• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

StormAudio ISP 16 MK2 Review (AV Processor)

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Gotta love how Focal just slaps on $5k because of their name.

No, I don't think he only adds 5000 so that he is called focal.
1/ look at the Storm website there is no AVR only Audio Video Processor (AVP) or audio video power amplifier.
2/ If you look at the site Focal C is the only AVR and I do not think that Focal would take the risk of distributing a garbage and does not hide on its site that it is manufactured (it is written on the back of the device)) by Storm Audio with amplification class D Pascal .
So I think it's a win-win agreement between the 2 companies... one benefits from a distribution network and a worldwide after sales service and the other adds a high performance product to its high end catalog with its logo while saving the r&d research and licenses for such a product if they wanted to do it themselves...
for the price, it is only a question of means as for all.

mant

I am not a technician to tell you the reasons, but I have two ears and two devices that I can compare.

Reactions: Lsc

audioBliss

The performance difference between the storm and HTP-1 is not that crazy but the price is.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
objective audio measurements equal to what we are seeing in the current DAC marketplace.

Honestly, what am I missing?

Processors are not (just) DACs. They are Processors. Their task is to Process, not just convert.
Their performance depends on their processing ability.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I don't think he only adds 5000 so that he is called focal.
1/ look at the Storm website there is no AVR only Audio Video Processor (AVP) or audio video power amplifier.
2/ If you look at the site Focal C is the only AVR and I do not think that Focal would take the risk of distributing a garbage and does not hide on its site that it is manufactured (it is written on the back of the device)) by Storm Audio with amplification class D Pascal .
So I think it's a win-win agreement between the 2 companies... one benefits from a distribution network and a worldwide after sales service and the other adds a high performance product to its high end catalog with its logo while saving the r&d research and licenses for such a product if they wanted to do it themselves...
for the price, it is only a question of means as for all.
Can you explain what the Focal does that the unit Amir reviewed does not?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, I'll ask a stupid question (not really knowing the AVP world). Why do AVP/AVRs units costing thousands of dollars have audio measurements that are noticeably below those of a cheap DAC? e.g A Topping D10S has better measurements than this unit.....let alone something like a D70.

Yes, there is a vast differentiation of features but is it asking too much to expect audio performance of an 15K AVP to be able to beat the audio measurements of a $100 DAC? There just seems to be a large gap in this marketplace waiting for someone to put out an AVP that produces objective audio measurements equal to what we are seeing in the current DAC marketplace.

Honestly, what am I missing?

Your missing DSP processing for 16 to channels on the upper tier products.
There must be additional attenuation for REQ (Dirac 10 dB) and for bass management for all channels, the more you have the smaller the speakers are likely to be.

Some vendors choose to attenuate based on channel counts, some just let it fly, possibly overdriving the subwoofer channel, some place limiters on the sub, and there may be other solutions. I suspect all DSPs are also not equally well implemented and some may have different performance on the main, center, rears, surrounds, and the rest of the channels.

Perhaps attenuation is applied for some of ASR testing. Let's assume that a processor must reserve 16 dB of attenuation for filters and bass management.
So, if starting at 100 then, you are down to 84. At common listening levels the SINAD may be down into the mid to low 80's (1 watt). Account for attenuation and SINAD could drop into the 60's. At this point, @peng might get concerned :p

It is also worth understanding the market. People who hire professionals have the coin to rely on service providers to select components. Money will not be the overriding concern. The installer is looking for prestige products with good performance, ease of configuration, flexibility, and automation! The customer wants a high-end system and and a single button to push, plus volume up/down ;)
The customer has little or no interest in performance specifications and that is why they are very hard to find on the product website and within their literature.

I am not saying that the Storm and other products are not good/great. They may have better performance when processing is engaged over less costly products.
Performance may be consistent across channels on some and not on others. We simple have no measurement data for these products with all cylinders firing.

Thanks to ASR there is a 2-channel baseline that is among the best for AVR/AVPs, was well it should be. Could it be better, sure but I don't think it matters to the target market. Of course, this may change now that there is ASR out there to provide some data. These manufactures may feel a need to preserve their reputations.

At this point, we only see the smaller manufacturers willing to send products to ASR. IMO, most manufacturers still fear there is more to lose than to gain.

- Rich

Shige

the main distinction seems to be 12 channels of amplification in the Focal Astra whereas the Storm is a processor so needs a separate amplifier.

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
Astral 16 is an audio-video processor and amplifier

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have one to test....
I watched their livestream with Audioholics, their Atmos visualizer is amazing (you can see all the sound objects in an Atmos mix, so see what is happening in real time and to see how much effort the studio put into making the Atmos soundtrack, they state Woman Woman was I think a simple 5.1 base layer with 4 height objects (Atmos for cinema can have 118 objects, not sure the cap for home release, I think 32).

HighImpactAV

The StormAudio MK2 reviewed is my own personal unit that I sent to Amir. I even paid for the shipping. :) I owned the unit long before sending it in for review. I also own the MK1 which has been converted to a Mk1.5 and has the latest HDMI board. I am a StormAudio dealer in Omaha, NE.

I own the AVB board and use digital output to an RME M-32 DA Pro. As soon as I get my MK2 back, I'll be transferring the AVB board from the MK1.5.

Fans - If you look at the screenshot Amir took, the unit was running at 39C. It runs very cool and the fans seldom come on. When they do, they run at 50%. I have had a unit next to me on my desk getting use 8+ hrs a day and it is almost inaudible from 1M away.

ISP Fan.png

Decoding - All the MK2 ISP units have a 24 channel decoding board for Atmos, DTS:X Pro, and Auro-3D.

DSP - All the MK2 ISP units have 32 channels of DSP already on board. The difference in the units is that the outputs vary. There are 16, 24, and 32 analog outputs and 32 channel digital output capability.

Why 32 channels? - You can use the ISP for Active speakers, a second theater/media room, or whole house audio

Why 34 channels on the back? - Each ISP also has a two channel stereo downmix output. These outputs downmix the active zone and can be used for output to a headphone amp, D-Box, or even a bathroom zoon.

HDMI - All inputs and outputs on the HDMI board are 18 Gbps. From Sebastien at StormAudio:
Three years ago, considering the issues we had with the design we were using (7+2 board, same as Trinnov) and the impossibility to solve them all, we decided to move on our own and specify a new HDMI board for our ISP that would meet the need for a full 7+2 HDMI2.0 matrix with ARC/eARC feature. Our vendor research lead us to Cypress in Taiwan, being an expert in HDMI devices based on the Panasonic solution. We designed the board with them, under our specifications within 6 months (and a lot of effort in firmware development) and we introduced it as a premier on the Focal Astral 16. As we spent money and time in developing this new module with Cypress, we had an exclusivity agreement that would last one year, before they could make their own module to sell to the competition. Amongst them is of course Trinnov and what they have announced is actually that they will integrate the Cypress version of the module they made for us, in a slightly different form factor, but with all same features and of course same chips from Panasonic.​
We are already discussing the next steps (real HDMI2.1 development up to 48 Gbps) but without a roadmap to give, as this is “all new” and with a lot of complexity compare to the already troublesome HDMI2.0/HDCP2.2 case.​

TimoJ

I wonder: why Amir again found issues that needed fixing? This seems to be a common occurrence with AVRs/AVPs, I would have thought that a 15k device was already fully tested and tweaked by the manufacturer.

Anthony T

Why wasn’t the review that was undertaken last year not published? Reviews that find problems aren’t always afforded this honour, so why in this case?
Seems a bit galling to do it with a product this expensive and raises the question of competence of the manufacturers imo.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why wasn’t the review that was undertaken last year not published? Reviews that find problems aren’t always afforded this honour, so why in this case?
Seems a bit galling to do it with a product this expensive and raises the question of competence of the manufacturers imo.
Amir has stated that is the company sends it to him, he gives them the privilege of checking the measurements beforehand, and to make necessary changes if they see fit. Any changes would thus be in a software fix, so existing owners will benefit.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I wonder: why Amir again found issues that needed fixing? This seems to be a common occurrence with AVRs/AVPs, I would have thought that a 15k device was already fully tested and tweaked by the manufacturer.
The company does have proper test and measurement system. The issue is that we really zoom into performance of these devices with our testing and as such, uncover issues not noticed as such by the companies. We also provide competitive information which puts the data in context. I am pretty sure moving forward our suite of measurements will be used to test future designs and products.

pst1977

Copy-paste from the 3rd paragraph:

"As is my common practice, when manufacturers send me something and I find problems, I provide feedback to them prior to publication".

Top Bottom