• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This hobby is ridiculous.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm currently a glass of wine down. Posh fish and chips are arriving imminently. And the music is sounding amazing.

I love Friday nights. Even though I'm retired :p

egellings

Major Contributor
For an investment of somewhere between several hundred and several thousand dollars, I can enjoy more or less any recorded work in the history of mankind at a level of fidelity that is within a stone's throw of perfection. That is insane.

Admittedly, I am a few beers in right now.

But gosh darn it (pardon my french) this is a remarkable hobby.

I appreciate all of you, and particularly the folks that make it happen --by playing music, by serving as audio engineers, by serving as informed consumers who steer the industry in the right direction, as folks who appreciate the hell out of music performances, and as people who spend their time and money tirelessly reviewing audio products so that the rest of us may enjoy our music.
A few beers? As required, as required! I am surprised how good relatively cheap electronics can sound these days. I think that's harder to do with speakers, though.

egellings

Major Contributor
Sounds great... I'm in, once I make it home.

Why not change the title to "the drunk audio thread"? The thread to post in about your audio system whilst pissed... could be quite a laugh. :cool:

JSmith
I enjoy good audio with a nice beer and a copy of Modern Drunkard Magazine in hand. (Yes! That magazine exists!).

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Streaming and cheap DACs, amplifiers, or powered speakers can turn upscale enjoyment into fast food consumption. Any piece of music is readily available, but audiophile culture suffers. The hobby is in tatters.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In vino, veritas!

Totally agree. For a couple grand ($650 adjusted to 40 years ago) you can get a headphone setup with levels of noise and distortion that would not have been available at any price back then. And you can tweak the sound with DSP that would have cost tens of thousands in a recording studio back then. Kings, queens, or billionaires could not get what we have on our desks today.

What was even more unthinkable then, in some states, you can walk down the street and legally buy not only beer, but weapons-grade cannabis to enhance your listening experience with. o_O

We are really living in the audio utopia envisioned by our forebears. :D

DonR

Major Contributor
For an investment of somewhere between several hundred and several thousand dollars, I can enjoy more or less any recorded work in the history of mankind at a level of fidelity that is within a stone's throw of perfection.
Well... that really depends on the size of the stone and the ability of the thrower. ;)

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that I have reliable internet and streaming is a thing I can do I love the rabbit holes of exploring music beyond my personal media collection. Over 30 years in the hobby so the sound toys are acceptable and augmenting perceptions with a little whiskey and occasional puff is deliriously fun. Like now for instance. The playlist Tidal is curating after listening to The Trinity Sessions from the Cowboy Junkies is really nice and technology only dreamed of back in my "making mix tapes" days with cassettes.

You guys are mostly a great bunch too, ASR is one of the few sites I frequent much anymore. Cheers!

Top Bottom