• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

THREAD DELETED

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You know it is possible to make entirely silent active speakers?
But if you find the noise acceptable then yes it is your fault lack of due diligence.

Keith

Sokel

Master Contributor
The big question here,that may help other people too is are all like this or only your pair?
Genelec says it's in the design but wouldn't we have heard about it all this time?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there anything very special about this subwoofer different from other subwoofers?

Maybe an NCore based from Sigberg would have a way lower noise floor.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another stupid thought maybe, but what about facing then backwards? Bass is omnidirectional but the mid hiss is not. Even if the cushion is still necessary, at least you don't have to see it lol.

But yes, ideally the amp modules within would have to be replaced to better ones. Not sure Genelec would do this for a single customer...

Sokel

Master Contributor
it's not really a subwoofer, so yes, rather special
That's the thing I like most about it,that is a true woofer and not the usual sub+satellites often leaving a desire for true midbass.
And it's a pity that something that looks trivial to avoid is happening.

A filter doesn't seem the worst idea in the world after all,and you can make it even higher as the frequency range of interest is quite high (and where our hearing starts being very sensitive) .

Curvature

Major Contributor
5dBA SPL at 1m becomes 0dBA at 1.8m.
15dBA SPL at 1m becomes 0dBA at 5.6m. The calculation I did, the noise specs Genelec provides online. I've never paid attention to them before since no one has ever complained. They are right there though, openly disclosed. It is a failure on our side not to appreciate or discuss them.

@cyjanopan You won't be able to fix noise with a digital filter. The speakers are functioning properly.

This is the W371A bandwidth. Don't set a filter that will mess with the upper range or you will ruin the integration with the 8351B.
1691237210569.png

The best thing all of us can do is contact Genelec and tell them 15dBA noise at 1m ruins the W371A product for many small spaces and people. @Thomas Lund @Ilkka Rissanen

Like I said above, a digital filter will do nothing. This is an analog problem. Perhaps you may be able to lower input gain inside GLM. Using volume control further down the signal chain will do nothing.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
5dBA SPL at 1m becomes 0dBA at 1.8m.
15dBA SPL at 1m becomes 0dBA at 5.6m. The calculation I did, the noise specs Genelec provides online. I've never paid attention to them before since no one has ever complained. They are right there though, openly disclosed. It is a failure on our side not to appreciate or discuss them.

@cyjanopan You won't be able to fix noise with a digital filter. The speakers are functioning properly.

This is the W371A bandwidth. Don't set a filter that will mess with the upper range or you will ruin the integration with the 8351B.
View attachment 303597

The best thing all of us can do is contact Genelec and tell them 15dBA noise at 1m ruins the W371A product for many small spaces and people. @Thomas Lund @Ilkka Rissanen

Like I said above, a digital filter will do nothing. This is an analog problem. Perhaps you may be able to lower input gain inside GLM. Using volume control further down the signal chain will do nothing.
I'm confused. Isn't 8030c rated for 5dbA at 1m yet there are quite a few people complaining about the noise? If it's at all comparable, 15dba sounds like a total nighmare.

Curvature

Major Contributor
I'm confused. Isn't 8030c rated for 5dbA at 1m yet there are quite a few people complaining about the noise? If it's at all comparable, 15dba sounds like a total nighmare.
Hiss is loud because it's usually in the kHz range, where most rooms are very quiet. Room noise tends to be at lower frequencies. Listening with the speakers at your desk is usually under 1m, so the 5dBA figure grows.

Lots of people don't care about hiss. At some point I jumped ship and couldn't stand it anymore.

Curvature

Major Contributor
I have a problem with understanding where you got the idea that I want to use the digital filter? Original post is quite self explanatory
How will you implement the LPF? With analog or digital EQ?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the UK one has thirty days to return items for a full refund if you deem them not fit for purpose.
Keith

Online returns [in UK & EU]​

If the item was bought online, over the phone or by mail order, as a customer you have consumer returns rights under the Consumer Contracts Regulations.

The Consumer Contracts Regulations give you a cancellation period that starts the moment you place your order and ends 14 days from the day you receive your goods.

You then have a further 14 days from the date you notify the retailer that you'd like to cancel your order to return the goods.

We've put together advice on the additional consumer returns rights you have when purchasing goods online in our guide to online returns.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Curvature

Major Contributor
Jeez, of course it will work because IT WILL BE AFTER THE AMP, AT THE SPEAKER INPUT, just like any other passive crossover, that wasn't the question IF it will work but about the downsides that I didn't consider
The block diagram for the W371A is input signal -> gain/DSP -> amp -> driver. Putting a filter before the input does not address the source of the noise.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Jeez, of course it will work because IT WILL BE AFTER THE AMP, AT THE SPEAKER INPUT, just like any other passive crossover, that wasn't the question IF it will work but about the downsides that I didn't consider
The main and only downside is the warranty breaking on a not so cheap equipment. If I were you I will live with pillows for the first couple of years. Print your company logo on the pillow to jazz it up. ;)

Curvature

Major Contributor
Once again you assume something I never even considered, I want to put the filter AFTER THE AMP - AT THE SPEAKER, not at the input, I want to unscrew the driver and put the filter there, I don't know how to explain it more clear to you...
Right. Good luck with that.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually I need to check on what basis the warranty would be broken, I can open the box I bought though and this would be completely non destructive, especially if the driver is not soldered
“No user serviceable parts inside” line will be the first to check.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Curvature

Major Contributor
Why does @cyjanopan needs luck? Do you need luck to create a passive filter?
Are you fully confident that putting an LPF before a driver inside a readymade active design will not screw it up?

Do you know enough about active speaker design to have a worthwhile opinion? I don't.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you fully confident that putting an LPF before a driver inside a readymade active design will not screw it up?

Do you know enough about active speaker design to have a worthwhile opinion? I don't.
He said that he knows his way around speakers, you are saying you don’t know but for some reason implying that he will fail.

Top Bottom