• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not quite sure what to say, the fact that people can write stuff like that audio bacon nonsense or the magnetic cable idiocy and that presumably there are people who take it seriously is really rather depressing. And audiophiles wonder why normal people dismiss the hobby as a joke.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
And audiophiles wonder why normal people dismiss the hobby as a joke.
Because so many audiophiles mistakenly accept these jokes for their hobby.:facepalm:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Because so many audiophiles mistakenly accept these jokes for their hobby.:facepalm:

Everyone wants/needs to feel special. For those who have invested in this audiophool realm, it is a world beyond mundane things like physics and engineering, that only the privileged few even have remote access to by spending mountains of gold on...and even then, it isn't like once you've spent it you're 'golden'...oh no...IT NEVER ENDS! (Like that sentence!).

They have their own language, so why not their own math and science too? I'm happy to remain one of the unwashed masses.

I grew up in a cult...no interest in anything that tries to prevent me from using my own internal ability to reason, while requiring a ludicrous amount of money to be a part of.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Further proof we know nothing... Please watch the videos ..

http://highfidelitycables.com/
I'd feel so much better if I knew my signals were traveling in that tight, organized stream.

"the best sounding cables I've ever heard". Well that one may be truthful and get past the litigation team.

There are so many galileos in the world, gamely resisting us Roman inquisitors.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Further proof we know nothing... Please watch the videos ..

http://highfidelitycables.com/
I have a serious concern that I didn't see addressed there.

What happens immediately after the electron stream passes out of the control of the magnetic fields? Isn't it extremely likely that the sudden chaos going into the speaker connectors, for example, would cause an electrical equivalent of cavitation?

If we can't maintain that perfect, focused electron flow from source to speaker transducer, it seems to me it might be less disruptive overall to the musical signal to simply allow the normal semi-chaotic flow all the way through, using conventional wire/cables.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a serious concern that I didn't see addressed there.

What happens immediately after the electron stream passes out of the control of the magnetic fields? Isn't it extremely likely that the sudden chaos going into the speaker connectors, for example, would cause an electrical equivalent of cavitation?

If we can't maintain that perfect, focused electron flow from source to speaker transducer, it seems to me it might be less disruptive overall to the musical signal to simply allow the normal semi-chaotic flow all the way through, using conventional wire/cables.
Indeed. Better magnetize the wire all the way to the driver magnets...oh

ajawamnet

IME PhDs tend to be worse at "knowing everything" but OTOH I have been accused of the same attitude. Sometimes I get tired of defending engineering 101 and say to just look it up, or of trying to figure out how to explain something it took years to learn in a sentence somebody with no background can understand when they've made up their mind the science is wrong. And I have known some really great PhDs, and engineers, and grocery clerks -- but some people just seem to live mad all the time.

That said there are know-it-alls in every profession; about the worst I knew was an uncle who was a great guy but quite prepared to expound upon anything and everything, including engineering. He was a realtor, and a very successful one, but his understanding of thermodynamics was more limited than he would lead you to believe. He was absolutely convinced 300 mpg carburetors were readily available and the oil companies were suppressing the technology. Trying to explain why it was not physically practical, let alone that any car manufacturer who had such a thing would have a huge jump on the competition and not hesitate to release it, fell on deaf ears because he "knew" how it worked.

I work with a PhD in physics from Purdue - Dr. Rob Rice. He's quoted on my marketturd "Mama, I Wanna Be a Maker" rant...

His favorite thing to say is, "I don't know..."

The guy's sharp as hell; will give you incredible details of what you asked, but will always preface with an "I don't know..."

I asked if the whole quantum mechanics thing is the reason he's intrepid to give answers off the cuff (he's a particle physicist-turned low-level coder) ...

"Well, maybe..."

Last edited:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Well that one may be truthful and get past the litigation team.

Did their attorneys really understand "discovery"? Were they actually trying to intimidate folks from conducting a refereed DBT and publishing that they found nothing

ajawamnet

Tapping was taught in junior high metal shop class. Did you use a different process for yours?

I learned about Swiss screw machines (external threads) almost by accident. The shop next door to my company ran several of them and showed me how the process worked. Very cool technology.

Yea it was an internal thread for a mic stand adapter that's a 5/8-27 thread. So I had to use my lathe to single point thread it.

I recently got an ELS to replace all the gears. And get this - to sort of go back on subject of cables - so I could wrap nichrome wire at a specific pitch.

All to make it sound better (not really)...

ajawamnet

From my AXPONA review a couple years ago:

At High Fidelity Cables, the inventor of their special magnetic cables put on an entire show with explanations of how conductivity works that would come as a surprise to anyone with a physics background. The talk and Q&A afterward emphasized that the investors were aggressive litigation attorneys, so I'll merely quote from my conversation about the MC-0.5. "We call this 'the Skepticism Eliminator.' Plug it into the wall socket and it reduces noise in all of the other circuits in the room." I asked the obvious question, "OK, so if I attach a spectrum analyzer to this wall socket, then plug the MC-0.5 into another socket, I'll see the noise spectrum reduce in amplitude?" This was also not the right question to ask, apparently, because there's noise that we can hear but not measure. I was told again about their investors being litigation attorneys.

You should have Bob Widlar (inventor of the monolithic opamp and various other analog stuff we use today) with you when you asked that.

Bob Widlar:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Widlar

Read his story... and the stuff that Bob Pease (Nat Semi) and Jim Williams (Linear Tech) talk about... he was nutz - but in a good way

He had a thing called the the Hassler Circuit
https://www.autodesk.com/products/eagle/blog/bob-widlar-life-engineering-legend/
hassler_pcb.jpg

When someone came into Bob’s office to hassle him and started talking loudly, the device would detect the audio, convert it into a high frequency, and playback the converted sound.

Here's what he said when they told him that the company should concentrate on logic ICs:

iD45mJT8_400x400.jpg

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Translation: "you aren't a believer"... Let them believe hearing something that doesn't exist.

A new interesting topic on Audioholics:

I do value a lot of what the Audioholics produce.

But it always amazes me how these guys who are not only audiophiles but engineers, continue to produce some of the worst quality video and audio on youtube! I mean, the average no-nothing blogger with a cell phone seems to produce good video and audio quality more often than this crew.

ajawamnet

But it always amazes me how these guys who are not only audiophiles but engineers, continue to produce some of the worst quality video and audio on youtube! I mean, the average no-nothing blogger with a cell phone seems to produce good video and audio quality more often than this crew.

That's because Youboob or the host of their audio/video doesn't use those fancy ass power cords at their server farm...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I work with a PhD in physics from Perdue - Dr. Rob Rice. He's quoted on my marketturd "Mama, I Wanna Be a Maker" rant...

His favorite thing to say is, "I don't know..."

The guy's sharp as hell; will give you incredible details of what you asked, but will always preface with an "I don't know..."

I asked if the whole quantum mechanics thing is the reason he's intrepid to give answers off the cuff (he's a particle physicist-turned low-level coder) ...

"Well, maybe..."

As I said, plenty of great ones out there... I find it true in engineering/science and musicians, probably carries over to every field, that those who really know what they know also understand what they do not. It seems to be the layer below the top and often fresh out of school crowd where the "I know more than you about everything" types congregate. I am certainly guilty of that now and then.

Bob Widlar was quite a character and he was not shy about speaking his mind in the most colorful (just to avoid the word "crass") way. And, losing Bob P and Jim W so close together was a huge blow to analog guys everywhere. I met but never worked with Widlar, only ran into Bob Pease a few times, and spent just a little time with Jim Williams when we worked at the same company (but in different parts of the country). It was pretty intimidating having them sit in on a design review! My career took a different (higher-speed) path but I ran into them at the annual Dinosaur's Meeting at ISSCC and such. Didn't really know me from Adam but were always funny and inclusive guys.

ajawamnet

As I said, plenty of great ones out there... I find it true in engineering/science and musicians, probably carries over to every field, that those who really know what they know also understand what they do not. It seems to be the layer below the top and often fresh out of school crowd where the "I know more than you about everything" types congregate. I am certainly guilty of that now and then.

Bob Widlar was quite a character and he was not shy about speaking his mind in the most colorful (just to avoid the word "crass") way. And, losing Bob P and Jim W so close together was a huge blow to analog guys everywhere. I met but never worked with Widlar, only ran into Bob Pease a few times, and spent just a little time with Jim Williams when we worked at the same company (but in different parts of the country). It was pretty intimidating having them sit in on a design review! My career took a different (higher-speed) path but I ran into them at the annual Dinosaur's Meeting at ISSCC and such. Didn't really know me from Adam but were always funny and inclusive guys.

That must have been great working with him. I had the pleasure of having Alan Rich of LT come by when I was doing that IoT thing back in 1995. I was using one of their buck-boosts and he stopped by with a hand made full prototype and all kindsa documentation from Jim.

I do recall seeing pics of Jim's workbench:
jim-williams-workbench.jpg

Someone from LT mentioned that it kept other engineers from borrowing any of his gear and test leads.

I recall the story about Jim Williams' funeral and Bob Pease getting into that fatal auto accident coming from Jim's memorial...

One story of Pease I recall is when someone I work with called Nat Semi and asked about some part and some weird issue he was having in production. He mentioned that the earlier versions of the part seemed to behave a bit different; I think it was Bob that mentioned they didn't have guys with wizards hats in the back - more that if it seemed like a good idea they'd give it whirl.

I mentioned that I thought Bob was the wizard ... he had the beard.

20110622-National-Semiconductor-Bob-Pease-250x350.jpg

invaderzim

He always defends the bad audio by saying it is the software that allows him to share his screen in real-time that makes the audio quality so poor. There has to be other options that would allow better sound quality but when people push that he tells them to sponsor him on patreon so he can get better stuff. But then we hear about this home theater setup and that other home theater setup in his house with all the stuff in them and I stop feeling the need to finance better equipment for him and instead focus on it for me.

This is one of the worst quality ones he's had, it is hard to listen to at times.

It wouldn't work for the live feeds like this but I have no idea why he doesn't record the audio separately if he's going to do the show in one shot and just sync it up in editing.

The video in this one is some of the worst he's had and even a basic HD webcam should do better than that.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
only ran into Bob Pease a few times, and spent just a little time with Jim Williams

I knew Bob and Jim as friends over many years especially Jim. I knew Jim at MIT in 1970 or so, they both had their eccentricities which make everyone different and special. Jim's collection of antique instruments was spectacular to see it first hand was something special, I have no idea what happened to it.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it true in engineering/science and musicians, probably carries over to every field, that those who really know what they know also understand what they do not.
Recent research into Duning Kruger Syndrome reveals that people of average or lower intelligence are less likely to be able to recognize their own intellectual weaknesses and limitations as compared to those of higher intelligence.

Without going into poltics, I find it fascinating that Donald trump claims to be very, very smart, and more knowledgeable than the real experts in many fields. I have no clue as to whether or not that is related to his narcissism, or whether it is a manifestation of Duning Kruger Syndrome.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Without going into poltics, I find it fascinating that Donald trump claims to be very, very smart, and more knowledgeable than the real experts in many fields. I have no clue as to whether or not that is related to his narcissism, or whether it is a manifestation of Duning Kruger Syndrome.

Branding.

Top Bottom