• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The grey area is only there because you need it to be in order to have any chance of actually answering the questions.:) I have a hard time believing that you didn’t understand the full context of my questions. If you had read my post just prior to the one you answered, it should’ve been absolutely clear as to what I was asking and in which context.

Regarding your first reply, I can point you to experts in any field that will back virtually any claim no matter how perposterous. What if the experts conclusions are not supported by established science? Is it “knowledge” if it’s neither demonstrable nor backed by science? The doctor example you gave sounds like a terrible way to go about determining what to accept/reject. In your example, replace the word doctor with any number of EE’s and tell me you follow this same advice? Additionally, in your example, you conveniently offered up a very simplistic notion in order to support your position. A more accurate example is the following: If a doctor tells you to chant to the witch doctor, visit a chiropractor, or ingest homeopathic remedies to cure your illness, will you “listen and accept his proposition”?

Regarding your second reply, you conveniently left out a third option. That is, cannot know, as in the claim is unfalsifiable, yet the claim is believed and accepted as true. What do you think of those who fall into that category?

I’d appreciate if others would allow Don to answer for himself. The cheerleading, defensiveness, and ‘likes’ of your internet “friends” posts does little in promoting productive dialogue. Thanks.:)

I have no idea what your goal is in this. This is your previous post:
At least he listened! The worst are those who claim to “know” things, things which no one can know, and refuse to listen or engage at all (Know anyone like this?). I would argue that these types of people are the worst, not your uncle. Again, at least your uncle was willing to listen and engage.

That was the point; he did not engage except to argue against whatever was presented; his mind was made up and he "knew" the answers whether they matched the science or not. Still a great guy, but I learned to just nod and ignore certain subjects.

No, I did not think about whatever you consider the "full context" of your questions. They seemed the type that try to assign yes or no answers to a very broad range of possibilities.

As for simplistic examples, I'm a simple guy, and certainly have no interest getting into some sort of philosophical debate about knowledge, honesty, and integrity as you seem to be heading with this. BTW, I didn't "conveniently" leave out your third option; I simply did not think of it.

Wisdom comes from experience, and experience from making lots of mistakes. So far, I've lots of experience.

Knowledge does not need to be backed by science. It may or may not be correct, but to me knowledge is what you learn. Could be hands-on, book learning, or taught by your parents or peers. I don't need to know the science behind optical spectra and physiology to "know" when a crayon is red; mommy told me. Many people who drive a car don't understand thermodynamics. We go through life learning, unlearning, and relearning from folk we considered experts at one point in time.

This seems like a series of posts meant to be an attack vehicle against... someone (me? ASR members in general? The PhD who wronged you in a previous life?) In any event, I generally post while a test is running, so tend to be a "fly by" poster dipping into threads now and then. I don't have any interest in pursuing this, would rather spend my posting time elsewhere. Call it running away. Feel free to put me on your ignore list.

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
... I also checked the solders: the shield is soldered at both side. I guess it is normal due the unbalanced nature of the cable (?) ...

Hmm ... to avoid/minimize the ground loops (50 or 60Hz noise) the shielding should be soldered to one side only (the DAC/CD player side) as far as the unbalanced interconnects are concerned ...
Very few RCA interconnects offer this design, though.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@agtp Experts can't be trusted through reputation alone. Their claims, evidence and process have to be examined.

Eirikur

That Audio Bacon dude is going to regret all the time he spent on this listening-to-cables stuff in a few years.
Regret what? Making money through his website and getting the satisfaction of trolling ignorant "measuring guys"?
I'm seriously considering going into the wrapped zip-cord business myself, you only need to sell a couple a year!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hum, I think a second conductor needed for "not solder" the shield to the other end (still the second conductor is soldered to the cold pin). The 2964 is a mono core cable, I guess that's why.

Voltage is developed across two points, and current is loop, going out (source) and back (return). If you have an RCA cable that has one outer shield and an inner wire, that is only two conductors, you need them both to transfer signal. In that case, if you lift the ground at one end, the signal must find another ground path. Probably a long, noisy one.

For single-ended connections they make cables that have an innermost conductor, insulation, an inner shield, insulation, and outer shield. The signal is not directly carried by the outermost shield. You can connect the outer shield at only one end to break the outer current loop and reduce sensitivity to RFI. These are often called "quad shield" cables.

Balanced connections, e.g. using XLR cables, use a twisted pair of inner wires to conduct the signal, then have an outer shield. In that case again the outer shield does not (directly) carry signal and can be lifted at one end.

In any case disconnecting (lifting) the outer shield at both ends can create a tuned antenna that picks up worse than no shield.

HTH - Don

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Hmm ... to avoid/minimize the ground loops (50 or 60Hz noise) the shielding should be soldered to one side only (the DAC/CD player side) as far as the unbalanced interconnects are concerned ...
Very few RCA interconnects offer this design, though.
All analog RCA interconnects should use a coax cable with a heavy braided shield that is connected at both ends.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Regret what? Making money through his website and getting the satisfaction of trolling ignorant "measuring guys"?
I'm seriously considering going into the wrapped zip-cord business myself, you only need to sell a couple a year!
I dunno. I'd feel pretty ashamed. He's been around other engineers and knows that community at least to some degree, including how rigorous the standards are for top-level work. It would be hard to turn away from everything without a tug on the conscience.

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
All analog RCA interconnects should use a coax cable with a heavy braided shield that is connected at both ends.

This is what my French cable suppliers did for me, this design actually helped me out in solving the ground loop ...
Non Connecté in the RCA with #2 conductors = not wired

1566402465420.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This is what my French cable suppliers did for me, this design actually helped me out in solving the ground loop ...
Non Connecté in the RCA with #2 conductors = not wired
If the shield is only connected at one end. and it has either no second inner conductor or one that is "non connecte", how is the signal completed?
If it's being completed back thru the AC power/chassis ground, thats a scary thought. o_O

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
If the shield is only connected at one end. and it has either no second inner conductor or one that is "non connecte", how is the signal completed?
If it's being completed back thru the AC power/chassis ground, thats a scary thought. o_O

We were talking abt. the shield line, not the neutral one! :)
The source component receives the end in which both shield and negative line is connected to the barrel.
On the amp side, only the neutral line is connected to the barrel, and the screen is entirely insulated.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Right - frame ground (shield) connected to signal ground on one side of the cable, but not the other.
I've seen some unbalanced RCA cables wired asymmetrically like this, and they have arrows printed on the cable housing.

Someone mentioned earlier that you want the 2 grounds connected on the upstream side. Why is this? It seems like it shouldn't matter which side it's on, so long as you use that way consistently it should break any ground loops. In other words, connect the cables so all the arrows point in the same direction (upstream or downstream) but it shouldn't matter which direction you pick.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The convention I learned was to connect at the driver (source, output) so any ground noise induced by the transmitter would be common-mode to the shield. That is more of an RF thing than audio but I have always done it that way since I was weaned on it. The same convention was usually (but not always) used for all the audio (consumer and pro) installations I did decades ago when I was doing that sort of thing.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Right - frame ground (shield) connected to signal ground on one side of the cable, but not the other.
I've seen some unbalanced RCA cables wired asymmetrically like this, and they have arrows printed on the cable housing ...

Sure, particularly for interconnects made with Mogami's cable ('cause this was the brand at the origin of these most recent posts) there is an 'established convention' among DIYs or cable manufacturers, for which the correct way for the end-user to run the interconnect from output to input is by placing the 'M' of Mogami printed onto the cable at the source component side.
Alternatively, others may use arrows to make evident the output end with 3-soldered conductors from the input end with 2-soldered conductors.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
We were talking abt. the shield line, not the neutral one! :)
The source component receives the end in which both shield and negative line is connected to the barrel.
On the amp side, only the neutral line is connected to the barrel, and the screen is entirely insulated.
OK, that's not what the drawing shows. ;)

MRC01

Major Contributor
Speaking of ground loops, I encountered a one several years ago that I solved but never understood why it worked.

I built a stepped attenuator "preamp" using a pair (1 per channel) of Goldpoint 24-position switches loaded with metal film resistors. Resistor values selected so that every position had a 10 kOhm load to the source, and they were 2 dB apart. All standard unbalanced RCA. It worked great, but there was a low level hum. Long story short, I changed the wiring so that one channel (the left, but it shouldn't matter which) had its signal ground wired to the frame. As originally built, I wired both + and - for each channel straight through, both isolated from the metal frame of the attenuator. I only guessed at the solution of asymmetric grounding, connecting 1 but not both to the frame. It worked (eliminated the hum), though I never knew exactly why. Later when I built a phono headamp from the DACT CT-100 (powered by 12 V batteries, not connected to the wall), I encountered the same problem and the same technique (applied to the high level output, not the low level input) fixed it. Then, in a different house, I encountered a low level hum from the phono amp that was fixed by doing the opposite: connecting the grounds to each other so both were latched to frame.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That Audio Bacon dude is going to regret all the time he spent on this listening-to-cables stuff in a few years.

I just had the misfortune to re-visit that 27 power cables "review" and now the comments are abundant. I can't believe what an absolute jerk that reviewer is being in the comments section. BTW, if you dare ask for measurements, you are simply a "measurement moron."

I have no problem thinking these guys believe what they think they hear, but it also seems the case that reviewers like that don't want to put their claims through any more rigorous testing, e.g. blind testing, that could show up their errors. Then they would lose the authority or stature they gain by getting all this gear and telling the audience how it sounds.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I just did a blind test with my friend using Focal Stellia and cardas and stock cable.
It was a double blind test. Being,
1, I can't see which is which
2, I can't know whether he switched cable or not.
The track I used is Facepalm Mute - Periphery
Results
1, stock correct
2, stock correct
3, cardas correct
4, cardas correct
5, stock correct
During the process I felt like I couldn't hear the difference until the 5th.

The stock has more highs and more open sounding with less congested mids and bass.

The background story. I demoed stellia a few months ago. That time I went to the store by myself. Today I went with my friend. When I hear it, it doesn't sound quite different than what I remembered. It has cardas cable. So I let my friend listen to it, also with stock cable. He also thinks the difference is very big. We do both agree the difference is too big to do blind test. But I said I have to do it just to make sure. And here it is. All 5 correct. Big difference. The reason why I thought I couldn't hear the difference was because he only changed once in first four trials. When he changed back to the stock cable again, the difference is big.
How big is the difference then, I would say about +2db around 3khz-6khz. But it doesn't relate to actual measurement of frequency response. It's just perception. It feels like less 500-1000hz and more 3-6khz.

It's a proof that headphone cable and consequently speaker cable do make difference. And it's not really a small difference.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
I just did a blind test with my friend using Focal Stellia and cardas and stock cable.
It was a double blind test. Being,
1, I can't see which is which
2, I can't know whether he switched cable or not.
The track I used is Face Palmute - Periphery
Results
1, stock correct
2, stock correct
3, cardas correct
4, cardas correct
5, stock correct
During the process I felt like I couldn't hear the difference until the 5th.

The stock has more highs and more open sounding with less congested mids and bass.

The background story. I demoed stellia a few months ago. That time I went to the store by myself. Today I went with my friend. When I hear it, it doesn't sound quite different than what I remembered. It has cardas cable. So I let my friend listen to it, also with stock cable. He also thinks the difference is very big. We do both agree the difference is too big to do blind test. But I said I have to do it just to make sure. And here it is. All 5 correct. Big difference. The reason why I thought I couldn't hear the difference was because he only changed once in first four trials. When he changed back to the stock cable again, the difference is big.
How big is the difference then, I would say about +2db around 3khz-6khz. But it doesn't relate to actual measurement of frequency response. It's just perception. It feels like less 500-1000hz and more 3-6khz.

It's a proof that headphone cable and consequently speaker cable do make difference. And it's not really a small difference.

If your test method was valid then one or both cables is poorly designed, faulty or a deliberate filter compared to a High Fidelity cable.

One thing I have gathered from the many headphone threads on this forum is the varied opinions, often contradictory, on what is a good headphone. A very personal/subjective subject, it seems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom