 secondary setup for this use case (filling the whole room with background music, no fixed LP).
They did have the Plus setup as well a few meters from the Max. I only did a very quick listen (because the airplay got mixed up). I also wasn’t really in front of it properly. But it it was quite a big difference. I also think they didn’t have sub with the plus. So don’t read too much in it. For me, the plus wasn’t really a consideration, mainly because I think it’s just too small. In the end, you can’t beat physics… the price difference also wasn’t that large either after the discount.

In general though, I don’t think these products are a good idea for music without a fixed listening position. They do require you to sit mostly in front of it for good effect.

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
It’s a sound bar. With a bunch of small little drivers beaming sound reflections around the room. I have yet to hear one that sounded coherent and did not create a reflected sound jumble of incoherent noise. But, it can be a step up from just using the tv speakers.

As a compromise, would it be possible to use something that has wireless rear speakers? (Example linked)

i nominate myself to do these tests for soundbar as i know what to look for , listen for and feel for . wouldn't take me long evaluate them all

send me some soundbars i put them though an obstacle course , plus lot of direct and acoustical measurements

personally i would just get some JBL professional cinema pa speakers , used/second hand from ebay that will leave soundbars in the dust . that isn't what they use to mix or playback movies on at dub stage or cinema or some few home cinemas

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Sonos Arc and Sony HT-A9 are probably already well past the point of diminishing returns. The Ambeo and Devialet have some impressive features the lack of rear speakers limits their performance.

In any case, I would say that the best soundbar achieves a “C” for performance compared to a traditional HT system like Studio 530’s in a 4.1.0 setup. I say this as someone who has an Sonos Arc and Beam2 setup in the home.

Reliability is off the charts. HDMI CEC always works to a fault. Even if someone “accidentally” issues a HDMI CEC command to revert back to TV speakers, the Arc will reissue the HDMI CEC command to re-establish the connection.

The Arc with Stereo subs and Era300 rears probably be decent if you must have a sound bar. The subs crossover super high. Something like 125 or 150 Hz. So it is directional. Putting those subs lateral to the soundbar increases the width of the sound stage. The Era 300 should provide reasonable rear sound field and the matched upfiring drivers bring additional Atmos ambience.

Benefit of Sonos reliability and Atmos music. The Arc, Era 300, dual subs are silly expensive. But if the aesthetics of the room need white speakers, maximum convenience, it’s decent.

The Sony HT-A9 is better for even more irregular speaker localizations. These can easily be mounted to the wall. It is also silly expensive. Reliability of the wireless signal is unpredictable but seems to be a common complaint.

The Beam is used with a 32” TV from Samsung where the built in speakers are unintelligible. It just makes the speaker sound like a Sony Acoustic Surface. In other words, you get to the level of best in-built TV speaker. Adding the sub fleshes things out and you do get the Sonos ecosystem for music.

The Sub Gen 3 is very good. It’s clear it came from Velodyne’s lineage. It of course is silly expensive too.

Top Bottom