• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro Review (headphone Adapter)

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
no, doesn't help. i'll try the firmware update. i can also try a PD passthrough cable. maybe it's drawing too much current

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sonata bhd and Hd800s is another winner. Doesn’t drive with the authority of say the a50s but that’s to be expected. The cs4313 is an amazing chip. The soundstage and dynamics are all there.

only problem so far is that when I plug it into my iPad I get a simple “this device is not compatible” message. Anyone else have this issue? I haven’t done any firmware updates yet, just unwrapped and plugged it in.

Are you certain the BHD works with iOS? With the Sonata HD Pro there are two models, one that is cheaper and does not support iOS. So you might want to double check that for your dongle.

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
If it's an iOS device with a lightning connector, you'll need the Apple camera kit. Works fine for me with that :)
Referring to the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro specifically. I bought the non-iOS version and works fine with Apple camera kit.

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
Tempotec Sonata HD Pro non-iOS version (bought early 2020) also works fine with my USB-C 2020 12 inch ipad pro :)

MiloTheFirst

some have claimed that the only difference between the IOS version and the non-IOS is that the former included a certified lighting cable in the package. mine is an IOS version and it worked just fine with an iphone I borrowed from a friend just to check the cable worked, even before I updated the firmware . I don't own any apple product myself so I have not done any more testing in that platform ever since

charleski

Major Contributor
I use mine connected to an ancient MacBook Pro and it works fine without any pops. The only issue is that occasionally when the computer wakes from sleep the dongle's output is very noisy. The only way to cure this is to physically reset it by unplugging and replugging the USB cord. I tried various things like unloading and reloading coreaudiod or usbd and that didn't help. Since this only happens once every couple of weeks or so it's not a big problem, but I wonder if upgrading the firmware would do anything (it's currently running as stock out of the box).

thyristor

I got this because I wanted to test one of these dongles. Not that I needed one.

This doesn't have anywhere near enough power to drive AKG K712s. I already knew this from the measurements that it doesn't as the K712s are current hungry. Funny thing is that my old Oneplus 3t has more power than the Tempotec and can drive K712s louder.

And the output level as a line source is so low that this isn't very good as a DAC either though the objective measurements are excellent.

charleski

Major Contributor
And the output level as a line source is so low that this isn't very good as a DAC either though the objective measurements are excellent.
It produces 2V at 0dBFS, just like any other DAC with a single-ended output, so there’s nothing wrong with its output as a line-level source.

thyristor

It produces 2V at 0dBFS, just like any other DAC with a single-ended output, so there’s nothing wrong with its output as a line-level source.

So is there something else I don't know about the device as it's a lot more quiet at the max volume than Topping D10?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I got this because I wanted to test one of these dongles. Not that I needed one.

This doesn't have anywhere near enough power to drive AKG K712s. I already knew this from the measurements that it doesn't as the K712s are current hungry. Funny thing is that my old Oneplus 3t has more power than the Tempotec and can drive K712s louder.

Couple of things :

For the K712, try tricking the impedance/ gain sensor by plugging an empty extension/ adapter in before connecting the USB, then plug the K712 into that.

For using as a DAC, guessing you already checked the on device hardware buttons were fully up , as well as any volume control on your source?

thyristor

Couple of things :

For the K712, try tricking the impedance/ gain sensor by plugging an empty extension/ adapter in before connecting the USB, then plug the K712 into that.

For using as a DAC, guessing you already checked the on device hardware buttons were fully up , as well as any volume control on your source?

I'll try the empty adapter thing.

And volume on my player (Deadbeef on Linux as direct ALSA playback) is at full volume and the volume of Topping D10 is much louder than Tempotec feeding my DIY Whammy headphone amplifier. I don't know why as according to the measurements here both should output at around 2V.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll try the empty adapter thing.

And volume on my player (Deadbeef on Linux as direct ALSA playback) is at full volume and the volume of Topping D10 is much louder than Tempotec feeding my DIY Whammy headphone amplifier. I don't know why as according to the measurements here both should output at around 2V.

And you pushed the + button on the tempotec up to max as well as on player? When I play it via USB audio player pro on android, the app controls the hardware volume on the tempotec on one slider, but the on device buttons operate as a second slider (or max limiter) regardless of how the player volume is set.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Did you fool it into high gain?

Otherwise, it's going to sense the K712 Pro as low impedance and go into to low mode.

And I use it as a dac. It has plenty of output. Did you turn the volume up on it?

thyristor

And you pushed the + button on the tempotec up to max as well as on player? When I play it via USB audio player pro on android, the app controls the hardware volume on the tempotec on one slider, but the on device buttons operate as a second slider (or max limiter) regardless of how the player volume is set.

Yes I pressed the hardware + button like 20 times so I assume it's at the max volume.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I pressed the hardware + button like 20 times so I assume it's at the max volume.

Then there's something else going on. Amir's measurements show it can put out 2V. And that replicates my experience when it is used as a DAC

What amp are you connecting it to? And how do you know it's not putting out enough voltage?

As for fooling it into high gain, if you are not doing that, it is definitely affecting the output when used with the K712 Pro.

Top Bottom