• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This hobby is ridiculous.

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For an investment of somewhere between several hundred and several thousand dollars, I can enjoy more or less any recorded work in the history of mankind at a level of fidelity that is within a stone's throw of perfection. That is insane.

Admittedly, I am a few beers in right now.

But gosh darn it (pardon my french) this is a remarkable hobby.

I appreciate all of you, and particularly the folks that make it happen --by playing music, by serving as audio engineers, by serving as informed consumers who steer the industry in the right direction, as folks who appreciate the hell out of music performances, and as people who spend their time and money tirelessly reviewing audio products so that the rest of us may enjoy our music.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
how blasted are you?

i think we see that in many things we enjoy we can see where we are among where the technology improves

with digital audio, where else can we go?

a people have shown you can get a dac amp and set of speakers for very low amounts of money that would be unthinkable a decade or so ago

Aerith Gainsborough

I can enjoy more or less any recorded work in the history of mankind at a level of fidelity that is within a stone's throw of perfection. That is insane.
It really is a lovely technology.
Especially the "recording" part, if you think about what you would need to do in order to be able to listen to live performances.

Unless you have a private orchestra/performers, stuff like "listening to music while having breakfast" would be quite impossible.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

The OP, regardless of his level of sobriety or inebriety ;), is right. I have been a music lover who's been in this hobby for a very long time. ASR as a forum (there may be others, would be interesting to know which ones), has done a spectacular and, so needed job showing to the public that great fidelity at home or wherever you are! at sane cost was possible. Thanks to ASR and (the few) similar fora, we know now that $60.oo brings you SOTA HiFi (TCZ IEM+ Apple Dongle or its Android equivalent) or that past $100 for a DAC one is buying features not performance (Actually past $9.95 :D, but ... ) or ...
We are living , very interesting times. The next step would be, easier and more convenient Rooms Correction systems: After a couple of years of using DSP in my room, the results are good but ultimate fidelity remains elusive, with current methods, wares, software, etc: We are still at the point where immense level of knowledge and research, are still required for sometimes, barely "good enough" results.

Peace.

Last edited:

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Best post, completely agree. Streaming through my phone to dirt cheap IEMs via a dongle. Cheap booze as well, probably lower fidelity though!

Plcamp

Matching booze to music might be interesting.

I have noticed that Jack Daniels goes well with Stevie Ray Vaughan.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Group hug?
+1

Don’t get carried away Mate!

A group hug would be logistically impossible ;)
94691477_3393115007382725_8484157231196012544_n.jpg

aedagnino

For an investment of somewhere between several hundred and several thousand dollars, I can enjoy more or less any recorded work in the history of mankind at a level of fidelity that is within a stone's throw of perfection. That is insane.

Admittedly, I am a few beers in right now.

But gosh darn it (pardon my french) this is a remarkable hobby.

I appreciate all of you, and particularly the folks that make it happen --by playing music, by serving as audio engineers, by serving as informed consumers who steer the industry in the right direction, as folks who appreciate the hell out of music performances, and as people who spend their time and money tirelessly reviewing audio products so that the rest of us may enjoy our music.
+1000
Absolutely true. And I haven't had a drop of alcohol or altered my senses artificially in nearly 15 years.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Unless you have a private orchestra/performers, stuff like "listening to music while having breakfast" would be quite impossible.
There are exceptions: We often go to the Festspielhaus Hellerau in Dresden (Germany) where there is an event format called 'Composers for Breakfast'. There, contemporary composers are introduced personally and an ensemble plays pieces from them. There is breakfast served and usually a small circle of insiders is present.

index.php

Top Bottom