• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer connection on Genelec 8361

PatriceA

Hello,
I am close to purchase a pair of Genelec 8361 (Amir's review comforted my choice!). Roon (Qobuz and NAS) is my exclusive audio source. I first intended to connect a WiiM pro that only offers coax digital out (and RCA analog). Genelec recommends AES/EBU digital input but advise against Coax >> AES cable (or Neutrik impedance adaptor). Choice is therefore between streamer with digital AES/EBU output or streamer/DAC with analog XLR output (and then an additional AD conversion). There are numerous streamers/DAC with XLR output but few with AES/EBU digital out. Rose, Auralic, ... are over budget.
What's your views and comments on prioritizing digital out vs analog out?
Ifi Audio Neo Stream and Wattson Emerson Digital fit the bill (AES/EBU out), any other choice in the same price range ?
Thanks

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,
I am close to purchase a pair of Genelec 8361 (Amir's review comforted my choice!). Roon (Qobuz and NAS) is my exclusive audio source. I first intended to connect a WiiM pro that only offers coax digital out (and RCA analog). Genelec recommends AES/EBU digital input but advise against Coax >> AES cable (or Neutrik impedance adaptor). Choice is therefore between streamer with digital AES/EBU output or streamer/DAC with analog XLR output (and then an additional AD conversion). There are numerous streamers/DAC with XLR output but few with AES/EBU digital out. Rose, Auralic, ... are over budget.
What's your views and comments on prioritizing digital out vs analog out?
Ifi Audio Neo Stream and Wattson Emerson Digital fit the bill (AES/EBU out), any other choice in the same price range ?
Thanks

Hopefully this will put your mind at ease. I was concerned about this myself before purchasing a pair of 8351b's.

After doing a good deal of reading online and consulting with our knowledgeable members here, though, I felt comfortable not worrying about an AES-EBU output on the digital source that would be feeding the Genelecs' digital input - you really only need to worry about that if you have a very long cable run between your streamer and the speakers, like maybe 15 feet or longer.

So I ordered a special digital coax to AES EBU cable from Sweetwater. It has the standard RCA-style plug used for coax on one end, and the standard XLR-style plug used for AES EBU on the other end - but the cable itself is 110 ohm as opposed to the 75 ohm used for typical analogue RCA to XLR cables.

But my Genelecs were arriving several days before the special cable, and I was impatient so I ordered a 6-foot Monoprice analogue RCA to XLR cable, 75 ohm, from Amazon for $8.98 because I could get overnight Prime shipping.

I hooked up my digital source to the Genelecs using that stop-gap cable, and they sounded perfect: no buffering, no stutters, no lag, no "ticks" or "clicks," no nothing - just a perfect, flawless connection.

The "proper" cable arrived in the mail several days later, but it was stiffer and I didn't like the color (it was only available in a bright blue and I prefer black), so I just left the inexpensive "wrong" cable connected. It's 10 months later and there hasn't been a single issue.

So just get a coax to XLR cable and be done with it. No need to hunt for a streamer with an AES EBU output, and no need to hunt down an optical TOSLINK to AES EBU converter or adapter cable either.

Last edited:

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
I use roon > pi3 > Matrix-X spdif3 > 8361a, which is perfect and affordable.

Used roon > pi3 > Allo Digi One > Funk casa-t > 8361a before with great results. Casa-t cable incorporates a transformer that takes care of 75>110 ohm. Still consumer voltage, though.

Last edited:

YSDR

For native AES/EBU output, a MiniDSP SHD Studio for example.

OP
P

PatriceA

MiniDSP SHD : expensive / no ROON / Dirac useless (Genelec GLM DSP/Correction). In that respect IFi Audio Neo Stream is the best choice for me. But WiiM pro and direct cabling Coax >> AES/EBU will most probably be my choice.

OP
P

PatriceA

You are right, Roon ready now, Audiophonics web site only mention Volumio. This is also an excellent choice, but 1590 € in Europe (1299 USD !).

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
SHD adds analog in and out. So you might connect an analog preamp or an analog source directly. Thats smart.

In addition you can use dirac, in case you dislike GLM.

OP
P

PatriceA

SHD Studio has only digital ins/outs, which is fine with me. I can connect TV through Toslink. Ifi has RCA analog outs (it's a streamer /DAC). SHD Studio is a pure streamer (no DAC).

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
OP
P

PatriceA

I aim at the same setup ! I have Synology NAS and Qobuz through Roon...

Top Bottom