• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is a passive USB to AES/EBU adapter adequate?

Mr. Haelscheir

Hello. I intend on acquiring a pair of Genelec 8341As and GLM Kit for use with my Windows PC for nonprofessional use. I lately realized that the GLM Network Adapter only implements the control network, whereby I separately need to feed the SAMs an AES/EBU input to be daisy-chained through units. I currently lack an audio interface or dedicated sound card for providing that AES/EBU signal.

In https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-macbook-pc-to-genelecs-aes-ebu-input.37726/, https://www.ebay.com/itm/393399213417 is recommended by one, another reporting success with it; the eBay reviews also suggest that it does the job. It seems like this passive USB to AES/EBU adapter came out circa 2021, and as such, most are only familiar with USB to S/PDIF converters followed by S/PDIF to AES/EBU conversion, else one must use an expensive dedicated professional interface or soundcard with many other frills that I will likely never use. Are there any technical risks in the use of the linked adapter when the signal in question is digital? I suppose with its running on USB power, it might struggle to drive longer XLR cables, else there likely should be no audible impact (I might even for neatness's sake attach it with one of these). Are there concerns regarding the quality of the clock signal in the passive USB to AES/EBU interface that warrant more expensive audio interfaces with precision clocks?

Maybe https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/do-we-need-a-ddc-or-is-it-bs.33949/ applies, maybe not.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello. I intend on acquiring a pair of Genelec 8341As and GLM Kit for use with my Windows PC for nonprofessional use. I lately realized that the GLM Network Adapter only implements the control network, whereby I separately need to feed the SAMs an AES/EBU input to be daisy-chained through units. I currently lack an audio interface or dedicated sound card for providing that AES/EBU signal.

In https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-macbook-pc-to-genelecs-aes-ebu-input.37726/, https://www.ebay.com/itm/393399213417 is recommended by one, another reporting success with it; the eBay reviews also suggest that it does the job. It seems like this passive USB to AES/EBU adapter came out circa 2021, and as such, most are only familiar with USB to S/PDIF converters followed by S/PDIF to AES/EBU conversion, else one must use an expensive dedicated professional interface or soundcard with many other frills that I will likely never use. Are there any technical risks in the use of the linked adapter when the signal in question is digital? I suppose with its running on USB power, it might struggle to drive longer XLR cables, else there likely should be no audible impact (I might even for neatness's sake attach it with one of these). Are there concerns regarding the quality of the clock signal in the passive USB to AES/EBU interface that warrant more expensive audio interfaces with precision clocks?

Maybe https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/do-we-need-a-ddc-or-is-it-bs.33949/ applies, maybe not.
Given that USB can carry at least 24 channels of 24/96 LPCM, it would be awesome if we could have such a converter, though I would like a reclocker as well, so it could feed more than one DAC.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I don't know what they mean when they describe it as 'passive' - I suspect poor translation as anything implementing the USB audio standards has to be active. From the limited info available it seems to be a basic UAC2 device (based on needing a Windows driver but 'Just Working' on Mac, linux etc.) so unless they messed up the implementation it should be fine. The thread you linked suggests they haven't messed it up.

USB power is plenty even for long cables. If the clock is in spec it shouldn't be an issue for any competent receiver - there should never be a need for a source with a precision clock. I haven't seen it measured on the Genelecs, but their other measurements tend to be more than competent.

OP
Mr. Haelscheir

Mr. Haelscheir

I don't know what they mean when they describe it as 'passive' - I suspect poor translation as anything implementing the USB audio standards has to be active. From the limited info available it seems to be a basic UAC2 device (based on needing a Windows driver but 'Just Working' on Mac, linux etc.) so unless they messed up the implementation it should be fine. The thread you linked suggests they haven't messed it up.

USB power is plenty even for long cables. If the clock is in spec it shouldn't be an issue for any competent receiver - there should never be a need for a source with a precision clock. I haven't seen it measured on the Genelecs, but their other measurements tend to be more than competent.
I suppose "passive" here implies USB power for internal electronics as opposed to the unit having a separate power supply. I will report once the unit arrives.

OP
Mr. Haelscheir

Mr. Haelscheir

narrator: and he didn’t
:( Thank you very much for the reminder. In short, it indeed works exactly as intended and can play some great music, mind can take a bit of a beating as in the time I took outdoor in-ear microphone HRTF measurements for binaural head-tracking. The 192 kHz sample rate version was useful for taking faster high-resolution or lower-noise sine sweeps with REW (though I had forgotten that my Axagon ADA-17 from the Earfish measurement kit only supported up to 48 kHz).

dj94030

I bought a bit more sophisticated box from aliexpress with bluetooth for like $90 and it also just works.

Top Bottom