• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

THX Onyx Review (headphone adapter)

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But the Onyx is I think smaller and the USB-C cable is essentially permanently attached, which is a good thing in my opinion. Apart from the general good looks. I doubt audibility is a factor but I'm open to correction via the good ol' blind test.

For me (and others) the E1DA is a riskier purchase because there's no local dealer, I have to have it internationally shipped. If it breaks, I'm in trouble. Even assuming they'll replace it, it will cost quite a bit (time and money).

My original Onyx actually broke and I got a new one delivered quickly, so for what it's worth, local warranty mattered for me.

Veri

Master Contributor
For me (and others) the E1DA is a riskier purchase because there's no local dealer, I have to have it internationally shipped. If it breaks, I'm in trouble. Even assuming they'll replace it, it will cost quite a bit (time and money).
Mmm I wonder if @IVX has any info about failure rates. I estimate it will be very low actually, since these are not crazy mass produced like a THX Onyx is..

symphara

Mmm I wonder if @IVX has any info about failure rates. I estimate it will be very low actually, since these are not crazy mass produced like a THX Onyx is..
Strange, I would assume the reverse relationship between production size and failure rate. I know some people who work in the hifi gear selling business and they all tell me that boutique products are the most likely to break.

Veri

Master Contributor
Strange, I would assume the reverse relationship between production size and failure rate. I know some people who work in the hifi gear selling business and they all tell me that boutique products are the most likely to break.
Yes I see your concern, but I think there's a difference between niche boutique products, and small batches made with scrupulous care :p
I believe IVX thrashes all ESS chips he finds to not perform good enough. No way a mass produced dongle would ever get that treatment IMO

PeteL

Major Contributor
Yes I see your concern, but I think there's a difference between niche boutique products, and small batches made with scrupulous care :p
I believe IVX thrashes all ESS chips he finds to not perform good enough. No way a mass produced dongle would ever get that treatment IMO
You would think ESS would do that... If not it's a very sketchy chip manufacturer..

Veri

Master Contributor
You would think ESS would do that... If not it's a very sketchy chip manufacturer..
Sorry to get off-topic here but I mean he tests and selects the chips that meet his norms in real life performance and he thrashes the rest. Perhaps there are other manufacturers that won't sell produced devices that fall short of the target parameters but I wouldn't hold my breath.

And yes ESS is in fact a bit sketchy :p

staticV3

Master Contributor
IVX measures each 9038S and 9038D PCBA before final assembly. 3-5% of 9038Q2M chips have significantly higher noise than advertised. Those get replaced by hand, the PCBA is remeasured, then assembled and sold.

PeteL

Major Contributor
IVX measures each 9038S and 9038D PCBA before final assembly. 3-5% of 9038Q2M chips have significantly higher noise than advertised. Those get replaced by hand, the PCBA is remeasured, then assembled and sold.
Wow, that's crazy, It's normal to measure every item that leaves the shop and discard those not up to spec, but replacing DAC chips by hand is in no way good business practice, cost must be jumping through the roof. Grab those dongles while you can because it's simply not sustainable for a 130$ MSRP product.

symphara

Ok that’s fair.

When I got my Onyx I was just vaguely aware of the E1DA. The measurements do show great care in the production of this device. I have no doubt it’s a great DAC.

But honestly, I think the Onyx is good enough and I personally like the design a lot more.

On top of that, my daily now is a iFi Gryphon which has the power the bass EQ I want for my Aeons.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well yeah I think aesthetics/personal taste a hugely important too ;)
Lets face it- if the dongle chosen is able to deliver the required power cleanly for your desired SPL after EQ to any IEM/ headphones you might throw at it, after that all that is left is price , looks and build. Any of the well measuring dongles will be fit for most users so pick your poison. The edge cases will be those with either v sensitive IEMs and/ or insensitive current hungry planars where customers need to look carefully at requirements and specs.

If I was looking for another $100 ish dongle I would go for the 9038D again as to the best of my knowledge it is just about the best out there for power, noise and the bit of functionality the app brings. But I know the Onyx would sound no different. Nor, for that matter, would an apple dongle at 80/90% of the cost. But most of us here like nice things like you say. We just dont kid ourselves overly that it translates into sonic performance.

Veri

Master Contributor
But most of us here like nice things like you say. We just dont kid ourselves overly that it translates into sonic performance.
Looking at your signature... I can only nod in agreement :D

RoboEd

I got the Onyx yesterday and have had a good listen to it. I feel like people who dismiss it are too concerned with charts and graphs and not the sound of the unit.

It's also very portable; the length and softness of the cable, the way it tapers into the DAC, and the small size and light weight of the DAC make the whole thing feel like a part of the headphone cable almost - rather than a swinging weight.

symphara

I got the Onyx yesterday and have had a good listen to it. I feel like people who dismiss it are too concerned with charts and graphs and not the sound of the unit.

It's also very portable; the length and softness of the cable, the way it tapers into the DAC, and the small size and light weight of the DAC make the whole thing feel like a part of the headphone cable almost - rather than a swinging weight.
It's a lovely product. And it's unfair to compare it to the Apple dongle, it's far more powerful.

RiotOfSpring

Can anyone recommend a reliable adapter that would enable me to use this with an iPhone? I think I would need a female USB-C to Lightning cable (to accommodate the built-in male USB-C on the Onyx), but am having a hard time finding one that would work for transferring data and not just for charging.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Last edited:

ericafterdark

So how does it compare to the Astell&Kern AK HC2?

-edit-

There's even an HC3 now. Did not even notice that.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
To Astell&Kern, most everything compares favorably.
The HC2 however, has yet to be measured by an independent party, so no receipts unfortunately.

This bit is hilarious though:
Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 21.11.40.png

MGRMLN

Hello all,

Recently, my THX Onyx dongle just stopped being recognized by my MacBook Pro 16.
I plus it in and it basically is ignored by the computer and does not show up as a DAC or even a USB device at all.
Tidal, Roon and Apple Music do not see it either.
Any idea what is going on?

Thanks in advance!

Minsoo

Top Bottom