• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Denon & LG & Apple TV lip sync drama troubleshoot

OP
C
Guys, is it possible that this match framerate feature of the apple tv requires an hdmi 2.1 port?

OP
C
an update from lg side.
They say, that the tv doesnt have the auto lip sync feature.
Dont know if its true or not.
After asking for the delay this tv produces to set it they say they have no info about that.
At the end they say the arc is only compatible with lg devices.

nice politics.
At the moment it seems like a combination of devices which simply not work.
LG B1 and Denon x3600h be aware its not compatible.

OP
C
if anyone is here with a c1, b1 or c2, b2 with an x3700h tell me pls if it works.

The end of the story seems to be going for a full replace.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have a lip sync problem with my lg c1 and my Denon x3100. Which is much older. Don't you have an option to set the delay in the Apple TV?

Also have you tried any of the built in streaming apps to see if they have the same issue?

OP
C
You just using arc not earc. So not comparable but thank you for your telling!

yeah i tried internal apps.
Earc connected.. auto lip sync on, earc on, 0ms manual delay.. lg bypass and not bypass...
completely out of sync.

Last edited:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you played with adjusting the manual delay by 50ms intervals and seeing if it gets closer? In your case you are delaying the video because the audio is going through an extra processing step. So typically the delay needs to be applied at the video source.

OP
C
Its the only way to consume content atm. im about 145 now and its not synced perfectly.. im tired so that i gived up.
Normally is not that you need to apply a delay. Its one of the most important features of earc that you have NOT to do this.

video is later than sound. im delaying the sound

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try plugging the appleTV into the denon and then out of the denon into the TV and see if that changes anything. Next suggestion is to get a cheap Roku stick or fireTV stick to see if either of those performs differently. That way you are first eliminating the TV from the chain then the AppleTV.

Do you have the same problem when using the TVs internal speakers?

OP
C
This is the setup right now. ATV Connected to AVR. Not working. Fire TV same thing on denon. Internal Apps of TV same thing.
Internal speakers works perfectly synced. (no earc used no wonder)
Today i can/will try fire tv on tv and over earc to reciever.

OP
C
I have now tested the x3700h.
With match frame rate on on apple tv its also async.
Tested via TV-Connection and AVR Connection.
The x3700h is doing well without match framerate.

Im confused now and thinking to sell this piece of apple...
I dont understand this apple device. The amazon fire tv Stick has also a match framerate feature which dont switch to 24hz. So also no issues here.
With match framerate on apple tv on its impossible to watch any content on this device..

Maybe my apple-tv is buggy??

Now that i have the same problem with both denon x3600h, x3700h i think its either a LG OLED Problem in General or the apple tv is a piece of trash.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I understand your post. Whenever appletv is set to "match frame rate" then the lip sync issue shows up. Whenever it not set to "match frame rate" the problem goes away. Also you have a FireTV and it doesn't have the lip sync problem when "match frame rate" is turned on.

If that's the case it seems like the Appletv is the problem. There are a couple options. 1)turn off match frame rate and live with the Appletv. 2)call apple customer service and ask them to help you trouble shoot the problem with the Appletv. Maybe they will replace it for you. 3) get rid of the Appletv and use a FireTV or Roku.

OP
C
Its a really expensive test scenario :D
i feel bad about selling this apple tv.
I really want to understand the issue here.
Is LG or Apple the problem..

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Call apple customer service and have them help you trouble shoot. So far as I can discern from your post it seems like the problem is the Appletv when using "match frame rate."

OP
C
Apple switched my complete device.
The problem persists.
So. Apple Software broken???
i dont get why nobody else has this.

ascl

You are by far not the only one, there are threads and threads on this across various forums. I've read heaps of them, tried heaps of things, and ultimately have my AVR set to offset audio by (IIRC) 90ms. This isn't perfect, as the offset needs to be different in different frame rates, but gets me close enough to deal with it. I would *love* a better solution. From my perspective the question isn't "why nobody else has this" but rather, how on earth do people without this problem avoid it!

From my tests, the only thing that has worked is turning off adaptive frame rate. But I watch enough mixed content for this to be a bad solution. I even tried a HDFury to move the video processing entirely out of the AVR to no avail (the hdfury went back, twice, due to faults, so I'm not going that route again). My next AVR, which wont be too far away because I want 8k (well, 120hz 4k really) switching support, will not be a Denon or Marantz. I'm hoping that helps. I guess the obvious thing would be to ditch the Apple TV, but I'm well and truly embedded in the apple echo-system, and it does many things well. The auto-lip sync even works well... with frame rate content match disabled.

OP
C
The LG B1 is a TV which supports vrr. So i can really check if the content is 24. It seems the picture gets added this delay. If it stays in 50 for example the delay is less. What i wonder is who is using tvs which have vrr. Maybe the combination here is the problem

KR500

There is a video on Youtube I watched a week or 2 ago about this issue and the guy tried everything with no success.
He bought a new HDMI cable that connected to the Apple TV and it solved the problem.
Seemed the older HDMI cable was the culprit

OP
C
I tried an old 2.0 high speed cable and a hdmi 2.1 certified. Both had the same issue.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is happening when you turn off match frame rate? I didn't follow if that solves the problem and if so, why that solution doesn't meet your needs? Also, did a Roku or FireTV stick give you the same problem? Is not why doesn't switching to one of those meet your needs?

ascl

For me at least, I can't stand judder. I have a display that is capable of matching the frame rate of the source material, why wouldn't I use it?

Top Bottom