• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Placement

Techno

Hello fellow Audiophiles!, I'm new to this forum. I live in a 10x10 room with a 3x3 window and two doors parallel to 2 sides. I want to know which is the best spot to place my Subwoofer as I can't have the full effect of my subs. I use a 2.1 Audio setup. The amplifier is a custom built one, and uses TPA3116D2 x2 ( one for stereo and one for subwoofer(mono bridged) ). The speakers I use for stereo is Sony SS H170 and the Subwoofer is use a from a salvaged hometheatre ( 80W ). The total output of the Amp is 200W but the speakers are a Lil bit lesser than it. I tried to place it under a steel bed, which didn't give me much bass. I tired to keep it low in front of me, which also didn't work. I want to know the best spot to place my Subwoofer.

I hope the above given information is enough for my query.

Thanks.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR!

Below are taken from slides 1 & 2 of a presentation by Dr. @Floyd Toole (link to the presentation*). This presentation may be a bit too technical and difficult to understand for the uninitiated. Optimizing for high quality bass in a room can get a bit complicated. It usually takes more than 1 subs for multiple listeners (i.e. when you need to optimize for a listening area instead of 1 listening spot in the room). Measurements and EQ based on the measurement results are likely mandatory. Thus you will likely need to get a measurement mic and have the means to apply EQ.

For a start, you can to try "sub crawl" if you can't get corner placement to work.
loudspeakersandrooms_2.png

* Note: The presentation is part 3 of a three part series on the interaction of loudspeakers and room. You can copy and modify the link to download parts 1 & 2.

Anonamemouse

The quite unscientific but by far the easiest way: place the subwoofer in the chair where you will do most of your listening, play music (turn your full range loudspeakers off) and start crawling with your ears at the hight where the loudspeaker of the subwoofer will be.
Where ever it sounds best, that's where your sub should be.

clearnfc

Corner of the room is the best. However, you would need to experiment which corner gives you the best effect. Sometimes, you need to consider practical reasons too (eg. obstruction, wiring etc...).

Many pple tend to place it beside the speakers because its the easiest option. May not be the best but it is easiest.

F

freemansteve

Although "you only need 1 subwoofer", I have 2. Either side of a chimney breast, directly under my main speakers.

I did a lot a fiddling to see what sounded good, including main speaker positioning, and concluded, in my room at least:

A) one sub doesn't work as well as 2. You can tell where the bass is concentrated from.

B) 2 subs are less important for the vinyl guys, as under 250Hz is mono anyway, but plenty of modern music on digital media has bass, drums, keyboards where you can get a slight stereo sound stage - ok, say 150 to 250 Hz, but below that I cannot get any L-R placing. This is easily checked by unplugging your main speakers.

C) Left right placement on the back wall. Central worked best, more or under the main speakers. Definitely not in corners. Not sure why, but since my speakers are in alcoves around the chimney, it may be to do with reflection and absorbtion.

D) Your mileage will vary. In any given room it's best to experiment rather than blindly accept other people's wisdom. Including mine, such as it is. Just remember, everything is a compromise and won't be perfect for everything you might play.

Top Bottom