• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 281 58.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 174 36.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

Roland68

Major Contributor
What about if a end user/customer needs to EQ/PEQ your model of speaker in order to compensate and they are dealing with a colored speaker from you? Then what? PEQ can only solve so many issues and a colored speaker is not PEQ friendly.
You really don't need to worry, none of the so-called "audiophiles" will ever use PEQ/EQ. There is no danger.

I hate that the term “audiophile” is so abused and raped.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You really don't need to worry, none of the so-called "audiophiles" will ever use PEQ/EQ. There is no danger.

I hate that the term “audiophile” is so abused and raped.
I disagree because EQ/PEQ is so versatile and solves so many room and speaker issues. @ ASR here we encourage EQ/PEQ use. I am sure you have seen this thread.>>>

Roland68

Major Contributor
I disagree because EQ/PEQ is so versatile and solves so many room and speaker issues. @ ASR here we encourage EQ/PEQ use. I am sure you have seen this thread.>>>
You don't need to convince me.
I don't know if it's that different on other continents, but in Europe I've been dealing with these "audiophiles" for over 30 years.
And this particular group of buyers for these speakers doesn't want anything to do with EQ and PEQ.

I don't mean that in any way in a derogatory way for Eric and the Tekton speakers, I understand his approach very well and he has some interesting ideas and solutions.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I think it's pretty clear at this point Tekton is the same class of speakers as GR Research. Basically Con men who have gotten by because just about everyone out here's selling the same BS snake oil.
Apologies, but I think I disagree here... Tekton is to me from thousands of miles distance, an 'old school' maker, producing speakers to put a little 'fun' back into music reproduction in my opinion. No fancy test gear, no dsp or even a thought of active operation, just a traditional speaker from the 80's or maybe 90's which would engage the listener with a trad 'separates' system. I'd still like to hear the Lore and M-Lore in a smallish room (academic interest only in the multi-tweeter models to see how or if they actually work as against the visuals).

Does anyone know from the 'tear-down' pics what Eminence drivers are used? Would be interesting to see the raw response from this/these drivers before being loaded in a box.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its quite an bizarre thing to boldly claim that amir measured this speaker wrongly.

He has done hundreds of speakers now and many correspondents exactly with the manufacturers specs and measurements.

Why would amir measure Neumann genelec or KEF correctly ( these examples has published measurements or other third party measurements).

But the exact same method and protocols would fail with Tekton ??

And it actually follows an international standard? So the method is not pulled put of someones lower torso :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't need to convince me.
I don't know if it's that different on other continents, but in Europe I've been dealing with these "audiophiles" for over 30 years.
And this particular group of buyers for these speakers doesn't want anything to do with EQ and PEQ.

I don't mean that in any way in a derogatory way for Eric and the Tekton speakers, I understand his approach very well and he has some interesting ideas and solutions.
How do you know this?

Its quite an bizarre thing to boldly claim that amir measured this speaker wrongly.

He has done hundreds of speakers now and many correspondents exactly with the manufacturers specs and measurements.

Why would amir measure Neumann genelec or KEF correctly ( these examples has published measurements or other third party measurements).

And it actually follows an international standard? So the method is not pulled put of someones lower torso :)
Bah! Those scientists and researchers, with their "controlled tests", "matched volumes" and whatnot, what do they understand about good sound? CEA? IEC? AES? OMG! WTF! BBQ! Y'all "objectivists" can't hear the music for the sound!

How was that? I'm practicing

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

If Amir also didn't use the feet making the whole box unsealed, then yes, the measurements are somewhat wrong. Don't get me wrong, it's absurd to manufacture them like that, it's ignorant to not write in bold letters on the speaker itself that they are essential to seal the box, it's a trap for any customer or reviewer, but fact is they should be measured with the feet mounted, if the M-Lore is really built like that. The degree of difference is up to debate or measurement though

montyliam

Watched the Youthman discussion last night. Some interesting findings. Namely Eric’s problem with Erin’s review was that it was erroneous due to Erin not having the feet installed. Interestingly, Tekton have the very positive review from Steve Guttenberg linked on their site, also showing that he had no feet installed on the cabinet.

No feet + good review = overall good.
No feet + average review = TO THE COURTS.

It’s clear the feet don’t make any appreciable difference to the overall response, maybe having a little bit of effect in the bass region which wasn’t the main area of concern. It’ll be interesting to see what the next steps are if Erin remeasures with the feet in place and the result comes out almost exactly the same. It’s quite clear the feet issue is being used as a temporary excuse to justify/deny the highlighted problems. The issues are going to arise when the speakers are remeasured with the feet (which aren’t going to change anything).

Edit: There are no pictures on the website of the monitor with the feet installed, nor was Erin sent any feet or informed of their necessity. The whole feet issue is just crazy in the first place, because what sort of design has feet installed all the way through a cabinet wall, I have never in my life heard of such a thing both in commercial and DIY.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor

Stereophile measured both the Harbeth SHL5+ and 5+XD slightly incorrectly, focusing the main axis on the 'super' tweeter rather than the main one as suggested by the maker (who wasn't consulted either time I believe). this 'error' was corrected in the text describing the various plots and without checking, in both models tested several years apart. Conversely, competing models also with two tweeters in an overlap of sorts (from memory, the Stirling LS3/6) were tested on the main lower tweeters. The Harbeths still measured pretty flat in fairness and remarkably so for a trad model (the lateral dispersion, mid-bass response and box resonances seem rather better than the Stirling LS3/6 too), but to me, setting the test mic axis is a basic error that shouldn't have occurred twice on two versions of the same basic model...

The Klippel vertical plot confirms where the listening axis should be relevant to the initial mic position, so no real room for error here I'd suggest..

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
Interestingly, Tekton have the very positive review from Steve Guttenberg linked on their site, also showing that he had no feet installed on the cabinet.

It’s clear the feet don’t make any appreciable difference to the overall response, maybe having a little bit of effect in the bass region which wasn’t the main area of concern.
That's not really what I would conclude from this, rather that Steve Guttenberg is biased when it comes to his purely subjective reviews. I wouldn't even call them reviews, just reaction videos bearing as much "information" as the unboxing genre on youtube

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Filling those foot holes is not going to fix the majority of the issues Erin and Amir identified with these speakers. It’s a red herring. And comic.

I know Erin contacted Eric prior to the review. I’m not sure if @amirm did. Not necessary to the legal defense, but extremely damaging to any of his claims.

Roland68

Major Contributor
How do you know this?
As I said, I know a few of them across Europe and also many small manufacturers in this area. All you have to do is say "MiniDSP" 3 times in quick succession and they'll go up in smoke. The sentence “buy a MiniDSP” should only be said in the presence of a doctor.

Of course it's not just black and white and there are exceptions. But it's always astonishing to me when someone like that actually starts to deal with EQ/room EQ/PEQ that their taste in devices and choice of speakers change very quickly.
This is also reflected in the hi-fi shops (of which there are a surprising number in Cologne and North Rhine-Westphalia). Very few of these dealers tackle these topics, also because the two philosophies are not compatible in terms of price.
Of course, this "audiophile" circle is only a part of the market, and I don't think it's growing.
But that's way off topic now...

Shorty

I'm going out on a limb by predicting the difference of the holes blocked versus not blocked will not be audible in anyway. I think the measurements will not show much at all too. But the test is the test and we will see. I'm not a betting man as I studied electronics/the odds and know better. LoL... But for this one I would bet if possible.
Imagine….. in an almost unbelievable case of serendipity, the four open holes have led to the accidental creation of a kind of Dutch&Dutch 8c on the cheap: cardioid behaviour down to, say, 18 Hz. :cool:

jools

Forum Donor
Imagine….. in an almost unbelievable case of serendipity, the four open holes have led to the accidental creation of a kind of Dutch&Dutch 8c on the cheap: cardioid behaviour down to, say, 18 Hz. :cool:
If an infinite number of monkeys had an infinite number of routers and saws, some of them would make speakers and some of those would be sublime.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologies, but I think I disagree here... Tekton is to me from thousands of miles distance, an 'old school' maker, producing speakers to put a little 'fun' back into music reproduction in my opinion. No fancy test gear, no dsp or even a thought of active operation, just a traditional speaker from the 80's or maybe 90's which would engage the listener with a trad 'separates' system. I'd still like to hear the Lore and M-Lore in a smallish room (academic interest only in the multi-tweeter models to see how or if they actually work as against the visuals).

Does anyone know from the 'tear-down' pics what Eminence drivers are used? Would be interesting to see the raw response from this/these drivers before being loaded in a box.
Hmmm. Roger Russell acquired the first anechoic chamber at McIntosh Labs in 1972 and built a very large walk-in chamber in 1978.

Are the 70's long enough ago to be "old school?"

And they had analyzers for measuring spectra long before that. Some of these would trace spectra out on moving chart paper--that's about as fancy as test gear gets even by today's standards, in comparison with just screwing stuff together in one's garage. There's no question that, for example, Henry Kloss measured the spectra of his his various driver designs (at least) as he was trying out different materials. If Advent speakers aren't old-school, then I suddenly I feel younger. And he learned it from Vilchur.

Fun? Yeah. His responses have been a barrel of laughs.

Rick "multi-tweeter speakers were used back in the day in disco speakers because no one tweeter could drive high enough SPL" Denney

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As I said, I know a few of them across Europe and also many small manufacturers in this area. All you have to do is say "MiniDSP" 3 times in quick succession and they'll go up in smoke. The sentence “buy a MiniDSP” should only be said in the presence of a doctor.
Haha... Funny. :D
Of course it's not just black and white and there are exceptions. But it's always astonishing to me when someone like that actually starts to deal with EQ/room EQ/PEQ that their taste in devices and choice of speakers change very quickly.
This is also reflected in the hi-fi shops (of which there are a surprising number in Cologne and North Rhine-Westphalia). Very few of these dealers tackle these topics, also because the two philosophies are not compatible in terms of price.
Of course, this "audiophile" circle is only a part of the market, and I don't think it's growing.
But that's way off topic now...
No, this is on topic in a related way. @Eric Alexander has not answered my PEQ and his colored speakers question with an answer. He has skirted the question. Your details are pertinent. I've been a proponent of EQ/PEQ since the days when JVC had it on all their receivers and amps and nobody else was doing it. Major advantage on the sales floor having EQ on them.

DLS79

Forum Donor
from a few days ago!

One measure of Eric Alexander's drive and versatility is that, by his own count, 19-year-old Tekton Design has engineered and built roughly 250 different models of loudspeakers, one at a time, made to order, with a team that currently numbers eight people.

Anyone want to weigh in on how a team of 8, is able to design and test more than one new design a month?

Eric Alexander

Audio Company
Amir Majidimehr of Audio Science Review published flawed measurements placing my work and abilities in a false light.

The FACTS are Amir Majidimehr refuses to suspend or modify his unsolicited review of my work as of April 10th, 2024. Amir measured our loudspeaker from the wrong angle and he published a flawed frequency response and step response. The correct listening axis for this loudspeaker is directly on-axis [an entirely different angle] with the 8” woofer. The result is a much better frequency response than Amir is publicly conveying and an ideal step response; a step response that reflects the speaker is ‘time-aligned’. Amir's impedance measurement is also flawed and reflects the supplied feet were not used and with no provisions to plug four 1/4 - 20 threaded inserts resulting in him publishing a flawed impedance measurement, flawed distortion measurements, flawed cumulative spectral decay, and lowered bass output in the frequency response measurements due to internal cabinet pressure losses.

Amir’s picture of the Mini Lore reflects the speaker in the air (6 inches off the ground) with no feet being used to maintain proper internal cabinet pressure. His picture also reflects a sun bleached woofer calling into question just how old this speaker might be. The Mini Lore has been in production for 15 years and the speaker he’s using looks visually compromised.

Amir Majidimehr's fumbled measurements caused him to draw conclusions that produced false narratives regarding our loudspeakers performance and my work.

The Mini Lore has a solid cabinet containing internal bracing within; when you see a resonance that big at 180Hz there’s only one logical explanation… there must be a hole or a hidden cavity in the cabinet. Amir failed to discern this. Amir failed to plug the threaded inserts in the bottom of the cabinet and the result cast a negative light on the speaker. Why do we use threaded inserts with a hole through the cabinet? To make it more versatile for isolation feet and outriggers and to allow for the speaker to be perfectly leveled.

In my opinion, Amir Majidimehr should have been more amiable to suspending or modifying his review when I informed him weeks back there were problems.

I feel blindsided by Amir Majidimehr. I believe he owes me a personal and a public apology. I believe Amir Majidimehr should be doing everything in his power to rectify this problem.

Respectfully,
Eric Alexander
Audio Designer
President
Tekton Design, LLC

DLS79

Forum Donor
Amir measured our loudspeaker from the wrong angle and he published a flawed frequency response and step response. The correct listening axis for this loudspeaker is directly on-axis [an entirely different angle] with the 8” woofer. The result is a much better frequency response than Amir is publicly conveying and an ideal step response; a step response that reflects the speaker is ‘time-aligned’. Amir's impedance measurement is also flawed and reflects the supplied feet were not used and with no provisions to plug four 1/4 - 20 threaded inserts resulting in him publishing a flawed impedance measurement, flawed distortion measurements, flawed cumulative spectral decay, and lowered bass output in the frequency response measurements due to internal cabinet pressure losses.

Where is your proof?

And to be clear I'm talking real scientific data, not opinion!

Top Bottom