• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony XR-65A80L TV Sound eArc Issue With Denon AVR-X4500H

John316

Equipment:

Sony XR-65A80L OLED TV

Denon AVR-X4500H AV Receiver

HDMI Certified Ultra Hi Speed cable

Problem:

Sometimes, not always, when switching the TV and AVR on, the sound is not transmitted from the TV to the AVR. Nothing. Nada.

All relevant eArc/Audio Return settings on both devices are set to on, both devices are eArc compatible, the correct HDMI eArc ports are being utilised, firmware is up-to-date and when it does work, automatically without issue, the sound is brilliant!

Solution (Temporary):

Turn off the AVR and unplug it from the mains for 30secs. Plug it back in, fire it up and once the relays have engaged, the sound from the TV is back (until the next time it randomly doesn’t).

Note: This issue has only manifest since the purchase of the new Sony TV. My previous Sony TV worked flawlessly with this AVR for years without even the hint that eArc problems were a thing.

Questions:

Which device is at fault?

What exactly is causing the issue?

Is there a permanent solution?

Thank you for your consideration.

JPA

Forum Donor

Equipment:

Sony XR-65A80L OLED TV

Denon AVR-X4500H AV Receiver

HDMI Certified Ultra Hi Speed cable

Problem:

Sometimes, not always, when switching the TV and AVR on, the sound is not transmitted from the TV to the AVR. Nothing. Nada.

All relevant eArc/Audio Return settings on both devices are set to on, both devices are eArc compatible, the correct HDMI eArc ports are being utilised, firmware is up-to-date and when it does work, automatically without issue, the sound is brilliant!

Solution (Temporary):

Turn off the AVR and unplug it from the mains for 30secs. Plug it back in, fire it up and once the relays have engaged, the sound from the TV is back (until the next time it randomly doesn’t).

Note: This issue has only manifest since the purchase of the new Sony TV. My previous Sony TV worked flawlessly with this AVR for years without even the hint that eArc problems were a thing.

Questions:

Which device is at fault?

What exactly is causing the issue?

Is there a permanent solution?

Thank you for your consideration.
I'm having the same, or at least very similar, issue with my new LG OLED G3 and Marantz AV 10.
I need ARC/eARC only because I'm using OTA TV broadcasts. I go into the TV's settings menu and set the audio output of the antenna input to eARC. Everything is fine. Then I power everything down and back up, and the audio output has been reset to the TV speakers.

OP
John316

John316

I'm having the same, or at least very similar, issue with my new LG OLED G3 and Marantz AV 10.
I need ARC/eARC only because I'm using OTA TV broadcasts. I go into the TV's settings menu and set the audio output of the antenna input to eARC. Everything is fine. Then I power everything down and back up, and the audio output has been reset to the TV speakers.
Frustrating, I feel your pain.

Top Bottom