• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Studio monitor speakers without hiss?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Zero hiss with my Yamaha HS7

Glad to hear the Yamahas have no audible hiss. How do you like them? I was thinking of grabbing a pair for my teenage son to use for near-field audio/video editing monitors. Unfortunately, he's been spoiled by some of my gear and is angling for something decent.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is nothing "high fidelity" whatsoever about audible hiss. It is against everything high fidelity has been striving for for the last 70 years- the reduction of extraneous noise.

There is no excusing it or explaining it away with hand waving about DSP and multiple amplifiers.
The excuse is the price for getting so much tech and sound quality for so small money. I personally don't mind the hiss of my monitors as at my listening distance and usual room noise its close to inaudible to me and because I use them to listen to music, not silence. Of course if someone is annoyed by it he is free to pay much more money to get a monitor with better electronics inside or get for the same money a passive setup with much less hiss but worse sound quality, almost everything in this world is a compromise.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whenever someone says this, I always wonder if it was checked during a day and if the result would be the same in the middle of the night.
I live in a quiet rural area, and do most of my listening at night, so in my case, any self noise is very obvious.
My Genelecs are very quiet, as mentioned above, my 801s have a little more noise, but even those, I have to be within 15cm/6" or thereabouts to hear anything.

It's always possible, of course, that I'm deaf!

S

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Glad to hear the Yamahas have no audible hiss. How do you like them? I was thinking of grabbing a pair for my teenage son to use for near-field audio/video editing monitors. Unfortunately, he's been spoiled by some of my gear and is angling for something decent.

I like them a lot for near field listening. Subjectively, I prefer the sound of it to any kilobuck headphones and any kilobuck IEMs in subjective quality of tonality/timbre, detail/resolution and imaging/layering. Never used them for mixing though.

BTW, the setting on the back of the unit is at +4dB which is recommended level for balanced inputs

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,
because of the measurements, I bought the JBL 305P Mark II for my desktop. The problem is, that Im very sensitive with noise, but I wanted to give them a chance.
At the end I sent them back because of the hiss.

1. What measured speakers are dead silent?
2. Are there some silent ones in the same price range with similar performance? (max. 250$/speaker)
  1. My old K&H O300D and the Genelec 8020 are dead silent. Same should be true for Neumann. My wifes JBL LSR2325 suffer from ps induced 50Hz hum. Some cheap KRKs a colleague bought for his e-piano were also noisy.
  2. I don't know one.

Funky-kun

I used to use Focal active Alpha 65 monitors and did not found some hiss. But the price is around +400€ in Europe.

I have Alpha 80s and they have hiss similar in level to JBL LSR 305 mk1 (had both at home, so can compare). Just the spectrum of the noise is different.

As you can see, random opinions on hiss are unreliable. I suggest you visit a pro audio shop with a decent active monitors collection and test it yourself.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
If you put together the HS5 review and the third-party review from soundandrecording for the HS7, it is quite good for the price and should respond perfectly to EQ if you want to go the last mile.
Really, almost nothing bad to say about them, except the port that can "fart" under 80-100 Hz, as Amir said. A subwoofer should cure this.

TungstenC

The Genelec's self noise is inaudible to me when compared to the JBL 305P MKii, when listening ~0.5m from the monitors.

Measured the hiss spectrum of the forementioned speakers. (UMIK-1, calibration loaded, mic pointed towards the tweeter ~3cm away)

The room is as quiet as I could possibly get to a point which I could hear the HDD spinning platter in my laptop from the listening position, so I shoved a pillow at it for the measurements.

Background noise:
Background Noise.png

Genelec 8030C:
Genelec 8030C.png

JBL 305P MKii:
JBL 305P MKii.png

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
About the hiss, usually the cheap tweeter class D amp is the guilty.

Yamaha HS series: two LM3886TF, cheap class AB amps. Woofer and... tweeter too.

A compromise solution, in these times, seems to be:

* Woofer with cheap class D amp.

* Tweeter with cheap class AB amp.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Design and implementation as in everything.
Keith

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have a pair of them. I demoed a wall of speakers in StoreDJ Sydney and bought those. They aren't completely silent but they are most quiet ones already. In late night there can be slight perceivable hiss.

TimoJ

Genelec 6020A's were too noisy for my usage as a nearfield computer monitor. I have also read reports that the rather new Genelec S360A has hissing noise. Definition of what is a quiet room seems to vary very much...

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Skip the active route, buy some passive speakers you love and an amplifier with very low residual noise and all your hiss problems will be history.
Anyone have experience with these ancient design Yamaha 3-way Passives at $130/pair?
Yamaha NS-6490 3-Way Bookshelf Speakers Finish (Pair) Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00018Q4GA/

May be ancient - but so is the RX-596...

Edit: There is actually a Yamaha Service Manual.. Has me thinking these might make an interesting DSP-408 project... particularly when you see the existing 'crossovers'...

Attachments

• 312-606--yamaha-ns-6490-bookshelf-speaker-manual.PDF
    135 KB · Views: 423
  • yamaha_ns-6490.pdf
    146.6 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor

I haven't seen anybody introduce it yet, but can be somewhat alleviated with the auto-shut off/standby function. The ones that have this feature usually stick it on some ridiculous 15minute timer and then require a certain DB level to re-engage, which is more annoying than not having it at all, but ideally, if the feature was good enough, it could go to sleep much sooner and kill the hiss.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I've heard these a number of times at the apartment of a friend who has a pair. They don't sound at all bad to me, although his room is very poor acoustically, and he has them close to a wall, so all I can really say is that they're not terrible - not sure whether they're actually very good. Of the HS range (each of which I've heard in different rooms making it difficult to reliably compare), the HS7s seemed to sound the best to me.

Top Bottom