• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Denon & LG & Apple TV lip sync drama troubleshoot

Hello guys,

It is one of the last steps i can imagine to ask all of you. Maybe here are some guys who has the same issue.

The components:
LG 65B19LA
DENON X3600h
Apple TV4k

The issue: lip sync no matter what i try.
If i had to tell which direction the sound delays i would say it is the sound which comes first.

The troubleshoot:
I have some serious issues with audio delay on this setup. I connected the Apple TV4k directly to my TV. It is connected with a certified cable via earc to my denon.
At my TV i put everything to bypass and tried different sound modes except for pcm which is not able to put Atmos out and so on.
My TV was set to bypass. The settings on the tv to delay makes it even worse.

Next try was to connect the apple tv directly to my avr. i do this and it still wont work.
At all tests on my denon auto lip sync was on. I tried to delay the sound on the denon but it seems like it making it worse.
I have no measuring tools to test what is wrong here.

On the apple tv settings there is a setting which adjust framerate. If i turn it off it makes it better but not perfect.
If i do so the picture is stuttering like hell.
I called lg and they tell me to factory reset my tv.. done... same problem out of the box.

Maybe someone can tell me which device is the problem here. I sadly have no other device which can put dolby formats via earc to try out if the apple tv is the issue.

Some forums suggesting the same issue but neither denon or lg has any reports of this problem.

Am i the only one who has this? If there is anything i can try i would love to hear it.

Im from germany so i hope my english is good enough.

Best regards!!

I recently noticed the same thing with my Denon AVR-X2300W. I also have the Apple TV 4K going to the receiver, then from the receiver an HDMI goes to Samsung monitor display.

I wonder if it has anything to do with recent updates?

Last edited:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a setting on your Apple TV to adjust lip sync? I know my FireTV has a lip sync adjustment feature with a nifty bouncing ball animation. I would make sure you have all your components set to their settings you usually use when watching TV so things like room correction are activated in the Denon. Then pick ONE device to do the lip sync correction and adjust the delay on that one device. Note: I have noticed on Netflix specifically there are lip sync problems that only occur in that app. So I don't adjust for the app because it makes everything else out of sync.

OP
C
Little update on this:
A technician has changed the complete mainboard of the lg tv. Same issue...
It must be a TV-Software thing or a Denon thing. If I use the internal apps of the lg tv the issue is still present.
I tried any settings on the tv. nothing works.

Now that i know that the internal apps create the same issue my suggestion is that AutoLip-Sync is not working.
This combination of devices is a pain.

The best thing on this is that i dont know which element is faulty so that i might have to sell my complete setup.
love it.

Eke

I have
LG Bx
Denon 3700
Apple tv 4k

In my case only way to get rid of the audio sync issue was by forcing A-tv output 5.1 audio instead of the default atmos. This is probably bug in A-tv software.

OP
C
But i have also delay issues without apple tv.
To turn off atmos on atv cannot be a solution.

I only read articles with this type of problems with a denon lg combination.
I dont think its a apple tv problem.

Today i only want to know which device is the problem here so that i dont have to spend another 2k

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
The issue: lip sync no matter what i try.
Have you tried the AppleTV's own sync adjustment? Settings > Video and Audio > (Calibration) Wireless Audio Sync. Don't be fooled by the 'wireless' bit. It works for wired speakers too.

OP
C
I tried it.. seems like it has absolutely no impact.
With manual adjustments on the denon avr (apple tv connected on the avr) i am at the time at >120ms.
I still not find the correct value.

I still think that the hdmi cec feature to auto-lip sync is not doing anything.

On the apple tv i calibrate dolby vision, hdr and sdr 4k at 50, 60, 30 and 25.. All have no impact.

I want to mention again. Even without the apple tv with internal app the async is still present.

oupee

I have a similar problem using Plex. The sound goes first and I have to set the sound on the amplifier to -100ms. It only does TrueHD-Atmos. If I turn off the AV and let the sound be decoded by the TV via HDMI pass through source, everything is fine. I think it's a Denon/Marantz update error.
Shield PRO(PLEX)-AV Marantz-Sony TV

Last edited:

ascl

I have LGC9, Marantz SR6014, and Apple TV 4k.... and I definitely have lip sync issues as well. I've spent ages messing with settings, and there are a few tips I have:
  • The Amazon Prime app is terrible with lip sync. Avoid it where possible
  • The wireless audio sync thing is reported to work very well, but you need to manually change the desktop to the framerate you want to set the audio sync to. So you need to configure your A.Tv "desktop" to use 24 fps run it, configure your A.Tv to 60 fps re-run it etc. Note that this doesn't solve it for me.
  • Disabling "match frame rate" generally helps, but is, IMHO, a terrible solution.
  • I set an audio delay of 80ms in the AVR. This is not exactly correct but is a middle ground that seems to mostly work across different frame rates.

I don't have a solution... although I suspect the AVR is to blame here.

OP
C
im glad to see i am not alone.
im in contact with denon now and the want to check my avr for free.
maybe i can get something rolling here.

is here anyone who is using the x3700h and can tell the same problems here?

funny is that the combination of lg and denon seems to be a problem.

OP
C
I have LGC9, Marantz SR6014, and Apple TV 4k.... and I definitely have lip sync issues as well. I've spent ages messing with settings, and there are a few tips I have:
  • The Amazon Prime app is terrible with lip sync. Avoid it where possible
  • The wireless audio sync thing is reported to work very well, but you need to manually change the desktop to the framerate you want to set the audio sync to. So you need to configure your A.Tv "desktop" to use 24 fps run it, configure your A.Tv to 60 fps re-run it etc. Note that this doesn't solve it for me.
  • Disabling "match frame rate" generally helps, but is, IMHO, a terrible solution.
  • I set an audio delay of 80ms in the AVR. This is not exactly correct but is a middle ground that seems to mostly work across different frame rates.

I don't have a solution... although I suspect the AVR is to blame here.
  • i dont try prime, only try a amazon tv stick 4k (not max). its better but not able to play bitstream it seems like. i only get mc-pcm which is working better but not perfect.
  • you still get a delay which have to be corrected.
  • on atv the wireless audio sync i tried on some framerates. But you have to spend hours to check which app is using at which picture mode which frequency.
  • the match framerate option is the reason why someone is buying an apple tv.
    • when there is any problem with atv itself the whole internet should explode with that message. but i only find this on denon/marantz etc.
  • yeah but to have it correct you have to adjust it with every content you want to watch. And this is a experience nobody wants.

ascl

Good luck, I hope you find an answer (and can share it, Marantz and Denon are very similar).

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Maybe frame matching (apple TV) is your problem with the Denon AVR.

OP
C
Maybe frame matching (apple TV) is your problem with the Denon AVR.
as mentioned several times now.
Even without it it is async.
Even without the whole Apple TV its async.
Tested with Fire Tv, Tested with internal apps of the tv.
Tested directly on AVR using TV only for picture with connected earc.

DrStranger

Here is some tips and questions for you, some you might find stupid, but its not:

1: Has this ever worked? If yes, when , what where you doing when it stopped working?
If no, have you tried to push this to a pc monitor (atv>avr> pc monitor) and see any sync issues? use a hdmi to DP if your monitor only has DP. Also try connect a PC to your avr or tv and push some dolby or whatever.

2: Are you using wired or wifi for the internet connection to the atv or TV (when u test internal apps).
If you are using wifi, your router might not be able to push the bandwith or stream needed, try cable. Also, wireless network has so many variables and setting on both the device/adapters/routers it can be a mess to find the correct settings sometimes, always go wired as much as one can.

3. Whats your internet connection? for 4k content at least 15-25 Mbits is recommended for 4k depend who you ask, amazon, netflix...

4. is it the same issue if you use youtube app, try both the atv and lg with different content, hf, fhd, uhd, 4k, with or without dolby, etc.

Last edited:
OP
C
I start with my answers and edit the post while im testing:
1:
Yes! It works on my old TV the LG B7 an OLED from the year 2017. It was kicked of my desk so its now broken. Now i buyed this LG b19la. The old TV didnt have earc so not comparable. At the time i have the normal old apple tv and i have no problems. With internal apps on tv again no problems. It starts with this tv in earc connection.

TODO: connect a pc monitor not tested yet. But again it should not be comparable. No monitor has earc.

I connect my old media pc directly via hdmi on the avr. LG B19LA is used on this. Downloaded the netflix app to test. Result i get dd+ and its async.
If i try this at the browser which only provides stereo pcm its much better like i already said on other combinations.
Since its another input on the avr (in this case the game input) the audio delay settings are lip-sync->on and 0ms

2:
WIFI connection. Trust me wired makes no difference. I have the second modern fritzbox 7590... dont know if you have this device in your country.

3:
Internet Connection cannot be the problem here! it has worked a year ago on the same connection. Its 250Mbit.

I tried the youtube app on atv with the 120ms settings i use at the moment. Its better. But all others are broken.
Now the big BUT!!! Its a video with stereo pcm... again with pcm it seems to be almost perfect. Already said at 1.

DrStranger

Well then then I am out of ideas and will leave you with these links for further troubleshooting. Normally when a chain is not working it should be a detection problem but in your case it feels like a setting or similar. And you probably have all the latest firmware as well and spoken to Denon (don’t talk to the European, talk to the us or Canada instead). Any how, here you go:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LGOLED/comments/revf69

OP
C
checked all your links. Thank you!
most of them describe the problem that not even the device controls work over hdmi. This is working flawlessly since day one.
its only the dialog which remains async. nothing else.
I resetted my denon now and connect everything new.. cec on lg activated, audio over arc.
Issue remains..
Im out of ideas... im almost giving up

DrStranger

Then I recommend that you contact Denon. I normally don’t go to local site or support , US and Canada would be my recommendation. The other day I spoke to a Denon rep , US site, using their chat function, worked fine and got quick response.

Best of luck to you.

Top Bottom