• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Swissonic A305

Koadl_M

i compare them to yamahas Hs80m right now, the yamahas delivere much more transients and punch play more upfront. the swissonics are a bit like its a curtain infront, the play behind the speakers if it makes sense, but deliver more stage room information. they play completely different. i dont know if its the speakers themself or the amp or both, something is a bit weired about them. now i play all 4 together, eqing them on my rme interface eq. for me its not so much about balance for mastering or stuff, it just have to sound right and have to make fun. totaly unsientific :D sorry :D

Koadl_M

How do you like the x8's ? Are you happy with them ?
and the yamahas can play far louder but are rated with lower watts then the swissonics. i will look further for other monitor options or mabe a diy kit. i am thinking about the Seas King Roy Kit, or the Mum8s from PresentDay Productions(they are preasembled but are not so much above the price for the components themself) ... long time goal speaking for a good system. but for now i am happy with the yamahas and swissonics playing together wasnt thinking that they will play this much good and fun together. i am just eqing from ear but i will make some measurements, i am relatively new to speaker tech.

OP
T

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i compare them to yamahas Hs80m right now, the yamahas delivere much more transients and punch play more upfront. the swissonics are a bit like its a curtain infront, the play behind the speakers if it makes sense, but deliver more stage room information. they play completely different. i dont know if its the speakers themself or the amp or both, something is a bit weired about them. now i play all 4 together, eqing them on my rme interface eq. for me its not so much about balance for mastering or stuff, it just have to sound right and have to make fun. totaly unsientific :D sorry :D
The Yamaha will most likely have a 3dB peak at about 1kHz similar to the Yamaha HS7 https://www.spinorama.org/speakers/Yamaha HS7/ASR/index_asr.html
This will make a big difference in sound. You can try to remove this peak or add it to the Swissonic to get a closer tonal match for comparison.

Koadl_M

thx for the suggestion, i eqed the hell out of them last night. nah they sound so different, eqing doesnt change that fact. but now i stumbled upon some easy modifications for the yamahas, bypassing the limiter is often recomended, some recaping and changing of the op amps. would also be interesting for the swissonics to mod them.

Weeb Labs

The HS80M and A305 both exhibit very different directivity indexes and and on-axis responses. Unless you are implementing your PEQ with the aid of a measurement microphone, it is very unlikely that you will be able to match them.

Dreamers2

just find out about the Swissonic X8. Can anyone confirm that they doesn't hiss? Also, is the erin review the only available one?

Formant

just find out about the Swissonic X8. Can anyone confirm that they doesn't hiss? Also, is the erin review the only available one?
Have em for a few months now, they hiss, noticeable when you put your ear 10cm off the mid driver. That being said, theyre midfield and it would be dumb to place them in a nearfield position. Theyre on stands a bit over 1,5m apart and im hearing 0 his at my sweetspot in an untreated room thats the size of entire house. I need a proper chair, my ears are at mid driver height but the tweeter's vertical directivity isnt all that bad, rotating the Md/tweeter baffle is dumb.

Max gain, dips set to push +2 on LF, against the wall position and -10dB sensitivity fed from UMC404HD with 12 o'clock position on main/mix. No sub...

I dont think i would mod them or bother upgrading drivers etc, they wont magically turn into PSI 25-M's so youre better off saving the money if thats what you monitors you actually want (or KH150).

If my room was designed by northward acoustics i would fit them with ATC's, but since i have neither room and atc's i quite like them for just under 400 euro the set, theyre still a steal.

I know o300/310, 1031a, alpha 50, 305mkII.
I dont like hs, hr, post expose krk stuff, ribbon tweeters and 1031a's.

Dreamers2

Have em for a few months now, they hiss, noticeable when you put your ear 10cm off the mid driver. That being said, theyre midfield and it would be dumb to place them in a nearfield position. Theyre on stands a bit over 1,5m apart and im hearing 0 his at my sweetspot in an untreated room thats the size of entire house. I need a proper chair, my ears are at mid driver height but the tweeter's vertical directivity isnt all that bad, rotating the Md/tweeter baffle is dumb.

Max gain, dips set to push +2 on LF, against the wall position and -10dB sensitivity fed from UMC404HD with 12 o'clock position on main/mix. No sub...

I dont think i would mod them or bother upgrading drivers etc, they wont magically turn into PSI 25-M's so youre better off saving the money if thats what you monitors you actually want (or KH150).

If my room was designed by northward acoustics i would fit them with ATC's, but since i have neither room and atc's i quite like them for just under 400 euro the set, theyre still a steal.

I know o300/310, 1031a, alpha 50, 305mkII.
I dont like hs, hr, post expose krk stuff, ribbon tweeters and 1031a's.
how does they compare to Kali lp6v2? Still can't decide which one to buy

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Erin had commented on his A306 video review:

Compared to the KALI LP-6v2: Roughly the same size. If you’re in the EU, then it looks like KALI would be about 100 Euro more. If in the US then the KALI would be about $20 more after you factor in shipping from Thomann and IEC cords. Going on memory I believe the KALI might be a little bit less linear in the upper midrange and treble area. The KALI is more linear in the midbass/midrange region. Thomann has smoother directivity. Also had little compression while the KALI’s limiter kicks in at the 102dB @ 1m measurements so about 6dB less dynamic range. Either are still great speakers.

The problem though is it seems the A306 is sold out and there is no announcement if and when it will be in stock again.

Dreamers2

Erin had commented on his A306 video review:

Compared to the KALI LP-6v2: Roughly the same size. If you’re in the EU, then it looks like KALI would be about 100 Euro more. If in the US then the KALI would be about $20 more after you factor in shipping from Thomann and IEC cords. Going on memory I believe the KALI might be a little bit less linear in the upper midrange and treble area. The KALI is more linear in the midbass/midrange region. Thomann has smoother directivity. Also had little compression while the KALI’s limiter kicks in at the 102dB @ 1m measurements so about 6dB less dynamic range. Either are still great speakers.

The problem though is it seems the A306 is sold out and there is no announcement if and when it will be in stock again.
thanks i was looking for the Swissonic X8 tho

Formant

Im affraid you have to be more specific because you're comparing a 2way nearfield with a 3 way midfield that costs the same. You wont get another 3 way midfield for 200 euro a piece and i doubt i'd be looking at anything at all other than an o310. Maybe you're not looking for something that translates, maybe you're looking for something that excites which you can use for dj'ing or just for leisure.

If youre looking for absolute budget mixing nearfields that translate decently well, go for JBL 305 MKII which are about 300 a set.

testp

From the europian deals topic:

Swissonic V8 for 99€

Swissonic V7 for 89€

Which is better or worth it more?

Though based on post #17 the V7 seems nicer.
while i don't own a ribbon tweeter, they seem to have narrow dispersion (above 10Khz) and overall narrow dispersion in vertical plane.

it could not be a big issue for many, still wanted to mention.. swissonic X8 or other versions are at good offer too

Nusse

Forum Donor
I bought the A305 a few month ago. Intend to buy the V7 as well.
v7_vs_v8.gif

Attachments

• v7_vs_v8.gif
    v7_vs_v8.gif
    464.7 KB · Views: 33

testp

while i don't own a ribbon tweeter, they seem to have narrow dispersion (above 10Khz) and overall narrow dispersion in vertical plane.

it could not be a big issue for many, still wanted to mention.. swissonic X8 or other versions are at good offer too
actually i take it back, after looking at the V series, they have waveguide around it

Basic Channel

I called Thomann to verify the tweeter was 2 inch on the v7. He had to get someone to measure them in the showroom!

Needless to say he had no graphs or info. Just reiterated the 30 day free return policy when I said they made it hard to buy them.

Basic Channel

I have bought V7s due to the deal and received them today. I am wondering if anyone has advice on how to EQ either based on the below, or whether it'd be better or worse to try and match them to my Yamaha HS5s (that were EQd) using pink noise and my Zoom H2N (with only two channels working). I kinda naively think that given any limitations of the microphone/room would be the same, then it'd maybe work.

index.php

OP
T

test1223

I have bought V7s due to the deal and received them today. I am wondering if anyone has advice on how to EQ either based on the below, or whether it'd be better or worse to try and match them to my Yamaha HS5s (that were EQd) using pink noise and my Zoom H2N (with only two channels working). I kinda naively think that given any limitations of the microphone/room would be the same, then it'd maybe work.

index.php
You can try the eq for the Yamaha HS5 by Pierre:

It should be better above about 300Hz compared with your eq.

I would try the Siwssonic out of the box a few days before trying to change anything.

Top Bottom