• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The best way to bring audio enthusiasts from the dark side and see the light?

Robin L

Master Contributor
"It's always night, or we wouldn't need light."

Thelonious Monk

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ehh, some people enjoy hunting for Bigfoot and Nessie. We all started in the hobby riding the subjective carousel and ended up here eventually.
The rational ones will find their way here on their own.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Everyone is blessed in their own faith. People get to believe what they want, of course
I am from the Church of Sobjectivism, which (I think) was started by the wisdom of
202201_WCFieldsBeer.jpg
... “Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Triliza

Forum Donor
“The best way to bring audio enthusiasts from the dark side and see the light?”
Why bother…..it’s a hobby, not a Crusade.
I agree with you when the hobbyist has deep pockets, but that's not always the case. I don't remember on which audio forum I read it and when, but there was this topic with a guy asking for recommendation on what speakers cables to buy to complement the rest of his system, and basically he was saying that he managed to put aside like $600 for that. It seemed to me from the context that he had struggled to get that money together, money that he could have used productively on other things, for audio or elsewhere. And the advice that was given to him, all of that together was a sad story to read.

It's fine if someone wants to spend his money on whatever he wants, but all this audiophiliac ecosystem is not that innocent and has many other parameters that have quite some negative impact in many peoples that are affected by it, like spending hard earned money on bs, not really appreciating their audio system (which may be more that decent) because it's not expensive enough and things like that. That way of thinking needs to be challenged, that's how change will become.

NDRQ

In this golden era of information, if someone dont see the light, thats pretty much a lost case.
Some people are just dumb and want to believe in random bllshit.

Last edited:
Reactions: buz

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
..Some people are just dumb and want to believe in random bllshit...
Not being aware of something does not necessarily make YOU dumb.
The example I cited earlier w/a neighbor-couple going out and spending $1k+ for a new TV is a good example.
One should not expect or take for granted that YOU may know that the TV sound coming out of their tin squawk boxes is gawd'awful but expecting the same of everyone else is a big reach.
For all YOU know, your next door neighbor (who does not know any better) may be a brain surgeon!
That ain't so dumb now, is it?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What makes it even more remarkable to me is that even when you know they are the same, you just can't see it.

This is what makes the story of ”The Money Pump” (a classic in behavioral finance) so amazing. Sarah Lichtenstein took it to experienced gamblers, showed them how they were losing money every turn, and they still insisted on making the same choices.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LackOfNooky.jpg
TriangleMissingPart.jpg

If anyone enjoys this sort eye-trickery; start a new post titled "Illusions & Street Art" and I may contribute a bunch.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with you when the hobbyist has deep pockets, but that's not always the case. I don't remember on which audio forum I read it and when, but there was this topic with a guy asking for recommendation on what speakers cables to buy to complement the rest of his system, and basically he was saying that he managed to put aside like $600 for that. It seemed to me from the context that he had struggled to get that money together, money that he could have used productively on other things, for audio or elsewhere. And the advice that was given to him, all of that together was a sad story to read.

It's fine if someone wants to spend his money on whatever he wants, but all this audiophiliac ecosystem is not that innocent and has many other parameters that have quite some negative impact in many peoples that are affected by it, like spending hard earned money on bs, not really appreciating their audio system (which may be more that decent) because it's not expensive enough and things like that. That way of thinking needs to be challenged, that's how change will become.

Very true, but again in fairness not unique to audio. And one of the things that tends to make us appreciate things is the very fact that the they don't come easily but are the result of working and saving.

DanielT

Major Contributor
This is what makes the story of ”The Money Pump” (a classic in behavioral finance) so amazing. Sarah Lichtenstein took it to experienced gamblers, showed them how they were losing money every turn, and they still insisted on making the same choices.
I wonder who would buy this (or another similar one) and plug into their home Hifi AFTER reading this review / test? I can give a damn that there are those who do that (buys) anyway, for unclear reasons. Fun to throw your money in the lake? Instead, give away the money for something meaningful. A local music association that teaches children to play instruments, some fund for musicians for example.:)

Vain

I cannot say I fully understand the Class D amplifier approach. In my simplistic understanding, it seems like different manufacturers use the same/similar modules, add a few bells and whistles (or not), put it all in a different box and that's it?

Looking at the insides of the ones I've looked at, I cannot say they're visually appealing. Yes I know for most of their lives the insides will remain hidden but like my car, I pop open the hood - it looks good and I know it does, and that makes me happy even though I rarely pop it open.

If I was considering buying a car that performed better than my car, was cheaper, and looked good on the outside and had many bells and whistles - I would be less happy with it if I opened the hood and there was a buggers muddle of parts and wires - that would bother me. Rational? Nope. Emotional. Yep

I think if you really wanted to reach older hifi guys (like me) then the manufacturers need to move (for example) from this:

to (for example) what these conjour up in the mind:

Of course there may be some Class D amplifiers out there that do, so please point me in their direction :)

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor

Bull**** can leave people brain dead and skew their priorities. A few years ago went to buy some second hand speakers, found the house in a ****** part of town. We went in and he’d bought a system where no component cost less than £10k. He was married with three kids and there were only two downstairs rooms and a small kitchen, the font room was a dedicated listening room. Maybe not our concern but we both got angry for the Wife and kids.
If you’ve got money to burn and want to spend $600+ on speaker cables so what? Consumer vulnerability covers every aspect of our lives and just doesn’t apply to HiFi. Try telling your Wife the latest megabucks skin cream hasn’t made any difference. Good luck with that one!

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Wouldn't the real answer to the title of this thread be, "massive quantities of electroshock therapy"? With a follow on dosing of Thorazine? It just "might" get them in the proper frame of mind to actually learn something. Short of this treatment regimen, I don't think anything will work.

Hey, I'm just spit balling here! Throwing everything out to see what sticks. But, I do like this treatment though....for pesky subjectivists.

Top Bottom