• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Top 5 streamer devices by ASR community

Shiva

So, from what I've gathered here, the Squeezebox Touch is still a very viable streaming solution compared to the latest offerings. My Touch which lasted about 12 years, died several years ago and have not replaced it as of yet. I loved both its touchscreen display and phone interface for all things streaming. Should I just get another off of Ebay, instead of a newer pi for instance?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Both are viable options - which is better will depend on your priorities. The Touch will probably cost you less and be simpler to deploy, but the Pi will be more versatile, such as adding DSP to the client end.

tw99

So, from what I've gathered here, the Squeezebox Touch is still a very viable streaming solution compared to the latest offerings. My Touch which lasted about 12 years, died several years ago and have not replaced it as of yet. I loved both its touchscreen display and phone interface for all things streaming. Should I just get another off of Ebay, instead of a newer pi for instance?

Unless you need the screen, I'd say just get a Pi. Or get a Pi with a screen... I still use my SBT, but will just go to a Pi if/when it dies. It's the whole LMS ecosystem that is the advantage, and that now works with all sorts of players.

Shiva

Hey Men, Thanks for the quick responses. Should I go for the Allo Boss2 that Amir recently reviewed or look for another option? The Squeezebox Touch on Ebay are going for somewhere between $100 to $150 bucks these days. Not bad for something I paid $200 for when they were sold new.

Last edited:

Shiva

Recently reaquired a Squeezebox Touch. Asked Amir if he wanted to test it and he'd like to do so.. Some questions I have are, will he be able to put it through it paces, not knowing its operation? If I do a factory reset and send it to him as such, will he be able to find a way to test its streaming capabilities and anything else he wants to test?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Recently reaquired a Squeezebox Touch. Asked Amir if he wanted to test it and he'd like to do so.. Some questions I have are, will he be able to put it through it paces, not knowing its operation? If I do a factory reset and send it to him as such, will he be able to find a way to test its streaming capabilities and anything else he wants to test?
It should 'just work' with Roon according to their FAQ, so testing should be similar to other streamers using Roon. It seems some capabilities may depend on the firmware version you have installed though.
https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en...do-i-use-roon-and-squeezebox-devices-together
Edit: Archimago measured it with lesser equipment a way back, so there's some indication of how it should be performing.
https://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/02/measurements-logitech-squeezebox-touch.html

Last edited:

Shiva

It should 'just work' with Roon according to their FAQ, so testing should be similar to other streamers using Roon. It seems some capabilities may depend on the firmware version you have installed though.
https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en...do-i-use-roon-and-squeezebox-devices-together
Edit: Archimago measured it with lesser equipment a way back, so there's some indication of how it should be performing.
https://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/02/measurements-logitech-squeezebox-touch.html

As far as the firmware version I have, when mine died, I still was using mysqueezebox.com and have not done anything with the lasted LMS install. I don't know if that will matter at all though for his testing and just send it to him as I got it?

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
As far as the firmware version I have, when mine died, I still was using mysqueezebox.com and have not done anything with the lasted LMS install. I don't know if that will matter at all though for his testing and just send it to him as I got it?
Looking closer it seems the only capability that depends on the firmware version is sending DSD to an external DAC as DoP, so I don't think it would affect the test results. Thanks for offering to send it in.

Kaushama

iFi Zen stream is a nice streamer using the Linux platform. It has the advantage of the ongoing software development and upgrades as it uses an open-source Volumio system.
It has most of iFi tech inbuilt and looks like an evolving product. I bought one and am waiting for it.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
iFi Zen stream is a nice streamer using the Linux platform. It has the advantage of the ongoing software development and upgrades as it uses an open-source Volumio system.
It has most of iFi tech inbuilt and looks like an evolving product. I bought one and am waiting for it.
Where's the repository for this ongoing development, or is it all behind closed doors? Their site's search turns up only a single mention of Volumio which isn't on their 'Partners' page, and GPL only comes up as a substring in 'analogplanet.com' review links. The open-source part of Volumio doesn't appear to support it as a target either. I would love to see more streamers with firmware open enough to be supported by the community when the manufacturer abandons it without requiring reverse engineering, but this doesn't seem to be one.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I was wondering if amir or someone else did a review of the Cambridge CXN V2.

I got mine yesterday and it sounds great but I would be interested how it compares to other DACs and streamers.

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was wondering if amir or someone else did a review of the Cambridge CXN V2.

I got mine yesterday and it sounds great but I would be ok interested how it compares to other DACs and streamers.

I don't see a review of the Cambridge CXN V2 with measurements. It uses the Wolfson WM8740 mid-grade DAC which is measured in this review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wm8740-dir9001-dac-board-review.10608/

On a value proposition, it's on the expensive side at $1099 for a streamer when Bluesound Node 2i is half the price OR a Raspberry Pi4 can do the same job for $100 with my computer and my favorite DAC. But if you love it that's all that matters.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor

It's quite easy to replicate a SBT with a Pi and touchscreen. I use a 5" touchscreen with piCorePlayer, a Pi 3A+ and a Justboom Digi Zero, with coax digital output to my RME DAC. Just about ideal for my needs.

6006CB10-AB07-4A1B-90E9-704AC6DE1F7B.jpeg

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I don't see a review of the Cambridge CXN V2 with measurements. It uses the Wolfson WM8740 mid-grade DAC which is measured in this review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wm8740-dir9001-dac-board-review.10608/

On a value proposition, it's on the expensive side at $1099 for a streamer when Bluesound Node 2i is half the price OR a Raspberry Pi4 can do the same job for $100 with my computer and my favorite DAC. But if you love it that's all that matters.

The bluesound measures pretty bad though. I would prefer real measurements. The implementation of the DAC and everything else is equally important.

But thanks

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on what I have read and the reviews here I just ordered a Allo Boss2. Sadly its not a black metal box so the Mrs will notice it when I put it on the shelf. That aside I've read that I can add a screen and do other things with which I like. I'm wondering about a DC transport can be connected via USB or some other method.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on what I have read and the reviews here I just ordered a Allo Boss2. Sadly its not a black metal box so the Mrs will notice it when I put it on the shelf. That aside I've read that I can add a screen and do other things with which I like. I'm wondering about a DC transport can be connected via USB or some other method.

Where did you order it? Every place I go says out of stock. Thanks!

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From Allo. I picked the 4gb.

MDM

DAC32 is very good. I feel sound is better than logitech Touch on analogue output or digital via marantaz amp. Also less dropped connections on wifi than Touch.
Very discreet.
Maybe they have just tweaked the sound to make it pleasing but I don't think so.
I think they are small company and working flat out to keep up with orders, especially with the new server. Sounds like the server is more complex but the dac32 streamer will run off any lms server

MrOtto

Edit first post, set up a vote, and add every streamer mentioned in the thread, so people can vote.

guy80

It's quite easy to replicate a SBT with a Pi and touchscreen. I use a 5" touchscreen with piCorePlayer, a Pi 3A+ and a Justboom Digi Zero, with coax digital output to my RME DAC. Just about ideal for my needs.

6006CB10-AB07-4A1B-90E9-704AC6DE1F7B.jpeg

I came across this when researching DIY RPI streaming solutions, thought it may be helpful in this thread, but I'm pretty new to all the RPI options (analysis paralysis and overwhelming) - Touchscreen Streamer with HiFiBerry OS & DAC for $150 - YouTube

Parts list in the video:
DeoxIT gold Mini-Brush Applicator
HiFiBerry OS
HiFiBerry Digi+ Standard
SmartiPi Touch 2 - Case
Raspberry Pi Official 7 Inch Touch Screen
Element14 Raspberry Pi 3 B+
PWR 5V Raspberry Pi Power Supply
MinimServer (DLNA UpNp Free Software)

Top Bottom