• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qobuz - Moode integration from Android and Windows Apps ?

jmf11

Hello,

Context:
I use for years a simple set-up with a RPi connected to my DAC and having all the music locally on an external HDD. I control it from different devices through the web UI. KISS. I currently use Moode because of its integration of CamillaDSP. I'm very happy with the set-up.

I recently decided to subscribe to a music streaming service to expand my musical horizon. As I have this interest of audio reproduction, I would prefer to feed my system with at least CD quality (16/44.1) and avoid systematic MP3 conversion. This sort of discards Sportify (which would be an easier integration) and points more to Tidal and Qobuz. I started a trial with Qobuz, as it seems that their editorial content is interesting. As I want to discover new things, I want to start from their app and articles... and then play on Moode and my speakers.

I would like to ensure that there is no loss of qualitity in that process, ands that my RPi plays the same thing as what is streamed by Qobuz. From what I understand, there is no Chromecast integration in Moode (and Linux). I don't have Apple devices, so Airplay is not the obvious option. And I'm not interested in Roon yet. How to best do that integration?

Android:
After browsing the net and installed Bubbleupnp, which seems a (the) common solution for the bridging from Qobuz to Moode. Qobuz app allows to "share" some content with Bubbleupnp. So I can choose my music on the Qobuz app, share it with Bubbleupnp, which then plays on the Moode renderer. But I haven't grasped everything yet here. There is still some better understanding needed in my usage of the feature. Sometimes works, some other not. I can do it for tracks and albums, but didn't succeeded with Qobuz playlists...

Question: how to best configure Qobuz/Bubbleupnp/Moode to have Moode plays the music from Qobuz directly (I entered my credentials in Moode but not sure it is correct) and not streamed from the phone?

I see that this has relation to upmpdcli https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/pages/upmpdcli-manual.html#OPENHOME and the different architectures, openhome implementation...

Windows:
I like to listen music from my desk, in front of my PC. I would like to do same as above from my Windows 10 PC. The Qobuz app has no upnp feature. Is there something similar to Bubbleupnp on windows or a different and still simple way to proceed?

Best regards,

JMF

TaxTime

I use Bubble as controller for Qobuz to Pi4 using Moode (which in turn is I installed in an Okto Dac8 Stereo). Bubble is just the controller, so once you enter your Qobuz credentials, everything on Qobuz is able to stream to Moode on the Pi. Once it is set up, Moode is available in Bubble as a renderer after you allow it in the settings.

I have tried Qobuz on Windows, but it sucked (to me). At least the last time I tried it some time ago, I could play directly to the DAC through USB using either WASAPI or ASIO, but it was a little wonky (I don't remember in what way). I also didn't care for the Windows UI compared to the Android - other than it was easier to type in searches, etc. with a keyboard cuz I have fat fingers. As far as I recall, Qobuz on Windows could not play to a networked renderer, but I never dug deep into it since I didn't care for the UI.

OP
J

jmf11

Merci Taxtime,

I bought the Bubbleupnp licence to have a clean platform for my experiments about bridging from Qobuz app to Bubbleupnp. If I have questions about the configuration, I may turn to you.

I configured the Moode Upnp renderer as:
  • "Openhome"
  • Qobuz music service: my credentials and Qobuz quality = FLAC
Do you have something similar on the Moode side?

I see several options about Qobuz and Upnp in Bubbleupnp, and I don't know if there are some good to change from the default setting.

It is really infortunate that the Qobuz apps don't provide basic features to stream to a Upnp renderer :-( I would appeciate to be able to read their editorial content on my desktop screen while listening to the associated music... Sure would be too simple.

Best regards,

JM

amarsicola

Forum Donor
You can also try Volumio on raspberry pi. Qobuz integration is better than Upnp as far as i remember (did some experiments few years ago) and you have Fusiondsp. Unfortunately it requires a small subscription (around 60€/year). Try and see

mSpot

Qobuz app allows to "share" some content with Bubbleupnp. So I can choose my music on the Qobuz app, share it with Bubbleupnp, which then plays on the Moode renderer. But I haven't grasped everything yet here. There is still some better understanding needed in my usage of the feature. Sometimes works, some other not. I can do it for tracks and albums, but didn't succeeded with Qobuz playlists...

Question: how to best configure Qobuz/Bubbleupnp/Moode to have Moode plays the music from Qobuz directly (I entered my credentials in Moode but not sure it is correct) and not streamed from the phone?
Using UPnP, the music stream doesn't pass through your phone. The BubbleUPnP app acts as the UPnP control point. It tells the UPnP renderer (Moode) to retrieve the data directly from the UPnP server (Qobuz). Read more about UPnP here and here.

I believe that you entered your Qobuz credentials into BubbleUPnP (not Moode). It gives BubbleUPnP full access to the Qobuz catalog, along with your favorites and playlists. You can play everything from the BubbleUPnP app itself without needing to share from the Qobuz app. In the BubbleUPnP app, tap on the More tab at the bottom left, then tap on Qobuz. It opens a screen where you can access your playlists and favorite albums, artists, and tracks. It also lists album collections curated by Qobuz. For other items in the catalog you will need to find them using the search function (near the top right of the screen). The Qobuz app provides a richer UI experience and more features than the BubbleUPnP interface, but the sharing step is a bit cumbersome. Many people use the Qobuz app for music discovery, and then switch over to the BubbleUPnP app to directly play their favorites and playlists.

Qobuz has been working on a Qobuz Connect feature, similar to Spotify Connect and Tidal Connect. The Qobuz app itself would control playback on streamer devices that will support Qobuz Connect. It is expected to be available later this year.

OP
J

jmf11

Hello mSpot, thank you for sharing.

Yes, maybe I want to over do it.

I confirm that there is a possibility to enter your Qobuz Credentials in Moode. I had in mind that this would be needed for Moode to act as a UPnP renderer if receiving the stream from Qobuz directly without BubbleUPnP in the rendering loop.

I think I should step back and "resimplify the thing" with the simplest setup, then understand limitations I face, then address those limitations.

And hopefully soon Qobuz will release a OpenSource Qobuz connect, possible to be integrated in Moode. This would help :)

Honestly, this thing makes me wonder if I should go to Spotify instead, as Connect already exists... But I imagine that my needs are not the core business. And I'm afraid that Qobuz may focus on mainstream streamers integration.

JMF

Fared

Hi chaps,

I use the same setup (Qobuz via BubbleUPnP / Moode on rpb). I got used to it althought it is highly perfectible on a UX perspective.
I just discovered this feature on the new Qobuz app version. Not tested yet...
Screenshot_2024-03-08-12-09-59-490_com.qobuz.music.jpg

Screenshot_2024-03-08-12-09-51-455_com.qobuz.music~2.jpg

Fred

Last edited:
OP
J

jmf11

Hi, I have seen this possibility, but it does not provide connection to UPnP systems (like Moode). I think that it works for Airplay and Chromecast. Two options I don't have.

Top Bottom