• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Assistance for new streamer & DAC

Thorpef1

Hi all.

I'm looking to step up my streamer game.
Currently I have volumio on a Pi4 out over USB to my Rotel RA-1592. But volumio is really frustrating me so time to move on.

My sources are
- Local FLAC files over USB ssd
- Spotify and Tidal over wifi
- Optical out from the tv

Within budget ($900 Australian) I'm considering:
- Bluesound node n130
- Cambridge audio mnx10
- Cambridge audio CXN (V1)
- Ifi zen streamer with schiit modi, topping e30 ii, topping e50/smsl/ anything else in this range.

I don't mind buying second hand if that gives better options and I have no problem with seperates if that also gives a better option than the all one node or CA devices.

In my head I'm leading towards the ifi (based off some really good reviews) but not too sure on the DAC, from what I read in this budget range they are all quite similar.

What are people's thoughts on this?

Thanks
Luke

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
Hi all.

Currently I have volumio on a Pi4 out over USB to my Rotel RA-1592. But volumio is really frustrating me so time to move on.

My sources are

- Bluesound node n130
- Cambridge audio mnx10
- Ifi zen streamer with schiit modi, topping e30 ii, topping e50/smsl/ anything else in this range.

I don't mind buying second hand if that gives better options and I have no problem with seperates if that also gives a better option than the all one node or CA devices.

In my head I'm leading towards the ifi (based off some really good reviews) but not too sure on the DAC, from what I read in this budget range they are all quite similar.

Thanks
Luke
Honestly you would be better off building your own pi streamer for about 30-50 and getting a better dac.

Pi2 designs, I believe that’s the company name, has some phenomenal pi hats which give great audio performance. I have a pi2aes for example and everything cost me about 250 and I believe that unit is discontinued but the company itself seems dedicated to making quality streamers/hardware

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all.

My sources are

- Bluesound node n130
- Cambridge audio mnx10

Thanks
Luke
Keep the Pi and install Dietpi. Then pick the apps you need.

OP
T

Thorpef1

Pi2 designs, I believe that’s the company name, has some phenomenal pi hats which give great audio performance. I have a pi2aes for example and everything cost me about 250 and I believe that unit is discontinued but the company itself seems dedicated to making quality streamers/hardware
Thanks for that, having a look at pi2 designs they only have the Pro which is $299US, after shipping to Australia this takes up 2/3 of the budget

Maybe the WiiM Pro.
Do you have this and how is the interface?
I don't see a USB port on there for local media which may be a deal breaker.
I feel this is my opportunity to move away from my hack diy and this would still be the bottom of the barrell

I haven't heard of Dietpi before, are there many people that are using it for a music streamer.

My biggest pain points at the moment are the volumio interface loosing connectivity (super frustrating) and sometimes if I switch between local media to streaming media it freezes or decides to play 2 tracks over the top of each other

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have three Bluesound devices the UI is good but rarely gets improved and each new device is an expensive proposition. Is Roon in Australia, give it a try. Many seem to be happy with WiiM Pro and use an Ethernet cable. WiFi can be problematic.

OP
T

Thorpef1

I have three Bluesound devices the UI is good but rarely gets improved and each new device is an expensive proposition. Is Roon in Australia, give it a try. Many seem to be happy with WiiM Pro and use an Ethernet cable. WiFi can be problematic.
If the bluesound just works that may be a good option. No need for updates If it isn't broken, and I'm not one to upgrade every time there is a new version

Roon is available, but I can't justify an additional subscription so that one is out the window.

On a quick look it doesn't seem the WiiM has the ability to play local storage over USB as the USB is for power. And ethernet isn't an option as my house isn't wired and the router is in the complete opposite corner of the house so hard to run a cable to it.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
my house isn't wired and the router is in the complete opposite corner of the house so hard to run a cable to it.
Are you sure that isn't part of your problem? If so may a mesh Access Point would help.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for that, having a look at pi2 designs they only have the Pro which is $299US, after shipping to Australia this takes up 2/3 of the budget

Do you have this and how is the interface?
I don't see a USB port on there for local media which may be a deal breaker.
I feel this is my opportunity to move away from my hack diy and this would still be the bottom of the barrell

I haven't heard of Dietpi before, are there many people that are using it for a music streamer.

My biggest pain points at the moment are the volumio interface loosing connectivity (super frustrating) and sometimes if I switch between local media to streaming media it freezes or decides to play 2 tracks over the top of each other

Dietpi is a small Linux build and has been well supported over the years. I only run 2 apps Shairport for Airplay 2 and ReadyMedia to access my NAS with all my flac files.

Did you mention what you were streaming from? Apple or Android?

Either way your phone apps make a world of difference. I use Plexamp even though I don’t use Plex for music. My NAS also has an app called Qmanager lastly I use mconnect. mconnect will also connect to my Apple Music but I rarely use it.

I’ve never had a connection issue or any issue for that matter.

Spending anything more than a couple hundred for a streamer is ludicrous in my mind.

OP
T

Thorpef1

Are you sure that isn't part of your problem? If so may a mesh Access Point would help.
I don't believe so.
There are plenty of other devices nearby with a strong signal.
And some of the issues that I have are more around processing / application based than network connectivity

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay that's all I got, but you need to think what are the weak links, software and UI, hardware and/or wifi connection. Its not clear to me but maybe others are understanding better. Good luck.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't believe so.
There are plenty of other devices nearby with a strong signal.
And some of the issues that I have are more around processing / application based than network connectivity
Are you using the PI4 wireless? If so do you have a dongle? The wifi is quite bad otherwise.

OP
T

Thorpef1

Fiio R7, if your budget can cover it.
The r7 is a few hundred over my budget, I did watch the Darko review and it looks great but this won't be a desk top device (it will sit on the shelf where I want to control via my phone rather than on the screen) so it feels a bit of a waste.
I also think it didn't have tidal connect so I would need to use the screen to use tidal

Did you mention what you were streaming from? Apple or Android?
Android user here and that is the main interface I'll be using.
What do you use plexamp, manager and mconnect for (what does each do in the chain)

Are you using the PI4 wireless? If so do you have a dongle? The wifi is quite bad otherwise.
Yes, I am using the onboard wireless, I'll go E a dongle a go as I have some spare at home

Megaken

I had an issue with pi/volumio losing connection but when I switched to a cable over WiFi it just works.

It's actually in a place where I can't physically pull the cable to, but an electrical outlet extender with an Ethernet out works perfectly.

OP
T

Thorpef1

I had an issue with pi/volumio losing connection but when I switched to a cable over WiFi it just works.

It's actually in a place where I can't physically pull the cable to, but an electrical outlet extender with an Ethernet out works perfectly.
I do have a powerline kit at home, I'll give this a go tonight when I get home and see if that fixes anything

Looking at those innuos they don't seem cheap,

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you use plexamp, manager and mconnect for (what does each do in the chain)
I’m iPhone and those are music apps that I can use to stream to my Pi.

Top Bottom