• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

StormAudio ISP 16 MK2 Review (AV Processor)

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Best option for expensive processors is digital outs.
So we can use any dac we like, or digital active speakers.

Tlsrulz

So the next step now is multi outboard DACs.. like how we all went from AVRs -> AVPs... alongside videophiles with their Lumagens !

Ellisr63

Can the ISP 16 MK2 be used as a crossover too? I want to biamp 5 speakers, and then run 4 heights and a sub.

HighImpactAV

Can the ISP 16 MK2 be used as a crossover too? I want to biamp 5 speakers, and then run 4 heights and a sub.
Yes. Here is a clip from the manual showing 2-way speakers.
Crossover.png

Ellisr63

How many filters or PEQs can you do for each speaker?

abhijitnath

It looks like they've really made the software prettier since I played with Bryston's SP4 version of this processor. If that processor had played better with Logitech Harmony remotes I'd have bought it and be a very happy owner.

The functionality was all there before but this looks really sleek! The bass management flexibility is second to none, though when Dirac really sorts out DLBC that will be less of a selling point. Aside from that, what you get here over Monoprice HTP-1 (aside from higher voltage analog preouts, which are IMO irrelevant in most use cases) are the digital output options and the ability to group channels into a speaker, with individual high-/low-/band- pass and PEQ for each section. HTP-1 has PEQ and shelf filters in addition to Dirac but not the high-/low-/band- pass capability.

Honestly as someone who has experience with both if you’re using DLBC for bass management and not running active speakers directly from the AVP or with digitally-connected controllers it’s hard to argue the value added here over HTP-1. Especially if you use the “pinksoda” alternate HTP-1 UI.
Hi- what is this pinksoda ui? I googled and d couldn't find anything at all on it. TIA!

Krobar

I think people are ignoring the fact that the Storm 24 channel is not alot more money, offers full 24 channel DTS and Atmos decode and is by far the cheapest option on the market offering native 24 channel support.

sth70

Their support for products is unbelievable. First hand experience working for the former distributor in India. They are as honest as they can be about their shortcomings and glitches and are always ready to work over it. ( Never conducted any measurements )

Products are excellent in terms of connectivity ; are modular with an array of options.

Less hype and a lot of substance.

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Storm Audio ISP 16 MK2 high-end Audio Video Processor (AVP). It was kindly loaned to me for testing and costs US $15,000.

This is one serious looking AV Processor:

View attachment 122657

As you see, it has a highly informative and detailed display. I will show more later. For now, the business end is in the back with various options it can be configured:

View attachment 122658

Where is a fan in the back, I don't recall hearing it over my normal equipment noise.

The ISP is targeted at custom installation (CI) market and it shows from not only myriad of triggering and automation but also incredibly well done web based user interface (protected through two levels of passwords). While the typical AV processor looks and feels like a mass market AVR with balanced outputs and no amps, the ISP goes to town, provide a level of control, sophistication and transparency into the device that I have not seen before. Clearly there is a ton of software that has been developed to manage this system. Here are some example screenshots:

Virtual remote control:
View attachment 122659

Triggers:

View attachment 122660

Status panel:
View attachment 122661

Love this real-time display of what the device is seeing. No more guessing as to why there is no sound coming out:
View attachment 122662

Most useful is the parametric EQ (in addition to automated DIRAC auto EQ):

View attachment 122663

Notice how it can even import filters from REW! All of this is implemented through the web interface so you can control it using any device yet the output looks professional like an "app."

Really, everybody else is competing to see who can get a score of C instead of D and Storm Audio ISP is relaxing with a score of A on the user interface and control!

Some background is in order. Storm was kind enough to send me this processor back in November of last year I think. They are the only high-end AV processor company to choose to do so. I tested the unit a few weeks later and found some performance issues. As is my common practice, when manufacturers send me something and I find problems, I provide feedback to them prior to publication. Sometimes this causes defensiveness on the part of the company. Not here. Storm immediately took the results in and worked on resolving the issues I had identified. They provided updated firmware to me for testing but by then, I was on to testing mountain of other gear. This went on until about a couple of weeks ago when I finally got around to testing and creating the results you see. Support from the company during this time was superb.

NOTE: since I had the unit here for so long, and because it was taking so much space, I already shipped my unit back to them a couple of days ago. So please don't ask me to test it more!

Storm ISP MK2 Measurements
As usual, we start with our dashboard which is created by my PC's Intel GPU generating the HDMI signal in 7.1 configuration but with two channels having output on them:
View attachment 122665

Distortion is at -102 dB or so (second harmonic) so with a bit of noise, the SINAD averages about 99 dB. Company measurements though showed better results:

View attachment 122666

Storm is using the HDMI output form the Audio Precision analyzer which tends to generate cleaner signals than my PC. Resolving this difference was hard so instead of sitting on this review for another six months :), I decided to average their two channels and my two channels and arrive at a single number for the SINAD rating:

View attachment 122667

So definitely good and hanging with just a handful of competent AV processors out there.

The unit is of course capable of much more output:
View attachment 122669

As you see, there is a broad, optimal output voltage range going as high as 8 volts. So to the extent your power amp has better performance at higher input levels (e.g. Benchmark AHB2 and Purifi without input buffer), you could have a net benefit even though the ISP MK2 doesn't improve by itself.

Dynamic range is decent:
View attachment 122668

Linearity shows accuracy of 18 bits:
View attachment 122670

This is a limitation of an internal IC they are using. Jitter test shows very clean noise floor:

View attachment 122671

Very nice to see a proper reconstruction filter for 44.1 kHz as even high performance DACs often get this wrong:
View attachment 122672

IMD vs level shows classic "IMD hump" although I don't believe they use an ESS DAC:

View attachment 122673

Sweeping the frequency gives us the often seen, elevated noise+distortion:
View attachment 122674

As usual, we need to run an FFT to see the reason behind this:

View attachment 122675

We can see spikes well in ultrasonics that is causing this graph to look the way it does. Since they are not audible, this is strictly a measurement hygiene issue.

Multitone test shows 18 bits of distortion-free range:
View attachment 122676

Conclusions
I am usually hard core about just looking at performance of devices and not taking into account the functionality they provide. Here though, the company differentiates itself so much that I felt compelled to give them some extra points. Add excellent support to objective performance that is competent and you have the making of a device that should be in your sight if you can afford it.

I am happy to recommend the StormAudio ISP MKII. I applaud them for their drive to keep improving their products and spirit of collaboration they provided to me during this testing. For the first time, I thought if I needed an AV Processor, this is what I would like to have in my system!

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

herculepirate

Well, from recent reviews I believe both the Storm Audio ISP Mk2 and the Trinnov Altitude 16 were recommended.
Thanks Stuart,
Unfortunately both are above my affordability range.
I looking for various options in a well designed and measured product. AVR with preamp outputs....

Looks like there is a huge gap in the ethical AV market.

StuartC

Forum Donor
Thanks Stuart,
Unfortunately both are above my affordability range.
I looking for various options in a well designed and measured product. AVR with preamp outputs....
If the primary reason you need an AVR/AVP is for surround sound when watching TV/Films then just buy whatever has the features you require. I have a specific setup for listening to 2 channel music, but I doubt very much whether in a blind test I'd be able to tell the difference between my Denon AVR-X6300H and my Topping DAC (both use the same amplifier and speakers) because my room is untreated and I'm unlikely to be allowed to put absorbers and diffusers everywhere.

What the Denon offers is 5.1.4 sound in my living room, independent Zone 2 audio and video output to the kitchen, ROON compatibility, Satellite TV x2, Android TV box, Oppo UDP, a couple of consoles, and all without the need for separate amps (although I do pre-out to a Parasound A21 for the FL and FR speakers in the living room).

Many people on here bleat on about AVRs having crap measurements, yet most of them fail to appreciate the actual use case of an AVR. And, ultimately, speakers and sound treatment (room or DSP) are probably 90% of the difference in sound quality (in my opinion).

My advice is buy the Denon 3700, 6700 or 8500 (all reviewed positively on here) depending what features you require and then enjoy.

Top Bottom