• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

StormAudio ISP 16 MK2 Review (AV Processor)

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is all I know about it. I’ve never used it.

I liked its predecessor, Dolby Volume, but DV had separate loudness (modeler) and compressor (leveler) components. I don’t know you can have one without the other in the successor.
I have seen and looked at Dolby Volume before but I think it only applies to Dolby sources, right? If so I would want Storm to implement something that was system wide with all sources DTS, etc Auro, etc.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have seen and looked at Dolby Volume before but I think it only applies to Dolby sources, right? If so I would want Storm to implement something that was system wide with all sources DTS, etc Auro, etc.

On at least the 1st Gen Anthem MRX (x00) DV worked on stereo as well.

It didn’t occur to me that the new one wouldn’t be global (operating after any decoding) as well, but you could be right.

Krobar

It didn’t occur to me that the new one wouldn’t be global (operating after any decoding) as well, but you could be right.
At least with my Arcam those modes appear to be tied to DSU (Dolby Surround Upmixer), ie. you must be using Dolby Surround mode for them to work. They do work when upmixing stereo or multichannel content and also work for Atmos content.

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There's not much DTS anymore. I didn't realize DV was even a thing?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Tovarich007

And few will use a turntable I guess... Most of them have probably digitalized their vinyls yet and listen mostly to high resolution digital sources.
This processor, and others like the Trinnovs, is for those who know that digital well done is superior.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
And few will use a turntable I guess... Most of them have probably digitalized their vinyls yet and listen mostly to high resolution digital sources.
This processor, and others like the Trinnovs, is for those who know that digital well done is superior.
I wonder what practical advantages you'd get over sending an analogue signal on conventional cable.

I'm not saying that keeping everything digital and use a set of Genelecs in digital mode is a bad idea, but what I wonder is if it's that, that much better than using analogue signals.

chelgrian

Dolby have a history of tying technologies, for example for there is an entire generation of AVRs that can't use 3rd party up mixers like Auro with Dolby content as Dolby forbid it via their license agreement. This restriction was withdrawn in 2019. I don't know but I could imagine some antitrust threatening from the 3rd parties they had cut off at the knees behind the scenes...

Krobar

Dolby have a history of tying technologies, for example for there is an entire generation of AVRs that can't use 3rd party up mixers like Auro with Dolby content as Dolby forbid it via their license agreement. This restriction was withdrawn in 2019. I don't know but I could imagine some antitrust threatening from the 3rd parties they had cut off at the knees behind the scenes...

I think in this case it is down to the DSU version used and manufacturer preference. Known DSU versions so far are 1.3, 1.6, 1.7 & 1.8. 1.3 allowed DV with anything, 1.6 tied it to Dolby Surround Night mode for many brands (Denon/Marantz did not offer this as they have their own volume tech). Of course these version changes could be seen as Dolby exerting their power but they are not actually restricting which sources/bitstreams DV can be applied to only insisting you use the Dolby upmixer with it.

I'm not sure what the deal is with newer version as very few AVRs use these newer versions so far.

Music707

I wonder what practical advantages you'd get over sending an analogue signal on conventional cable.

I'm not saying that keeping everything digital and use a set of Genelecs in digital mode is a bad idea, but what I wonder is if it's that, that much better than using analogue signals.

In my view the motivation to make a digital recording of a vinyl could be:
- Playing the digital recording saves the vinyl from additional wear and there is no need to clean the vinyl from time to time.
- Starting the replay is easier (e. g. making a click in your digital player vs. putting the disc on the turntable etc.).

Those who just love the ritual of spinning a vinyl will not or at least not completely switch to using a digital recording, of course.

Needless to say that the signal quality heavily depends on the quality of the gear involved, be it analog or digital.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No one that can afford this processor would even think of not using an independent high end phono stage.
I use this with the Storm... Parks Audio Puffin with optical out to the Storm. Works very well.

chelgrian

I think in this case it is down to the DSU version used and manufacturer preference. Known DSU versions so far are 1.3, 1.6, 1.7 & 1.8. 1.3 allowed DV with anything, 1.6 tied it to Dolby Surround Night mode for many brands (Denon/Marantz did not offer this as they have their own volume tech). Of course these version changes could be seen as Dolby exerting their power but they are not actually restricting which sources/bitstreams DV can be applied to only insisting you use the Dolby upmixer with it.

I'm not sure what the deal is with newer version as very few AVRs use these newer versions so far.

And indeed that claims that it was the owner of DTS complaining to the EU commission as a prelude to antitrust action that got Dolby to backdown.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
In my view the motivation to make a digital recording of a vinyl could be:
- Playing the digital recording saves the vinyl from additional wear and there is no need to clean the vinyl from time to time.
- Starting the replay is easier (e. g. making a click in your digital player vs. putting the disc on the turntable etc.).

Those who just love the ritual of spinning a vinyl will not or at least not completely switch to using a digital recording, of course.

Needless to say that the signal quality heavily depends on the quality of the gear involved, be it analog or digital.
My wondering is a bit more specific. Let´s say you use a Storm Audio processor with Genelec speakers. Genelec can take both analogue an digital signal, something Storm Audio can do too. I wonder what the difference is and if it is audible.

Tovarich007

That wasn't my point.

Of course, an analogue digitizied source isn't better than the original analogue signal, no matter which type of cable being used.

But, I considered that for most of the people who can afford high end processors like Storm Audio or Trinnov, the analogue sources are yet secondary sources.
That's the reason why most of them convert them into (good) digital), not that they become better this way, but because they can be stored, preserved and tranferred much more easily than in analogue source.

Anyway, for these great amateurs, now the most important sources of music and sound are high rez digital, and not their vinyl, digitized or not

The technical superiority of high rez digital media over analog ones is not a belief, it's a proven fact.

ban25

Digitizing vinyl is about preserving it. I have a number of fresh 180g and 200g pressings that I will spin on any occasion. If one of my copies of Kind of Blue develops a problem, I'll just buy a replacement. But I also have 60+ year old vintage records that I've inherited which I have carefully washed and digitized to avoid unnecessary wear and tear on them.

ban25

My wondering is a bit more specific. Let´s say you use a Storm Audio processor with Genelec speakers. Genelec can take both analogue an digital signal, something Storm Audio can do too. I wonder what the difference is and if it is audible.
You may want to do some research into Nyquist/Shannon to better educate yourself on the topic. Here's a good layman's introduction:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
You may want to do some research into Nyquist/Shannon to better educate yourself on the topic. Here's a good layman's introduction:

Thanks! I knew about the preservation of LP´s since it´s a delicate material (as was graphite before), but this is extra knowledge. :)

So esentially, sending the digital signal from the processor to the speaker assures that there will be no alteration of the signal, while an analogue signal may get alterations. Since the digital signal will be converted to analogue in the speakers, the chances of alteration are reduced to the minimum.

Last edited:

chelgrian

All other things being equal the additional DA-AD steps are probably not audible.

If you had Genelec with GLM and using AES and using that for bass management and room correction then you are paying for a lot of features on a Storm you wouldn't use.

Storm now do the ISP Evo which is digital only so at least you aren't paying for 16 channels of DA conversion if you chose the Genelec + AES route.

ethanchiu10

All other things being equal the additional DA-AD steps are probably not audible.

If you had Genelec with GLM and using AES and using that for bass management and room correction then you are paying for a lot of features on a Storm you wouldn't use.

Storm now do the ISP Evo which is digital only so at least you aren't paying for 16 channels of DA conversion if you chose the Genelec + AES route.

Except it will costs the same as the MK3 anyway lol.

Top Bottom