• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Survey:What kind of products do you want in 2019?From S.M.S.L

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Creative has a 30+ years cachet as an audio product brand if I should highlight. Not every brand can afford that. IF SMSL thinks that they can, by all means but that is not for me to judge.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This CS43131 chip is interesting, and with its 2Vrms output probably easier to implement correctly than ESS Pro chips or the latest AKM offering.
That 2Vrms is made for headphones, but nothing prevents it from being used as a 8dBu line output DAC.
If it is as easy to "get right" as say a ES9023 then it might the perfect candidate for a low power 8dBu unbalanced output DAC, and possibly 14dBu balanced with dual chip design.

bennetng

Major Contributor
This CS43131 chip is interesting, and with its 2Vrms output probably easier to implement correctly than ESS Pro chips or the latest AKM offering.
That 2Vrms is made for headphones, but nothing prevents it from being used as a 8dBu line output DAC.
If it is as easy to "get right" as say a ES9023 then it might the perfect candidate for a low power 8dBu unbalanced output DAC, and possibly 14dBu balanced with dual chip design.
It seems that those Cirrus chips are optimized for portable products.

pos

Forum Donor
It seems that those Cirrus chips are optimized for portable products.
If that means low power consumption/heat dissipation then it is something that could be beneficial in all situations.
If that thing is capable of a 2Vrms output in a 600 ohms load with a DNR if 130dB(A?) and a THD of -115dB(A?), then it will achieve similar (if not better) results with the high impedance of a line input.

Last edited:

Maki

I'm putting my vote in for a well measuring class AB fully balanced speaker amp, something like 100W/channel at 8 ohms.

sonci

I'm putting my vote in for a well measuring class AB fully balanced speaker amp, something like 100W/channel at 8 ohms.
Yes, too much dacs, why not a real class AB amplifier..

bravomail

Pls fix your Sanskit 10 DAC. There is a huge market for such devices. Integrated DAC/Amp which could compete with DX3Pro. PC Sound card/dac/amp.

noobie1

WiFi streaming capabilities would be my top feature. Ability to integrate WiFi streaming content with room correction would be very nice.

Crane

Forum Donor
All sound so goood, yea a nice integrated Amp based on SU8 performance possibly with the AKM4499 chip would be amazing. Also, same as suggested working with THX new implementation to have an all in one amp with the new AAA 888. :D

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Generally speaking, it would be good to see more DACs including some basic DSP functions, similar to DACs like the RME Adi-2 DAC, which includes on-board PEQ and equal loudness compensation.

I also like @watchnerd's all-in-one box idea.

And to put my money where my mouth is, I'd easily pay a reasonable amount north of $2k for a well engineered box meeting those specs.

For those wondering, why a bit north of $2k? Well, the ADI-2 Pro I have only does half of the things on my wish list and costs $2k with German engineering costs built in....

P.S. Forgot to include a remote in my wish list

vert

Forum Donor
An integrated amp, either a new iteration of the AD18 or something between that and the more expensive $500 amp, super easy to use, solid remote control, convenient auto on/off functionality, real family-friendly, usable in the living room, possible replacement for an AVR unit.
An update of the SA50 amp, a less bare-bones class D amp with more features, like a remote control, one or more extra inputs

Maki

Why AB instead of D? And aren't there like a gajillion 100W AB amps already in the market?
Class D stuff doesn't seem to measure as well, at least the ones measured here. The bazillion 100W AB amps on the market also cost a gorillion dollars each.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That might make a good thread, a guide to Class A/B amps listing all great and reasonably priced designs.

It'd be a very, very long thread.

Each amplifier would need comprehensive specifications, links or copies to tested results (archives of published reviews vs current tests), full descriptions of its facilities, features and valid reasons for its inclusion in such a list. A big undertaking if it is to become a useful resource and not a place where arguments about someone's favourite amplifier being included or not, take place.

I've been trying to work out something similar for the mountains of classic vintage gear I have to test/show/talk-about as there's a definite interest.

DownUnderGazza

Forum Donor
SMSL has been doing a fantastic job bringing out some really good DAC products and trying to make them better through this ASR forum!! Thank you. How about addressing the niche where many of us have our UHD TV or Projector plugged into our audio system?

My ideal AV Preamp:
-- 1-3 x HDMI v.2.0a inputs (18Gbps data rate)
-- Toslink, Coax SPDIF, AES inputs
-- 1 HDMI v.2.0a + HDCP 2.2(?) output
-- support for ARC (Audio Return Channel) so we can enjoy better sound from FreeToAir TV and/or Netflix etc
-- a well implemented DAC with ultra low noise, THD, jitter and hum
-- a Master Volume control dial, and remote
-- Balanced and RCA 2.0 outputs

Highly desirable variations could include:
-- Dolby / DTS 7.1 decoding, maybe even Dolby Atmos?
-- speaker size, crossover point, distance, delay and bass management
-- AES and Coax SPDIF output

At the moment to get this functionality, we're looking at $2k --> $20k in the AV Pre-amp market.
But how many are capable of giving us pristine audio too?

To be honest the actual DAC chip doesn't matter as long as it is well implemented! Couple of ESS9018s would be perfect.
I just want to be able to be able to get GREAT audio to go with my Dolby Vision Netflix streaming!!

Top Bottom