• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofers with built in PEQ

nvidia_7

Other than the Arendal and SVS subwoofers, which other subs have built in PEQ? I am using it with LSX ii's and it would be cumbersome to add in a minidsp or the like in my chain to EQ my sub, so a sub with a built in PEQ would be most ideal.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Take a look at my ‘subwoofer comparison’ spreadsheet. Look at self high pass filter column. Which indicates they have an app.

I’m not tracking PEQ support.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Rhythmic subs have a single PEQ built in. Surprisingly, it makes a big difference.

OP
N

nvidia_7

Take a look at my ‘subwoofer comparison’ spreadsheet. Look at self high pass filter column. Which indicates they have an app.

I’m not tracking PEQ support.
I did see that but really the only subs were Arendal, SVS, Rythmik, and Martin Logan's Dynamo series but they only have a 20-30hz setting. Of those, SVS is out due to their horrible group delay even for their sealed designs, Rythmik doesnt have a lot of review available for me to get enough data, and Arendal is super over priced for their output performance but they check every other box. I'm surprised more manufacturers havent released designs with onboard PEQ.

Battlebeast

I did see that but really the only subs were Arendal, SVS, Rythmik, and Martin Logan's Dynamo series but they only have a 20-30hz setting. Of those, SVS is out due to their horrible group delay even for their sealed designs, Rythmik doesnt have a lot of review available for me to get enough data, and Arendal is super over priced for their output performance but they check every other box. I'm surprised more manufacturers havent released designs with onboard PEQ.
Where did you get this information? Can you link to it or some comparisons?

OP
N

nvidia_7

Where did you get this information? Can you link to it or some comparisons?
Look at any detailed review of any SVS subwoofer. They all have terrible group delay. Here are a few comparisons, notice even Arendal's ported sub does great compared to SVS. The SB-3000 has 90ms group delay at 20hz.

EDIT: Also added in the PB-1000 and SB-1000 for fun. These subwoofers are popular, but man do they perform poorly for their price category in terms of group delay.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 12.01.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 12.01.09 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 12.00.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 12.00.58 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 12.01.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 12.01.20 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 12.05.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 12.05.17 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Since Arendal shares a lot of design elements (designers behind them, basically) with Perlisten, it´s not suprising Perlisten subs also have PEQ.

OP
N

nvidia_7

Since Arendal shares a lot of design elements (designers behind them, basically) with Perlisten, it´s not suprising Perlisten subs also have PEQ.

How interesting, Perlisten subs are currently the top performers in terms of distortion and group delay, with Arendal not far behind in group delay but not competing in distortion. I didnt know that Perlisten had their hands in Arendal, makes the price of the Arendals easier to swallow.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
How interesting, Perlisten subs are currently the top performers in terms of distortion and group delay, with Arendal not far behind in group delay but not competing in distortion. I didnt know that Perlisten had their hands in Arendal, makes the price of the Arendals easier to swallow.
Don´t quote me on this because I´m not completely sure, but I think Dan Roemer worked on the design of both speakers.

OP
N

nvidia_7

Don´t quote me on this because I´m not completely sure, but I think Dan Roemer worked on the design of both speakers.
From some quick research it seems you are right. The entire 1723 was designed by Perlisten for manufacturing by Arendal. There is even speculation that the current Perlisten line is the 1723 series with further improvements, they sure do even look similar.

Top Bottom