• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro Review (headphone Adapter)

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mine refuses to work properly on my main windows 10 pc, works flawlessly on my phone and some 10 year old laptop(with win 10 too), kinda sad cause tbh it’d be all I’d need if it worked as well on my pc as on my android, runs both my 6xx and 400i 2020 as well as my liquid spark or an l30...
How does it perform with the Liquid Spark?

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had this thing and it was horrible, constant clicks and pops both on Android and Windows, on different PCs. I don't quite understand how the reviewer can miss those problems and recommend this crap.

Because it's not affecting everybody.

I own two of them. One I'm using as a DAC with Windows 10 connected to a THX 789. I've never experienced any issues with it in the past 6 months. Nor with the one I use with my phone and Android.

Now if you look at the HIDISZ S8 thread, it seems that some people do have latency issues with their particular PC motherboard and the unit. Some people have overcome it by upgrading the firmware. One person the issue stopped when they updated the bias on their motherboard.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Could the auto impedance sensing mode have kicked it into low gain with this test, but not with the HIDISZ S8?
At least in the 1KHz FFT test, both show 2Vrms output, ergo they're both in high gain mode.
Low gain, like with a 32Ω load, will limit the output to 1Vrms.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The differences between the ASR review Hidizs S8 dashboard and Tempotec Sonata HD Pro dashboard are Output (Tempotec Digital Unbalanced, Hidizs Digital Balanced) and Input (Tempotec 200 kohm, Hidizs 100 kohm).

This could explain the slightly different results between both units that should measure the same since they are the same.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got one and the extra headroom over the Apple dongle was just enough to make HD6X0s and ZMFs comfortable to use. It's nice for lounging around the home!

Thanks for this report - exactly my situation. I'm only a casual/occasional headphone listener (I listen to my main speaker-based stereo 95% of the time), but I have a pair of HD6xx's and with the Apple dongle I have to have my iPhone's volume control at max or one step down from max. I've been waiting for a Sonata test here to confirm that there's nothing weird about the specific implementation that would make its performance notably worse than the Hidizs. I think I'll pick one up soon.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only issue with it is the volume steps being too large. Such a silly issue but they refused to fix it in firmware...

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Seems like the newly reviewed ddHiFi TC44B may be the better dongle for $35 more.
Sonata HD Pro starts from 45$ with android cable only from Aliexpress with 3$ discount code. And there are usually additional holidays discounts (not much but there). If you nead/want more power out of dongle alike potable with unbalanced out check out E1DA 9038D.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The volume control on the Tempotec is completely unuseful..
I don't think it is useless. At least we can set the maximum volume we want and lower a bit further on the phone/computer. Serves as a limiter so that it never blasts our ears.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom