• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

THREAD DELETED

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't use mixing desk, there's only small desk so my keyboard and mouse fit, not even meter wide
I see. I saw some pictures and assumed they were yours.

I’ll have to go home and put my ear close and hear it.

I have enough difficultly getting the 83x1 aimed down enough even from where I sit. I had to actually take the metal wire out of the isopod a bit to tilt it down enough.

In fact the front edge of the monitor is not even on the round part of the isopod.

So I guess what i’m saying is try some different geometric configurations and see if you can resolve the issue.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for my ignorance; but why did Genelec not engineer around this issue, would the (already high) price be even higher?
I’m actually curious how these class d amps have so much self noise. I’ll check tonight. Maybe he needs to send them back for inspection? I’ve done the process before it’s not that painful. They come out pretty easily.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I can open them without loosing warranty? That's good news as I could put the filter inside and forget about it. Anyway they forwarded my case to R&D team with all my measurements, recordings and presets and we'll see what's the conclusion
No please don’t do anything without their authorization. Just call the service team in your country. But if it’s both units then I would suspect a design issue.

I’m just saying maybe it’s a faulty amplifier as it happened to me. In that case they had me remove them and ship them.

They even were nice enough to send me packaging materials and paid for return shipping.

If you call them they are likely to offer to check for you.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
48dB is incredible. I cannot even imagine it and i’m in house far from any highways. The main issue here is other people’s hvac condensers.

As I’ve said before I can get to 53dB if my hvac is off and the neighbors’ are also off. I could quadruple the felt lined curtains to get lower but as soon my own hvac kicks in just the register airflow makes it 62-63dB.

I would literally have to pre cool the space. It’s crazy how hard it is for me to even get to 53dB. 48dB is just not in the cards for me. Unless I totally cover the front windows with 244 panels but I won’t do that. The option for natural light is important to me.

HVAC systems definitely add a lot of noise. I'm fortunate in my space that when the HVAC is not running the ambient SPL is 41-45dB. I just did very quick test with it running and it was 48-51. Big difference!

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HVAC systems definitely add a lot of noise. I'm fortunate in my space that when the HVAC is not running the ambient SPL is 41-45dB. I just did very quick test with it running and it was 48-51. Big difference!
My condenser is 2 floors up but just the airflow is loud. I could have the upstairs vents trickle down but sound still carries

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My condenser is 2 floors up but just the airflow is loud. I could have the upstairs vents trickle down but sound still carries

After posting my previous comment, I remembered that when our house was being built and I first heard the AC in my listening room, it was way too loud. Fortunately the vents feeding the room were easily accessible, so the builder had the HVAC contractor replace the rigid ductwork with flexible foil accordion style ductwork. That greatly reduced the noise produced by the airflow. But I still remember how loud it was before they did that, and there are one or two other places in the house where the airflow is somewhat loud from the rigid ductwork.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After posting my previous comment, I remembered that when our house was being built and I first heard the AC in my listening room, it was way too loud. Fortunately the vents feeding the room were easily accessible, so the builder had the HVAC contractor replace the rigid ductwork with flexible foil accordion style ductwork. That greatly reduced the noise produced by the airflow. But I still remember how loud it was before they did that, and there are one or two other places in the house where the airflow is somewhat loud from the rigid ductwork.
I have the accordion type but the airflow is just crazy. If I close the vents above me then it whistles. The air pressure is just too high.

I think they oversized the blowers. I can do things to block it and let the other further vents take over. But i’m in the middle of a very hot summer and I think this problem will solve itself soon.

I could get on a ladder and close them and apply some blu tack to hopefully keep it from vibrating or even more extreme measures. Also I found out the hard way my registers are not magnetic.

But yes you did a good thing discussing that with your HVAC contractor. It’s one of the biggest challenges in building a studio as I understand it.

To do it fully custom would probably involve sending the air through the sides near the ceiling with some acoustic panels acting as a baffle.

Good airflow is good but it needs a lot more vent area to be quiet.

Last edited:

Sebastiaan de Vries

I don’t know if this applies to the W371A and if applicable to your situation (or maybe you are already doing it), but let me share my noise experience with the 8351B

By default (even) the 8351B’s was a tad noisier than I would desire. Yet I discovered that the noise comes from the analog input stage and ADC circuit. Feeding them digitally with AES/EBU AND switching off the analog inputs in GLM (from memory, I believe this is a must, else the analog input noise still got summed)

Ever since this configuration/setup, they are dead silent, even with my ear close to the tweeter.

If possible, try this, and switch off the analog input on GLM.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t know if this applies to the W371A and if applicable to your situation (or maybe you are already doing it), but let me share my noise experience with the 8351B

By default (even) the 8351B’s was a tad noisier than I would desire. Yet I discovered that the noise comes from the analog input stage and ADC circuit. Feeding them digitally with AES/EBU AND switching off the analog inputs in GLM (from memory, I believe this is a must, else the analog input noise still got summed)

Ever since this configuration/setup, they are dead silent, even with my ear close to the tweeter.

If possible, try this, and switch off the analog input on GLM.

Wait - you can disable the analogue inputs? Do you recall where the setting for that is in GLM? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Sebastiaan de Vries

Wait - you can disabl the analogue inputs? Do you recall where the setting for that is in GLM? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!
Yes, you can. The primary reason I did it was that the open inputs picked up noise and prevented the 8351B from going on Standby.

Uncheck the “Analog Input” and select the channel (A or B) for your AES input. In my case, not only did it fix my standby issue, but the noise went down to inaudible. Asides from my previous Benchmark AHB2 setup, it’s the most silent system I’ve ever owned in this configuration.

Attachments

• IMG_0269.jpeg
    IMG_0269.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Sebastiaan de Vries

that' only available when you specify analog or automatic input as a mai source (look on the left at input mode) , it's blanked out with digital in and turned off anyway
I think we are saying the same. In my setup for whatever reason it was on, picked up noise and made GLM think there is signal, therefor didn’t go on standby. Rightly configured it works well and there is no audible noise.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, you can. The primary reason I did it was that the open inputs picked up noise and prevented the 8351B from going on Standby.

Uncheck the “Analog Input” and select the channel (A or B) for your AES input. In my case, not only did it fix my standby issue, but the noise went down to inaudible. Asides from my previous Benchmark AHB2 setup, it’s the most silent system I’ve ever owned in this configuration.

Thanks! I realized why I was having trouble understanding what you were referring to - like @cyjanopan , my analogue input was already disabled during the initial setup process, and checking the analogue input box now, it's blanked out/disabled and cannot be toggled.

Even with analogue input disabled, I still can hear self-noise from my 8351s. But perhaps it's lower level than what you were experiencing with your analogue inputs enabled? I just did a slightly more controlled test than I've done before, and to hear the noise of mine, I have to get within 3 feet of them, bend down to put my head level with the drivers, and turn my head sideways so my ear is directly facing the drivers. When air is flowing through the HVAC vent in my room, then I have to get closer to the speakers to discern their self-noise. But mine have clear self-noise if I put my ear right next to the tweeter as you have described.

Last edited:

Sebastiaan de Vries

Thanks! I realized why I was having trouble understanding what you were referring to - like @cyjanopan, my analogue input was already disabled during the initial setup process, and checking the analogue input box now, it's blanked out/disabled and cannot be toggled.

Even with analogue input disabled, I still can hear self-noise from my 8351s. But perhaps it's lower level than what you were experiencing with your analogue inputs enabled? I just did a slightly more controlled test than I've done before, and to hear the noise of mine, I have to get within 3 feet of them, bend down to put my head level with the drivers, and turn my head sideways so my ear is directly facing the drivers. When air is flowing through the HVAC vent in my room, then I have to get within a few inches of the speakers to discern their self-noise. But mine have clear self-noise if I put my ear right next to the tweeter as to have described.
Sorry for the confusion. I just tested the noise level again. Yes, if I shut all the doors and turn off all fans, I can hear a slight hiss it I come very close. But it’s low in level, and in my case, the environmental noise still dominates. I fully understand in a control room, you enjoy a dead silent room, and it is more audible.

Admittedly the Kii audios are the most silent monitors I can think of. But no surprise with its legendary designer

The first image is my environmental noise. Second in front of the tweeter few inches away.

Attachments

• IMG_0273.jpeg
    IMG_0273.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0272.jpeg
    IMG_0272.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 136

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for the confusion. I just tested the noise level again. Yes, if I shut all the doors and turn off all fans, I can hear a slight hiss it I come very close. But it’s low in level, and in my case, the environmental noise still dominates. I fully understand in a control room, you enjoy a dead silent room, and it is more audible.

Admittedly the Kii audios are the most silent monitors I can think of. But no surprise with its legendary designer

The first image is my environmental noise. Second in front of the tweeter few inches away.

Thanks! I don't have a control room, just a residential listening room - but it's a finished space in the basement with double drywall and only one small window in the far corner, so it's a little quieter than average. But my ambient noise is still a little higher than what your SPL meter shows - about 41dB when no air is blowing and doors are closed etc. The noise you say you hear seems very similar to what I hear - and consistent with Genelec's 5dBA spec.

Hello @cyjanopan being interested by the w371a did they solved your issue at the end ? I have 8361a and I can hear the hiss. More than I have with the 8361 will be an issue for me.
Thanks my friend :)

cEbNVDyfMy

Forum Donor

How/where did you get those genelec stands in white?

Top Bottom