• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Studio monitor speakers without hiss?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't find any details about this test. I hope the test was setup for an identical output power for all speakers, which is different than setting the volume knob at the same position (e.g.: 12 o'clock). A simple dB-meter or REW+mic and an audio source playing 1Khz or another freq should probably do, but I doubt that after setting the output level to let's say 90dB SPL will cause any audible hiss noise when pausing the songs (from the listening position).

While some were more sensitive than others, and during auditioning I adjusted the volume knob a bit when switching, this is roughly accurate based on me experience at the listening position.

Adjusting volume knobs on studio monitors hasn't done much to affect hiss for me. The best I've gotten is turning a Kali IN-8 down about 90% of the way which makes the hiss a little lower though still intolerable.

Most speakers with class D amplifiers I've listened to hiss like this, regardless of their level, power conditioning, balanced inputs or lack of inputs, grounding or lack thereof, etc.

Maybe there is a guitar center or audio store near you though and you can do a more scientific test.

maty

Major Contributor
Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
^I haven't listened to them. Not enough bass extension to pique my interest when they came out, and I was very focused on trying to find a three way and/or something coaxial with bass extension.

My guess would be very little hiss if any.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
^I haven't listened to them. Not enough bass extension to pique my interest when they came out, and I was very focused on trying to find a three way and/or something coaxial with bass extension.

My guess would be very little hiss if any.

Adam audio S5V is your best bet. Tri-amped Class D and flat down to 25 Hz

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Most speakers with class D amplifiers I've listened to hiss like this, regardless of their level, power conditioning, balanced inputs or lack of inputs, grounding or lack thereof, etc.

Interesting, so Class-D amps built-into studio monitors are not how they should be. It's good that my Mackie MR6mk3 are A/B class and I have not encountered this hiss issue. However, their MR10Smk3 Class-D sub is having both background noise and a bit of hum, but not something to matter that much to talk about.

hege

Forum Donor
I had EVE SC307's before, first pair had quite loud changing variable buzzing/hissing noise. As I had demoed other quieter pair before, I knew to RMA those and got a new pair. Still, they do have noise that I could make out from 2m in my quiet basement.. not very classy for almost 2000€ a pair. Support said that their more higher end speakers have better Hypex based amps.. well, that's one way to upsell things..

Decend speakers but these 1032C are another class.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Adam audio S5V is your best bet. Tri-amped Class D and flat down to 25 Hz

I'd love to hear those.

I have a Genelec 8260 which gets down to about 18hz in my room. And has very good dispersion.

Alchemist_

Hello, are there any Presonus R65 / R80 KRK V8S4 users here ?
please tell me , do they hiss?
( There are conflicting opinions on the Internet)

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
My JBL LSR305 MK11s don't hiss - connected from TV headphone/home-audio-system analogue out mini TRS to speakers LSR 6.25mm TRS input, and LSR level controls set on 7.

And, no, I am not so deaf that I can't hear hiss.

Last edited:

evrial

My JBL LSR305 MK11s don't hiss - connected from TV headphone/home-audio-system analogue out mini TRS to speakers LSR 6.25mm TRS input, and LSR level controls set on 7.

And, no, I am not so deaf that I can't hear hiss.
You don't need to be deaf to not hear hiss, gradual loss of hearing is a natural process since the age of 30, but it is unnoticable because brain corrects all inputs, hence all the controversy.

So I'm curious, all class D amps are so ****** or manufacturers are ****** in the year 2k20? I mean headphone amps are solved at this point.

Last edited:

Alchemist_

You don't need to be deaf to not hear hiss, gradual loss of hearing is a natural process since the age of 30, but it is unnoticable because brain corrects all inputs, hence all the controversy.

So I'm curious, all class D amps are so ****** or manufacturers are ****** in the year 2k20? I mean headphone amps are solved at this point.
no. yamaha HS not hiss.
they say that tannoy gold, too, does not sizzle.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I had my JBL 305P Mk II's set up in a 7.5' triangle, input volume turned up all the way, and ubalanced connections there was no hiss. Complaints about hiss mainly come from desktop listeners.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
no. yamaha HS not hiss.
they say that tannoy gold, too, does not sizzle.

Yamaha HS7 is Class AB, not class D BTW. The heatsinks get pretty warm on the back of the unit after playing music for a while

q3cpma

Major Contributor

Genelec makes their own class D amps and reports "Self generated noise level in free field at 1 m on axis (A-weighted) ≤ 5 dB" for the 8020D and 8030C.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, isn't it a nearfield monitor?

Whatever it is, it was not in a nearfield location. Perhaps a foot or so away I could hear noise.

Alchemist_

Yamaha HS7 is Class AB, not class D BTW. The heatsinks get pretty warm on the back of the unit after playing music for a while
maybe, but I didn't find a description about the class on their website .
they say that the Focal alpha sizzles and more than it sizzles eris e XT. and they have a class exactly AB. most likely, this depends on the quality of the materials in General.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's less about the class (AB/D etc) of the amplifier in the active speakers and more about the gain and overall quality of the design. A ton of gain in the front end, and average semis in terms of their ranking for noise means hiss goes right through the amp/s.

Low noise ranked transistors cost 5-10x as much as average transistors for the same gain. But most of these modern active speakers are just using the cheapest opamp front end they can implement and a chip "solution" power amp IC.

All this could be put to bed if manufacturers quoted the residual noise (A-WTD) in uV for their internal amplifiers at wide open gain with the gain specified in dB. (V).

Top Bottom