• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Apple Music windows app is garbage

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Yeah ??, well they didn't invent that Either and the Star System, was around for some time before the Macintosh came about and quite realistically, there was No comparison.
The Star system had a great OS and environment, some fantastic Apps (especially if you were into serious Printing and Document handling and an Awesome Super fine pitch grey scale monitor that could fit 4 x A4 pages.
The Mac, was almost like a Toy or Charicature by comparison :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Star

Interesting, that "toy" argument is the one some people use against affordable mass-produced (but technically advanced) hi-fi here.

Prior to Apple offering the original Macintosh, Xerox offered the Star office system as a minimum bundle of 2-3 computers on a LAN, so the buy-in was maybe $50K. Along with that, there were performance issues "the system would be considered very slow, due partly to the limited hardware of the time, and partly to a poorly implemented file system; saving a large file could take minutes. Crashes can be followed by an hours-long process called file scavenging, signaled by the appearance of the diagnostic code 7511 in the top left corner of the screen."

Typically Apple doesn't necessarily invent a thing from scratch, but develops pre-existing concepts and technologies into a highly usable product. Jobs wouldn't have offered the original Mac with those performance issues, for example. But he certainly saw the potential in what PARC was doing. As for iTunes or Music app on Windows, I don't know why they do that at all, I can't really evaluate the UX for that without using it.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As for iTunes or Music app on Windows, I don't know why they do that at all, I can't really evaluate the UX for that without using it.

For Windows users who have iPhones. Not sure if this is still the case with Win11 but to pair with, manually manage music, podcasts etc you needed iTunes for Windows to physically connect with an iPhone. I know a lot of die hard Win users who also prefer iPhones for whatever reason.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom